IGNORED

Passing lights and turn signals 2002 Venture

RossKean

Federal law mandates maximum candela ratings per vehicle type. As a consequence passing lamps are only legal with low beams throughout the US. This is the federal vehicle code, which has naturally been written for ease of readability, nudge nudge wink wink. It doesn't actually mention passing lamps. Just total output.

Each state has its own statutes, most of which are pretty goofy. Indiana spends a lot of space talking about minimum and maximum heights. They also allow only one passing light and one running light, each of which can be the same size and have the same output but different allowable placements. Other states talk about illuminating something at a specific distance. If it comes to an argument between State and Federal, Federal wins.

My passing lamps are on their own switched circuit. I have a headlight modulator on the high beam. I set my lights up this way so that the passing lamps would work with the modulated high beam during the day time. Basically I just take responsibility for turning them off when the high beam is on at night. Of course I worry about that a lot.:whistling:

My son in law is a LEO. His attitude is basically that because of the way the laws are written he has no way of knowing if the lighting intensity is actually legal, just don't blind him (or presumably anyone else).

I originally bought the Stratoliner 2 bulb lights and the RSV light bar... The bottom bulb is just a parking type lamp... not sure what the size is and the passing lamp is a H3... I upgraded to Silverstars because the left original blew within a week... they use U-Haul type splicers inside the bucket to connect the 2 bulbs and they did a poor job of connecting them... So I fixed that and installed the Silverstars and they burnt the little grey reflector cups in there... turned them purple & blue... I think the originals were 35 W H3s... Then the glass cracked right where my little Star Visors were positioned... I guess it took a few bumps to do that... So I swapped out the Strat Lamps... In case you haven't figured it out yet... I do not reccomend the Stratoliner Passing Lamps.

• 11 months later...

Here's all the halco par's at 1000bulbs...

http://www.1000bulbs.com/search.php?search_data=par36&cat=%22%22

So I like to keep mine on all the time as riding lights- so that I look bigger than a motorcycle (especially with the trailer.) I should use 5 or 8 degree spots???

and for those of you that have them switch with high/lows... how do they come from the factory or it a mod to get them to switch? I think mine are on all the time with the manual switch...

So I like to keep mine on all the time as riding lights- so that I look bigger than a motorcycle (especially with the trailer.) I should use 5 or 8 degree spots???

and for those of you that have them switch with high/lows... how do they come from the factory or it a mod to get them to switch? I think mine are on all the time with the manual switch...

FYI: Post #2 of this thread lists some great info on lamps...

Someone else will have to chime in on your question about the 5 or 8 degree spots, I don't know. I use the Wagner 4449s right now which are 11x4.5 (I think) and 35W bulbs. I have them aimed to light up the road down the way infront of me and a little of the shoulder on either side... In terms of visibility from oncoming traffic, in my opinion, the lights are lights and I don't know that anyone would notice a difference between the two options - but again, someone with more knowledge of lamps can chime in I'm sure.

The lamps switching with high beam, low beam or on all the time is just a matter of who installed them and what wire got tied into to activate the relay (or split the power lead).

If you want to change yours you just need to tap into the high or low beam wire (if you want it activated that way) or a separate circuit that turns on when you turn the key on (if you want them on all the time and to NOT be without headlamps if your headlight circuit blows).

There are a few threads on here with the OEM instructions in it indicating which headlamp wire to tap into for each case if you want to change your setup. I'm sure many would highly recommend installing the relay and powering the lamps directly from the battery if you do not have them setup that way already.

[by the way, hope you are enjoying your new ride! :)]