IGNORED

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Guest Add Venture

Guest Add Venture

08 RSV

I have two rattles that I would like gone but don’t know what to tighten and don't want to just start farting around. My faring seems to have a minor rattle, well, more of a clunk when hitting a jarring bump such as RR tracks.

The second seems to be the trunk lid. Ok, this one didn’t happen until the “trunk rack” was mounted (at the dealer).

Anyone had these problems?

Any tips on how to make them go away?

Thanks in advance

Me

Guest Add Venture

Yeah, it's not real bad but man I hate rattles. With winter in full swing here I have time to plunk around. I'll check that out see if it's loose. Thanks.

If you have bag rails, the rear signal lights are likely hitting the rails when you go over the big bump. They are mounted very close to the rails and because the light mounts are not rigid, they flex and hit the rails when you hit the bump. May be the same thing on the front end as well.

• 4 weeks later...

The actual lid on the trunk is adjustable and can be moved down if the lid isn't fitting tight along the seal, that could be one of the noises. The other could be if the front fairing isn't set properly. They aren't hard to pull off but there is a bit of finagling to get them in the right spot. Perhaps some of the bolts on the inside of the fairing are loose....just throwing out random thoughts

:scratchchin:

It sounds like the luggage rack braces where they bolt up to the fender struts... These do come loose... Also check the grab rail handles where they bolt to the luggage rack behind the back seat.. try lifting up the trunk while parked and see if anythings loose..

Check every single bolt in the trunk and saddlebag mounting racks. Not the ones that hold the bags themselves, but the ones holding the racks to each other and the frame. I suggest taking off the bags and taking out each bolt one-by-one and using locktite.

Also remove seats and do the same with the fender mounting bolts. Also the rear passenger grab rails.

When I bought my used 04 w/ 14k miles, about half the rack bolts were loose, one of the grab bar bolts missing, and the rear fender bolts backed out about 1/2" inch till it hit the bottom of the seat.

Remove the allen bolt holding your shifter lever, grease the shaft, and locktite that bolt too! Many have lost that bolt.

Loctite also all the bolts inside the trunk hinges and especially the ones for the hold open mechanism. Pull up the rubber mats and you may find a screw or two already under there.

• 6 months later...

I don't have the same thump on the front when I hit a bad bump, but no thump on the rear but in my ear when the bass is up. don't hit a bump & your bike won't thump. So if i don't get the thump because i didn't hit the bump that would make my rump dump or make my heart jump from the stump i could hit if my bike went down.

I ride to work every day on the crappy patched pot holey roads in Crystal City near the Pentagon and I have the same thumping sound in the front when I go over bumps. I have concluded it is the fairing bouncing against the rubber spacers that keeps the handlebars from hitting the fairing directly.