IGNORED

need exhaust collector advise on short notice

barend

Like by tomorrow a.m. :8: The shop confirmed I got a loose baffle in my collector. haven't been able to ride it in three weeks and am getting antsy. So please tell me:

Aside from the rattle, will I do further damage by riding with it loose?

Can You remove a loose baffle without removing the collector?

Can you eliminate the collector altogether?

They still have it on the lift and if I let them know in the a.m. whether to tackle it, they might actually be able to get me back on the road before the weekend.

Thanks a milion!

Like by tomorrow a.m. :8: The shop confirmed I got a loose baffle in my collector. haven't been able to ride it in three weeks and am getting antsy. So please tell me:

They still have it on the lift and if I let them know in the a.m. whether to tackle it, they might actually be able to get me back on the road before the weekend.

Thanks a milion!

If you can get the front end up in the air,you can cut the bottom of the collector out remove the baffle and reweld the piece back in if your good at welding upside down...

So please tell me:

Thanks a milion!

Nope

Maybe, but you can dent it in from the bottom (scoot laying on auto/truck tires & beating on it with a sledge), to tighten it up. Another member has done this.....

Another possibility for replacement, see Marks pipes in this thread. [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16425]Mufflers, Collectors and pipes...oh my! - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

The rattling noise does not pose any further mechanical issues during operation. The bike will surely handle the rattling way longer than you will. Ride on. And most likely no body around you will be aware of the rattling more so than you. I once rode an 83 with a loose baffle for more than a year before I finally decided I would tackle it. Never thought about welding upside down.

The rattling noise does not pose any further mechanical issues during operation. The bike will surely handle the rattling way longer than you will. Ride on. And most likely no body around you will be aware of the rattling more so than you. I once rode an 83 with a loose baffle for more than a year before I finally decided I would tackle it. Never thought about welding upside down.

Welding it in place is a pain,but to me it beats trying to take the collector off..

Use a small cut off wheel to cut the bottom out..

Some guys will only cut 3 sides and pry it open to remove the baffle,but that distorts the metal and you have to beat it back into place..That makes it harder to weld back into place..

If you weld it on the bike,just remember to disconnect the battery..

This just prevents anything feeding back thru the electrical system and frying something...:yikes:

If it were me, I would ride out the season, and do the repair in the off season. You will get a better price on the labor in the winter, By the way, what method are they going to use to repair it and what are they going to charge for this "Rush Job"!?!?:confused24:

Other than the noise, there is no damage being caused by a loose baffle in the collector.

Earl

If it were me, I would ride out the season, and do the repair in the off season. You will get a better price on the labor in the winter, By the way, what method are they going to use to repair it and what are they going to charge for this "Rush Job"!?!?:confused24:

Other than the noise, there is no damage being caused by a loose baffle in the collector.

Earl

Scares the Hardleys away!! And a few other things...

Earl

Earl,

It is not a "rush job" other than me having to decide what to do about it before they take it of the lift. They had not even looked at what would be needed to fix it. i just got the call with the question right before they closed for the day.

I'll try and see if I can live with the rattle for a while, probably a matter of finding the right RPM's:innocent: Thanks for the feed back guys!

BillP in San anton--------rode his 88VR w/similar 'loose' collector!----------it finally just stopped the noise-----IT BLEW the loose baffels out the exhaust!!!!!!--------NO MO problemo-------turn the music UP------------ride on:thumbsup2::sun1::usa::usa::sign isnt that spec

Barend,

There is a great article in the tech library showing this repair. Removing the collector is advised because the mounting brackets also crack and may need to be welded. Best to remove this yourself and find a friend who can weld stainless to do the job. Did mine 3 years ago and its working fine.

Here is the link to the tech article.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002]Exhaust Collector Repair - VentureRider.Org[/ame]