IGNORED

2nd Gen hand held mircrophone

YamaDuck

I posted this in the wanted to buy section but not getting any help so I will post it here I hope that is all right.

I am looking to buy a 5 pin handheld mic that will plug into the 2nd Gen plug that sits on the gas tank. J&M use to make one but not anymore. I have been to 3 truck stops and the few 5 pin cb handheld mics they have do not match up and all the rest of the mic's are 4 pin.

I would like to buy a handheld mic that works with the 2nd Gen or if someone has a model number of a handheld mic that they could give me I can Google it and buy a new one.

Thanks

Harry:puzzled:

:Venture:I am one of the fortunate few to own one. The only problem is you must key the mike with the handlebar switch, so basically you can only use it when your cruise is on. No, mine is not for sale....

And this is a factory mic? Sounds wired wrong to me. I had a mic for my 1st gen before I got helmet sets, a radio shack mic if memory serves me, it would work like that until I rewired it.

:Venture:I am one of the fortunate few to own one. The only problem is you must key the mike with the handlebar switch, so basically you can only use it when your cruise is on. No, mine is not for sale....
Wonder where you got that at?

have you thought about a laryngophone (AKA throat microphone) instead of a hand held mic? it is what military pilots use.

There is one HERE

This is a photo from the web site above.

http://www.hzfenterprises.com/images/Throat%20Mic%20011.jpg

I am going to experiment with one from a diffrent web site, but I will have to modify it.

The only problem I see is that particular one that you gave a link to is only for harley. The set up we have is like the 5-pin Goldwing. J&M use to make a handheld and it had an extra wire plus the five plug that you had to tap it into the ptt button wire which allowed you to use the ptt button on the mic instead of the on the handlebar.

have you thought about a laryngophone (AKA throat microphone) instead of a hand held mic? it is what military pilots use.

There is one HERE

This is a photo from the web site above.

http://www.hzfenterprises.com/images/Throat%20Mic%20011.jpg

I am going to experiment with one from a diffrent web site, but I will have to modify it.

Yes I have though about it and have asked around locally about it but no one around here has ever used one. I would like to know how yours turns out.:hihi:

The only problem I see is that particular one that you gave a link to is only for harley. The set up we have is like the 5-pin Goldwing. J&M use to make a handheld and it had an extra wire plus the five plug that you had to tap it into the ptt button wire which allowed you to use the ptt button on the mic instead of the on the handlebar.

This mic AFAIK will work on the RSV. HOWEVER I have not tried it, nor do I sujest buying it, at that price.

He markets it for the Harley as there are a lot more of them on the road and are willing to pay HIS price for a $30 mic.

The two extra pins on a H-D are PTT, which the throat mike does not use as it is not equipped with it, and a shield, which you probably not need unless you put a magneto on your bike.

Note on his FAQ's page it states:

Q. The Throat Mic. plug only has 5 pins. Will it work on my Harley socket that has 7 pins ?

A. Yes. The extra 2 pins are for the PTT* button that is used only with a handheld Microphone. The Throat Mic. does not have a PTT button, You are using the built-in PTT on the handlebar of your HD.

*PTT = Push To Talk

Edited by KiteSquid

I have the J&M mic for a 2nd gen. It does not need to be keyed by the switch on the handlebar. If "davecb" has a J&M and it does not work with the mic key, then it is installed wrong. I have had mine for four years and they are not available anymore. I do know that the mike is really a seven pin. You have to connect their extension under the fairing and ground a certain wire to a wire under the fairing. The stock connector (5 pin) will plug into the seven pin and everything works as it should for helmet mounted mic.

I have had riders beg me to sell this to them, but I need it more. It really works great. You can use the stock key to transmit and never bring the mic to your mouth just by talking to it (only at slower speeds). On the highway it is obviously noisier to use.