IGNORED

Another bearing inquiry...

Hello Everybody! Great forum. I'm replacing the tires on my 86' w/53k and the rear ball bearing is a little crunchy. The needle bearing seems fine. I will probably replace the fronts to just because. My question is what is the model # of these cheap aftermarket bearings? I've seen people talk about them but can't find a model #. Also, which is the best online place for oem parts?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Everybody! Great forum. I'm replacing the tires on my 86' w/53k and the rear ball bearing is a little crunchy. The needle bearing seems fine. I will probably replace the fronts to just because. My question is what is the model # of these cheap aftermarket bearings? I've seen people talk about them but can't find a model #. Also, which is the best online place for oem parts?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about the cross reference on the numbers, but hang in there, someone will tell you soon enough, it's worth the wait.

Best place I've found for parts is http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/

If you are looking for the bearing on the brake side it is a 6304. The seal is best purchased from Yamaha. I did get a seal from a bearing house but it took weeks and wasn't any cheaper in the end. Below are pictures of the adapter. Notice the snap ring holding it to the wheel. Take that off and pull the adapter. I used a blind hole bearing puller from Harbor Freight to remove the bearing. Clean the drive dowels and put on a bit of neverseize. Then a bit of grease on the inside of the adapter. Grease the splines on the O.D. before re-installing on the bike.

JB

Edited by lonestarmedic
Added both sides of rear wheel

I do try and shutterbug on things when I can. The original write-up is in the archives of the 1st Gen tech section. I like to document my mistakes so that I may serve as a warning to others. I didn't do the brakes because I shamelessly robbed SkyDoc17's pictures and put them in my tech files.

Oh - front bearings are 6303. I use shielded bearings at all 3 locations and popped the shield out of 1 side. Then I put the bearing in open side out. Pack with grease and then put the seal into the housing. This was how I found the factory bearings. I used Amsoil high-temp synthetic grease.

JB

I use a small -ring pick or a pocket screwdriver. Go to the inside edge and pry up. The shield will pop right out. Now remember shield is a piece of tin. Sealed is a rubber bonded shield and is pressed tighter. If you look in my pictures. you will see that I prefer pink handled Snap On picks. The pink seems to make them work better.

JB