IGNORED

Rear suspension bushings

Hey everybody, I just removed my rear wheel to lube/inspect my new-to-me 86 Venture. I found the bushings on the suspension links completely dry and corroded. I also found the plastic inter- bushings worn out. Has anyone used anything other than the teflon bushings to re-bush the links? I can still order the teflon ones from Bike Bandit but they are $24 each {6 required}... Thanks for any help!

ps I am sure these have never been lubed..... things we should check on old bikes...

I had the same issue with my 89 VR when I purchased it new. It had been sitting for about 5 years and the bushing were bone dry and not moving. I only had to replace 4 of mine but I did add grease zerks on the swingarm. There was an article on how to do it and I think it is in the tech section for 1st gens. If you cant find it, I think I have a copy of it somewhere on on of my PCs.

Also on your parts, try Partshark.com as they have the bushings for $15.41 each. I too was wonder if some metal bushings would work but I never ran with it. I have seen some at hardware and automotive stores but never have check to see if they are the same size or not.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck..

Rick F.

Yes, my bike has 57000km's on it.... I am also installing grease Zerks while I have it apart. I will post any mods I do to the bushings {will probably just buy the oem plastic ones } but I have not decided yet. Do the new bikes have the same bushing set up?

Cheers