IGNORED

Lowrance 250C vs 500C

eagleeye

I am toying with getting one or the other. I really would like the 500, but have heard about the hard drive issues on a bike. It might be a little big but other than that has a lot of features.

On the other hand, the 250 is a card reader, so doesn't have the hard drive issues but a lot less gps than the 500.

My question is, who has either one, and what is your opinion of yours?

BTW, $ is an issure, so the Zumo is out.

Thanks,

Steve

I presume you mean the 350c? That's what I have. I can't comment on the 500 except I felt that the slightly smaller size might be more convenient for me. I've mounted mine with the RAM mounts on the handlebars and switch between the bike and the car. Easy to use, lots of features and I have not had any vibration problems. I had a friend hard wire the bike for me and all I can tell you is that I am very happy with the unit.

Good luck with your decision.

Eugene

I have the I-way 250 and I like it real well compact in size and works great. Al Bates also has one and he loves it as well. If you have a mp3 player thats good because only real issue not much for mp3 songs on I-way 250. You can add a differant card with all your music but then you have no gps service so its one or the other.

In other words the I-way 250 is great as any other if you have a seperate mp3 player or XM or Sirus radio hook up which I have.

Hope this helps.

Star4772, Joe :080402gudl_prv:

I had an iWay 250C for about 6 months. Bought it Refurbished with a 90 day warranty. Used it 3 times and loved it. BUUUUUUUT, on my 4th use, it died. Totally. Won't "boot up" at all. Tried everything, she's dead. And since it was refurbed, "tough luck, Mr. Customer".

Don't buy one refurbed. Period.

I have the 500C and really like it. I have not had any problems with the hard drive at all. I am not sure that Lowrance still sells it though, last time I checked their products they weren't advertising it, but did have a 600C, difference is that the 500C has 10 gigabytes of memory for mapping and ten for MP3s, etc. The 600C has 25 gigabytes of memory for mapping and 5 for MP3s.

I like the bigger screen, and the large space for MP3s. I used to have mine mounted on the handlebars, just moved it to the crown above the gas cap.

I have the 500C and really like it. I have not had any problems with the hard drive at all. I am not sure that Lowrance still sells it though, last time I checked their products they weren't advertising it, but did have a 600C, difference is that the 500C has 10 gigabytes of memory for mapping and ten for MP3s, etc. The 600C has 25 gigabytes of memory for mapping and 5 for MP3s.

I like the bigger screen, and the large space for MP3s. I used to have mine mounted on the handlebars, just moved it to the crown above the gas cap.

I have a 500c as well.. however I do recall some shortcomings with the 600c that had people wondering.. why the higher number if the unit isn't as good? I can't recall the specifics at the moment, but I'm sure a Google search will turn up more info.. Anyway.. I love the 500c. Lots of features and works like a champ on the bike. It is a little heavy though, but the touchscreen works great. Someone even made a biker friendly skin for it that makes the buttons on the touchscreen larger for easier use with gloves. Also, the touchscreen is BRIGHT. Even in direct sunlight, it's really easy to see. It comes with a mount for handlebars (U bolt with ram mount ball attachment), and a cable the perfect length to run back to your battery. The cable also has a 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack so you can plug in your ear phones. I ran mine back to just where the seat meets the tank for easy connect and disconnect. The MP3 player is sweet and works great with the voice prompts.. 2 miles before your turn, the music pauses and the voice gives you a reminder.. then the music continues.

Doc

Thanks guys,

The thing about GPS, puters and lots of other things is that there is a lot more that I don't know than I do know.

The 350 seems to have the best and worst of both, so I'm probably not going with that one. The 500, I'd really like, in fact, I'm trying to buy one from a guy now, but the communication thing isn't working. (It seems I remember my last wife saying something like that:rotf:)

The 250 would probably be my best bet, and I won't buy a reconditioned one. Thanks for that tip.

I guess that I really like gagets, and this is just the latest for me.

I'm sure that I'll have my new toy soon.

Steve

Guest BluesLover
I have the 500C and really like it. I have not had any problems with the hard drive at all.
Ditto for me. Have had mine for over a year and no problems - other than the snap on part broke during the America's 9/11 Ride this August. A call to Lowrance and a replacement part was at my door (free of charge) within a week.

And you're right, the 500C is no longer made and has been replaced by the 600.

Cheers,