IGNORED

Stebel Horn Relay Question...

Skid

My question is the two wires going to the old horn. Should they both show 12 volts at all times? I checked them with a light and both has 12 volts with the key on. And is this the two wires that goes to number 85 and 86 on the relay?

Aslo I'm curious of where everyone placed their relays at....

One should show +12V. The other should be grounded when you press the horn button. HOWEVER, if you still have the other horn connected they'll both show +12V unless you are blowing the horn. If both horns are unplugged only 1 should show +12V.

You can get that relay at RadioShack. Tell them you need a 275-0001.

Thanks Carl. I just learned that there are two horns on the Second Gen. Remember I'm new to being a Second Gen owner so take it easy on me. :confused24:

OK do I just disconnect the front horn? And I got a relay with the horn.

Thanks Carl. I just learned that there are two horns on the Second Gen. Remember I'm new to being a Second Gen owner so take it easy on me. :confused24:

OK do I just disconnect the front horn? And I got a relay with the horn.

I just left the front horn connected, you wont hear it when you hit the stebil:yikes: I wire tied the relay under the rite side cover on the battery box. I had it off hooking up the horn and it fit there pretty nice. Craig

One should show +12V. The other should be grounded when you press the horn button. HOWEVER, if you still have the other horn connected they'll both show +12V unless you are blowing the horn.

So what he is saying is if you bend down measure it while someone else pushes the horn button one will show +12V and one will show 0V. And a week later you will be able to hear again.!!:rotf:

But will I need to temporarily disconnect the front horn to determine which wire is the positive and which is ground at the stebel horn?

Nope, I didnt. I just followed the guide for wiring up the relay.

Pink horn wire to post 85

brown horn wire to post 86

Post 30 to + side of horn

20 amp fused from batt to post 87

ground side of horn to engine ground

Courtesy or SaltyDawg:bowdown: Craig

I didn't know a 2nd gen had 2 horns either. I thought you were working on a 1st gen.

As hinted, it doesn't matter which of 85, 86 gets the + and -, it works either way. It's possible your diagram indicates one or the other but it's irrelevant.

You can leave the original horn(s) attached. More is gooder.

My wiring diagram attached.

Yah! I put my relay in the battery area on the plastic shield in the back. Just drilled a pilot hole and fastened with a sheet metal screw. I extended the horn wires, and no, it doesn't matter which wire goes on which lug. I then hooked up a 14 gauge red lead from the battery to the relay, and "Tested" the relay by hitting the horn. You should have seen my lok of bewilderment when the other fairing horn beeped, and I'm looking at both the stock horn AND the Stebel laying on the bench!! All I expected was for the relay to click!

Anyway. wired the red lead down to the horn area and a black ground 14 gauge wire from the battery to complete the circuit, McGuivered an aluminum bracket to mount the horn, and the rest is history...

Check my thread for some pics of my Stebel install...

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41530]Stebel Nautilus Horn Install - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Also, (not shown in the pic) here's a pic of where I installed the relay... I just zap-strapped it on.

OK, I appreciate everyone's help. I goit it finished this morning and it works! I placed the relay on the bolt under the anti-freeze over-flow box looks like the same place as SilvrT . Here are some pics...

PS: And yes it is LOUD!:thumbsup2:

Sure it's loud , but mostly on the right side . I mounted my Stebel under the scoot , behind the lowers , right beside the oil filter . Sound comes out evenly on both sides of the scoot . And I still have the stock horns going toot-toot as well .

BEER30

Sure it's loud , but mostly on the right side . I mounted my Stebel under the scoot , behind the lowers , right beside the oil filter . Sound comes out evenly on both sides of the scoot . And I still have the stock horns going toot-toot as well .

BEER30

yeah but.... then all the sound is UNDER the scoot... :witch_brew:

OK, I appreciate everyone's help. I goit it finished this morning and it works! I placed the relay on the bolt under the anti-freeze over-flow box looks like the same place as SilvrT . Here are some pics...

Hey Skid, there is a chrome cap on the back of the horn, you can take it off you dont see it anyway, then put some clear silicone on it and put it on top of the unit to cover that silver area, I know you like shiney!! Craig

Hey Skid, there is a chrome cap on the back of the horn, you can take it off you dont see it anyway, then put some clear silicone on it and put it on top of the unit to cover that silver area, I know you like shiney!! Craig

That is what I did!!!

Thanks Craig. I'll have to take it off to get to it, but I will look at that. I was wondering about the silver top on the chrome horn, just didn't look right.

crash

i just put one on my 08 silverado........i just piggy backed two wires into the stock horn wires and run those to the new stebel horn.........you do not need to know which wire is the feed.....if you hook up the new horn and it runs but doesn't honk...then you just reverse the wires...which is exactly what the instructions tell you do do.................................and then you get to stop people from trying to cut you off when merging....it did get their attention