IGNORED

Ever check your gas cap?

Arriving at the pumps recently, I had trouble removing the gas cap.. Turns out one of the two screws holding things together decided to go explore the bottom of the gas can, making the the retraction of the pawls difficult, as the remaining screw was also loose.. A replacement screw fixed it all up but I shudder to think what might have happened if that last one also fell out into the bottom of the fuel tank (it was loose as well..).

I mentioned this to another RSV rider and he checked his, and he also had one of the screws loose.. Something else to add to the check list of things to periodically check...

Arriving at the pumps recently, I had trouble removing the gas cap.. Turns out one of the two screws holding things together decided to go explore the bottom of the gas can, making the the retraction of the pawls difficult, as the remaining screw was also loose.. A replacement screw fixed it all up but I shudder to think what might have happened if that last one also fell out into the bottom of the fuel tank (it was loose as well..).

I mentioned this to another RSV rider and he checked his, and he also had one of the screws loose.. Something else to add to the check list of things to periodically check...

Good thing to bring up (again)!!! :cool10::cool10::cool10:

If you haven't checked those screws you BETTER!!! :backinmyday:

Even if they seem tight, it is a good idea to take them out and put a drop of thread lock (Locktite) on them!

THANK YOU!!!!!!! you just save me by posting this info I just ck the RSV and one screw was almost all the way out and ck the v-star same cap,lose but good to go now. HERE IS WHY I PAY 12.00 FOR ACCESS TO THIS SITE WELL SPENT MONEY. there are other reasons too....like the nice folks that are on here.:cool10:

good idea thanks, but where is this check list you speak of I need to hang one on the shop wall

The check list is long and storied.. ;) usually from lessons learned by personal experience, some from others mentioned through this board... Preventive maintainance is easier than finding yourself stranded on a road trip..

THANK YOU!!!!!!! you just save me by posting this info I just ck the RSV and one screw was almost all the way out and ck the v-star same cap,lose but good to go now. HERE IS WHY I PAY 12.00 FOR ACCESS TO THIS SITE WELL SPENT MONEY. there are other reasons too....like the nice folks that are on here.

True indeed! This forum is one of the best I've frequented over the years for various bikes I've owned, the only one I had to gladly pay for.. Just reading some of the anecdotal stories that people post sometimes gets you thinking about your own bike and gets you checking things out and sure enough, if it happened to one person it might happen to you..

• 1 year later...

HA! Thanks for that! I just checked mine and it's still holding great!

Still gonna be a while before we're able to ride around here.. another 6 inches of snow today.. this is the latest start to the biking season for me.. the effects of PMS really starting to kick in.. (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)