IGNORED

Passing lights and turn signals 2002 Venture

RossKean

The 2002 Venture I am picking up this week has the sealed beam passing lights. The dealer tells me that I would have to buy the light kit (including housings) for $137 if I want to switch to halogens (35W, H3 lamp). He also quoted $22 each for replacement sealed beam bulbs in case I just want to replace the existing lamps! Canadian prices are quite a bit higher than USA prices, but this seems a little out of line. If I decide to go with the halogen lamps, does anyone know whether I have to replace all of it or if I can just fit the new lenses and new reflector to the housings for the SB units- if so, where can I get these? If I can't switch to the halogens for a reasonable cost, what aftermarket sealed beam lamp is suitable?

I am also thinking about changing the amber signal light lenses to the clear ones (with amber bulb). (Is the lens interchangeable?) The plastic lenses appear to be reasonably inexpensive but the front bulbs (dual filament - run, turn) are VERY expensive - a lot more than the lenses! It seems to me I read somewhere that you could buy a standard automotive lamp at a small fraction of the Yamaha price and file off one of the lugs to fit these sockets. What would be suitable for the rear bulbs (single filament, turn only).

Thank you

Ross

What do you really get from changing from SB to Halogen. Is it really worth the $135 difference.

I look at it as a prcticle matter. In other words what am I really gaining for my money.

If it is worth it to you... go for it. For me it wouldn't be.

There was just a post on the bulbs and removing the little nub to allow for the proper roation. look at some of the recent postings and you will find it.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

Steve

You dont need the whole assembly. When I put in my tri Bar HL I also changed the Passing lights to match. I put the Adjure Passing lights in that use the H3 bulb. only thing I needed to do was make sure the back of the housing was insuluated good and just change a little of the wiring. Very little to make sure the ground is right. Will fit right into your existing housing. If you just want the plain ones go to JP cycles and you can buy the inserts. I used these though and they throw out lots of light.

http://www.adjureinc.com/412spotlamps.html

This is how they look

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2196

For another alternative you can so what Buddyrich did and get 4 1/2 inch HLs and add way more light!

You dont need the whole assembly. When I put in my tri Bar HL I also changed the Passing lights to match. I put the Adjure Passing lights in that use the H3 bulb.

They look great but not inexpensive. I'll have a look at JP and see what they have.

Thanks

Ross

The 2002 Venture I am picking up this week has the sealed beam passing lights. The dealer tells me that I would have to buy the light kit (including housings) for $137 if I want to switch to halogens (35W, H3 lamp). He also quoted $22 each for replacement sealed beam bulbs in case I just want to replace the existing lamps! Canadian prices are quite a bit higher than USA prices, but this seems a little out of line. If I decide to go with the halogen lamps, does anyone know whether I have to replace all of it or if I can just fit the new lenses and new reflector to the housings for the SB units- if so, where can I get these? If I can't switch to the halogens for a reasonable cost, what aftermarket sealed beam lamp is suitable?

I am also thinking about changing the amber signal light lenses to the clear ones (with amber bulb). (Is the lens interchangeable?) The plastic lenses appear to be reasonably inexpensive but the front bulbs (dual filament - run, turn) are VERY expensive - a lot more than the lenses! It seems to me I read somewhere that you could buy a standard automotive lamp at a small fraction of the Yamaha price and file off one of the lugs to fit these sockets. What would be suitable for the rear bulbs (single filament, turn only).

Thank you

Ross

Ross forget the dealer... if you already have the stock passing lamps you can change to a H-3 type light... I bought some aftermarket Adjure wannabe tri-bar lights for $60 on ebay and it included the H-3 bulbs... My bulbs were 55W and all the ones in local parts stores are 55... I do know 35W are available I couldn't find them locally..

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/a6/b1/4f30_1.JPG

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__Tri-bar-4-5-black-dot-halogen-spot-passing-lights_W0QQitemZ220279090134QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2863QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220279090134&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Yamaha makes a passing lamp that takes the H3 bulbs instead of the PAR36 bulbs

BTW there are more choices with the PAR36 bulb for wattage and beam pattern than the the H3 setup, as you would have to change the shape of the reflector and lense to change the beam pattern for the H3 Bulb.

Yamaha part number STR-4NK35-10-01

Yamaha lists them for the Royal Star Tour Deluxe, but they fit the RSV mounting bracket. You will probably have to rewire them as the wiring harness that comes with them fits the Tour Deluxe, but they fit.....

Somewhere on this site a guy installed them. Search for the part number and you'll find the thread.

I note in the Royal Star Standard passing lamps they list a H3 Replacement Lens (most likely the lamp without the chrome housing) for MSRP of US$22.95 Part number STR-4NK35-17-01. It should fit all Royal Star passing lamp housings.... should.

They are on my Christmas Wish List.....

I will probably wire them so they are in series when the low beam is on, and in parallel when the high beam is on, kinda like the Daytime Running Lights on some cages.

I will have to check with the safety inspection people on if it is legal, as I will add a switch to change it to whatever is legal IF I want to..... I think that the passing lamps must be off when the high beam is on, but I am going on what I can shake out of my dusty brain...

Edited by KiteSquid

Could somebody who has the sealed beam passing lamps please post the numbers on the bulbs for me??? It will probally be printed on the back of the bulb.

I am looking to figure out what beam shape is in the factory bulbs before I make a buying decision.

I am guessing it should start with 35PAR36/

Thanks in advance.

I found some second hand information that the 4449 bulb has a 12 degree wide by 7 degree tall beam pattern... INTERESTING.... now to find something a little bit tighter and either the same wattage or a little more.......

Called GE and they cant cross the nuber.

EDIT: please see post below about phone call to Waganer about this bulb.... DIFFRENT BEAM SHAPE!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

My lights are Sylvania 13 degree spots. I purchased them from bulbs.com and they are about $13 or so each.

Product ID is 683602; Product name is 36CAP36NSP (12 Volt)

RR

I cannot find that bulb in Sylvainia's PDF catalog I downloaded. The closest I can find it 36PAR36/HAL/NSP13. It is listed as a 36 Watt bulb with a 13 degree beam pattern (They don't break apart width and height like GE does) with 3,500 CBCP (Center Beam Candle Power) and a 4,000 hour live.

Regrettably in Sylvaina's catalog they only list 6 and 30 degree, 50 Watt bulbs.

On Bubls.com I note that the bulb you listed crosses to a GE Bulb 19876, which is a 35 Watt bulb with a 11 degree wide and 9 degree tall pattern. the beam is 8,000 CP and the bulb is rated with a 4,000 hour life.

For the same beam and about 25% more light I really like GE's 19879. It is a 50 Watt bulb with a 11 degree wide and 9 degree tall pattern. the beam is 10,000 CP and the bulb is rated with a 4,000 hour life. yes it is more drain on your electrical system, but probably worth it, if you don't run heated clothing....

for a tighter patter and lower current draw, GE's part number 19873 is a 35 Watt bulb with a 8 degree wide and and 6 degree tall pattern at 25,000 CP and rated for 4,000 hours.

Eiko has part number 7400, which is a 35 Watt bulb that is 12 wide by 5 tall at 33,000 CP but only a 300 hour life, and 4416 which is a 30 Watt Bulb that is 11 wide by 4 tall at 35000 CP but still only a 300 hour life.

WOW There are a LOT of bulb choices in the PAR36 line..... There must be over 100 bulbs in different beam shape from a very narrow spot to trapezoidal, to wide flood and many different wattages, from 3 for a emergency light to 100 for an aircraft landing light...

I just got off the phone with Federal-Mogul Corporation who owns the Wagner product line and here are the details for the 4449 bulb (the representative stated that they could not send me a product data sheet and the catalog is not online, I guess I should have asked for a paper catalog to be sent out)

Wagner part number 4449, is a 30 Watt bulb that is 11 degrees wide by 4.5 degrees tall at 15,000 CP with a 300 hour life.

When I get my passing lights I will probably install one of the Wagner 4449 bulbs and one of the GE 19879 (or equivalent) for a taller pattern or the GE 22983 (or equivalent) for the same beam pattern but more light and cover one light or the other to see how I like the lighting effect.

Question for those of you with passing lights with the Yamaha PAR36 bulbs. If you could have more light would you rather have a taller or wider beam pattern or the same pattern with a higher intensity?

Is there anybody that is familiar with Virgina law and passing lights on motorcycles??? I cant seem to find the law online. I am curious as to switching from high beam to low beam and the CP that is allowed for auxiliary lighting... I may or may not comply with the law.

Edited by KiteSquid

Oh, aircraft landing lights would be a lot of fun.

I agree but not on my bike as I dont think the alternator could handle them..... most are 100 Watts or higher.............. a pair of 100 Watt bulbs would draw about 15.625 amps... I dont know the output of the alternator off the top of my head, who has it handy? I could not find it in the owners manual.

Maybe if you could switch off your headlamp and install a much bigger battery, and run them for a short period of time.... like 5 seconds or less....

Daylight in a can.

Edited by KiteSquid

They could be wired in series for only a 50W total power draw. That's less than the pair of 30 or 35W bulbs in parallel many of us use now, and I'd bet still more light. Then include a relay to switch to parallel operation :yikes: ... if you ever needed to put someone's eyes out. You'd certainly want to have ample wiring and a HO stator for that too. With Buckeye's 55A stator it would be no problem.

I think the beam spread of my 4449s is fine. What I would want is more candlepower out of them. What are the beam spread and other specs on those landing lights?

Here's another idea. Maybe have them switch to parallel when the horn is activated. Pairing that setup with a Stebel air horn would be a real nice combination. This kind of stunt sounds right up my alley.

Edited by pegscraper

My catalog is at work.... ill look tomorrow for the beam pattern on the 100 Watt PAR 36 bulbs.

One problem with running halogen lights in series is they have a very yellow color.

How about putting in the lamps from the Stratoliner and using 4 H3 bulbs??? diffrent wattages..

Maybe so, being yellow. But my current sealed beams are pretty yellow anyway compared to the Silverstar headlight. List the candlepower too, please. Will those bulbs really fit in Y's stock passing lamp housings? It does sound rather tempting.

I had always been tempted to put some aircraft landing lights in my old cars on the high beams, but never got around to it.

when I had my bike inspected for the first time. The inspector said mine were wrong. The person who I bought he bike from has them hooked up to be on with the high beam and not the low beam.

I pressed the button behind the fairing and asked them what running lights? Got my stiker and drove away. Eveturally I want to hook them up to be on with both high and low beam. I will still use the master switch for inspection time.

Eventually both bulbs burned out. When I tried to replace them I could not find the replacement anywhere in town (Wagner H7604) and eventually bought the non halogens from the HD dealer. There is definately a decreased light output with the non - halogens I have now. I will be going back to halogens or switching to something that takes a h3 bulb.

Is there anybody that is familiar with Virgina law and passing lights on motorcycles??? I cant seem to find the law online. I am curious as to switching from high beam to low beam and the CP that is allowed for auxiliary lighting... I may or may not comply with the law.

pegscraper,

I looked in my GE and Sylvania catalog and they did not list anything with more than 50 watts that ran on 12 Volts.

Bulb 4509 is 100 Watts, 13 Volts, the beam spread is an acceptable 12 degree wide by 6 degree tall pattern! With screw terminals..... Now for the good news it is rated at 110,000 CP I found them on the Internet for $8.58 each. Now for the bad news... they are rated at 25 hours of operation. I don't recommend installing them but I would LOVE to see a bike with them. Due to their short life you would probably be better off buying the Yamaha passing lights that take H-3 bulbs and installing , or buying the 4509 by the case to get a discount on price and save on shipping.

Yamaha STR-4NK35-17-01 is the lamps that take the H3 bulb for MSRP of $22.95 and you will have to change the wiring to connect to the H3 bulb insted of the screw post of the PAR36, or if you have not yet bought your passing lamps, get Yamaha part # STR-4NK35-10-01 for $118.95 (Some wiring modifications to the kit might be necessary as they are for the Royal Star Tour Deluxe and other bikes in the Star Motorcycle line) to take one H3 bulb per side or I might get the Yamaha part # STR-2C535-10-00 (these are the passing lamps for the Stratoliner & Roadliner that take TWO bulbs which I ASSUME are H3s. I am asking for verification from anybody who has them installed!!!!!!) see the photo below from Starmotorcycles.com

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/accessories/500/stu-mcy06-19-rl-k0-dt1-500.jpg

Of course if you use the Tour Deluxe or the Stratoliner lamps you will have to use the RSV mounts, Yamaha part number STR-4XY35-40-00. MSRP $150.95.

Philips makes a 100 Watt H3 for $5.99 but they only have a 100 hour life :( I could not find the CP, but it should be similar to the 100 W Par36 above, but the beam pattern is dependant on the lamp you put them in. Also I have seen generic 100 W H3 bulbs for as low as $3.99 each.

STOP THE PRESSES!!!! I found 39112. It is has a much larger beam pattern at 14 degrees wide and 12 degrees tall so lots more area, it is rated at 500 hours and is 250 Watt bulb!!!!!!!! for the larger beam pattern they have 75000 CP!!! Now for the bad news, they cost $55.71 each!!!!! (BUT this might be the cost of a case of 12... the web page was unclear, but I will have to assume it is a per bulb price.)

Bugfish69,

Thanks, so if I understand correctly in VA the passing lamps must only come on with low beam. I think I will wire them with a 3 way switch. To be off, to be on only with low beam, to be on no matter if in low or hi beam.... Put the switch in the middle position when getting inspected.

Just about any auto parts store can get you some PAR 36 bulbs, but you have to know the number. That is why I am building this list.

ALL,

IF you know of another bulb manufacture besides GE, Orsam Slyvania, Eiko and Wagner please let me know, so I can try to find the catalog.

I just found some even better bulbs in the PAR36 size!!!!!

Halco Lighting makes a Halogen Xenon blended gas bulbs!!!!!

They have a higher lumen for the same wattage as traditional Halogen bulbs. Lumen is how much light the filament produces, CP is the amount of light in the center of the beam. So you can get a bigger beam pattern with the same light, or more light if you keep the beam the same shape.

I talked to a lighting engineer over at Halco and he recommended part number 107782 for a 12 degree tall by 12 degree wide beam that has 5,000 CP but a Lumen rating of 910 where the GE bulbs are rated at 400. Also they have a 5000 hour life compared to GE bulbs and only cost $7.53 on the Internet at 1000bubls.com which is the first place I found them.... they might cost less elsewhere.

They make 6 bulbs that would work as a passing lamp. either a 12 degree or 5 degree pattern (I would go with the 12 degree unless you are using them as driving lights then I would go with the 5 degree pattern) in either 20, 35 or 50 Watt designs.....

The have a color temperature of about 3150 while standard halogen is about 3000, so they will appear to be a bit whiter.

I AM EXCITED about these bulbs, now to buy a set of passing lamps.... maybe the fat man will drop them down my chimney on December 24th.