IGNORED

Anyone pulling a Uni-Go trailer?

jarrejx

As a future add-on, I am considering purchasing a Uni-Go Trailer to pull behind my "new" 2000 RSV. Anyone here have any experience with this trailer on the RSV or any other bike? Know anyone who does? It seems to have a small storage capacity, so I am not sure if it will accomodate my needs. It also appears that the trailer would require some type of adapter to work with the ball receiver on most bikes. Thanks for any help out there.

BTW, I have visited their website and looked at their video. I really like the way the trailer seems to follow the path of the bike. However, at $2,300 it seems kind of pricey or am I just cheap? Are there any similar, less expensive units out there?

Here is the link to video for anyone who may not be familiar with the Uni-Go or its setup.

http://www.schoolhousemcacc.com/article_info.php/articles_id/5

Thanks again

jarrejx

There are two real common options for "cheap and functional"

The piggybacker trailer (most have the XL) and a do it yourselfer called the "Harbour Freight" from well....harbour freight and then adding a cargo box of your choice to it.

I have the piggy and really like. Around 800 bucks for the XL.

Also...many folks have said immediatley after buying a trailer...they wished they got a bigger one. So, while there are great reports on the uni-go, it is a tad smallish.

You would have to look at what you want the trailer to do for you and just how much stuff your passenger will want to take along!

The hitch is real cheap...just over a hundred bucks and there is a member here who sells them. Check the classifieds. Uni-go....not so cheap!

Time frame was last summer, at the Vogel rally, and it was the day when everyone rode the dragon.

We were at the resturant/ store at the south end of the dragon, and a couple from canada came in pulling a unigo and parked very close to me...

I walked over and began looking at the unigo trailer, because it was the first one I saw up close.. in person.

The guy said it pulled so nice he could not tell that it was really behind him. He said he liked it when cornering and really liked the capability it has when at a motel because he could pull it into the room for "lock up"/ storage, and go for a ride with out it being attached.

Now his wife on the other hand was adiment in dissatisfaction with it because according to her, there was no room for anything in it.

She mentioned something about the hassel of trying to get a suit case in and out of it as a real PITA, because you have to squeeze , push abd pull everything in and out of it. The door openeing was not large enough for her likeing..

SO.. in rounding up my investigation, I figured the unigo trailer was the way to go if you would be traveling all by yourself with no plans to stop and buy nick nacks, or take along 5 pairs of jeans and T-shirts for a two day weekend trip....

I also determined quickly that it would not be the type of trailer one would want to purchase if you "know", you will be traveling two up because if your passenger is not a happy camper with the unavailabe "space" and ease of accessability to her things, then you can bet your trip is going to be one you wished you were rideing single on.......

Squid's right, I do have a Unigo and I would buy it again. The trailer is small and for me that was a good thing. I ddin't want a trailer that could hold 400-500 lbs because I knew my wife would fill it up. I just don't want that much extra weight pushing me in a hard stop. The trailer fully loaded probalby on weighs about 150 lbs.

I've taken it on two cross country trips of over 3500 miles each. It easily stores enough stuff for a 10 to 12 day trip. The first trip we just used luggage that we already had, small bags stuffed in the trailer. Things were tight. Last year I bought the Unigo bags that fit the trailer and they allowed much better space utilization and I would highly recommend them.

As has been said, you really don't know the trailer is back there and I like that it follows the same track as the bike. So if you dodge a hole you don't have to worry about the trailer wheel hitting it. The only time you feel the trailer is when you take the bike off the side stand because you have to balance the trailer as well.

A big bonus with the Unigo and one that I understimated was the ability to roll it into the hotel at night. That is especially helpful if you are staying somewhere for a few days. You don't have to leave it chained to a pole in the parking lot.

There are better values in trailers I'll admit. However, for my use I decided to bite the bullet on this one because it enabled me to limit the load. Photos of my trailer can be found at http://www.traynorphoto.com/unigo/ Some of the photos are large and will take some time to load because I was trying to show some detail. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dennis

When I first saw the unigo I thought that would be the best trailer to get. I don't have any experience with it but some of my goldwing friends say there has been a problem with the fiberglass cracking. I can't say first hand, just repeating what my goldwing friends have said.

Guest tx2sturgis

Anyone looked at the Eaglemate trailer?

http://www.eaglematetrailers.com/index.htm

http://www.eaglematetrailers.com/images/gearedup.jpg

There is also the N-Line trailer, ($$$), which is designed to look 'right' behind a Harley, and then there is also the Road Dog trailer, but its pricey and you have to add your own saddlebags.

This EagleMate Trailer, which I pictured above, is an interesting idea...I wonder if someone could modify that, or start from scratch, and build one that hooks up to a regular hitch, down lower behind the rear wheel, but has that open frame, and single rear wheel. Might be something for the shop-savvy guys on here to try to build.

It seems all the one-wheel trailers cost alot more...its like anything else, you pay more if you want less!

yes i have looked at the Eaglemate trailer enough to know that pic is right off there web site the only thing i was wondering about is how it would work as there is no suspension the wheel is bolted to the frame not a swing arm

Guest tx2sturgis
yes i have looked at the Eaglemate trailer enough to know that pic is right off there web site the only thing i was wondering about is how it would work as there is no suspension the wheel is bolted to the frame not a swing arm

Yep...It IS right off their website...in fact its a direct link, your browser makes a call to it when you bring up this page...saves room on the servers here and on my own photo-server. You can right click on it and click properties, or however you windows guys do it, and verify that.

About the suspension, the whole trailer forms a swingarm...Now, I havent pulled one, and I dont want to with it bolted up high on the bike, plus its kinda funky lookin...like those pics you see of one animal getting...uh...'friendly' with another...:D

My thoughts would be that I'd like to see it lowered to where its more or less parrallel with the ground, and use a hitch like the unigo...or maybe a home built universal joint type of hitch...anyway, you may have to lower the wheel mounting points to raise the trailer...but it would be an interesting project...not unlike the guys on here who buy and modify a harbor freight trailer...just something to tinker with...

And that Monogo trailer looks pretty cool...

http://www.monogo.com/Images/Galerie_Grosse/galeriePhoto_MonogoCoter.gif

I'd like to see some pictures of the interior of the trailer, since there has to be a wheel-well sticking up into the cargo area...but still, at 7 cu.ft....it would hold a lot.

Might have to check into that one...price seems right.

I had never seen the Uni-go and it is really neat looking, love the compact size and portability, but I also think it might not hold enough for two people, especially if shopping is involved.

The Monogo is about 1/3 the price, and is a bit bigger, not as nice looking but seems better in one big respect, it won't put as much weight on the suspension.

The Uni-go says it only puts 1/3 of the total weight on the hitch mount, but that is still more than would be with a similar sized typical trailer where 10% of the total weight is recommended. If you have a Uni-go at 150 pounds that is 50 pounds on the very back of the bike instead of 15! That can make a big difference in handling and tire life. If you don't have air adjustable suspension, it will be harder to make it ride level.

The Monogo doesn't have that problem.

I am hoping that with the two saddlebags on my wife's bike, and the three bags on my VR, that we will have all the room we need for trips for now. Plus we can pack sizeable stuff on the passenger seats of both bikes since we won't have passengers. That is the plan anyway!

I had a Harbor freight style trailer way back when I was on my Honda 750 Supersport. It was from K-mart with a typical clamshell bolted to it. IT did just fine, carried everything I could possibly need, and I even used it behind cars. Other than taking into account the width, I never really paid much mind to it, and it added stability in wind and rain.

Guest tx2sturgis
Here is a fairly new single wheel trailer that HD came out with. It even comes with a cooler rack in the front and can be match painted to any motorcycle..

Nope, thats the RoadDog trailer which I mentioned in my earlier post, and its not made by HD, but you DO have to buy the matching saddlebags from HD.

:mo money:

Or, you can buy a pair of Venture bags and put those on, to match your Venture. Either way, it doesnt hold much.

Bad investment unless you are out to impress people...it might do that!

Time frame was last summer, at the Vogel rally, and it was the day when everyone rode the dragon.

We were at the resturant/ store at the south end of the dragon, and a couple from canada came in pulling a unigo and parked very close to me...

I walked over and began looking at the unigo trailer, because it was the first one I saw up close.. in person.

The guy said it pulled so nice he could not tell that it was really behind him. He said he liked it when cornering and really liked the capability it has when at a motel because he could pull it into the room for "lock up"/ storage, and go for a ride with out it being attached.

Now his wife on the other hand was adiment in dissatisfaction with it because according to her, there was no room for anything in it.

She mentioned something about the hassel of trying to get a suit case in and out of it as a real PITA, because you have to squeeze , push abd pull everything in and out of it. The door openeing was not large enough for her likeing..

SO.. in rounding up my investigation, I figured the unigo trailer was the way to go if you would be traveling all by yourself with no plans to stop and buy nick nacks, or take along 5 pairs of jeans and T-shirts for a two day weekend trip....

I also determined quickly that it would not be the type of trailer one would want to purchase if you "know", you will be traveling two up because if your passenger is not a happy camper with the unavailabe "space" and ease of accessability to her things, then you can bet your trip is going to be one you wished you were rideing single on.......

Actually I came up with just the opposite determination, it will be the perfect trailer when riding two up, after I take the wife on a couple of long trips with no trailer and make her do with just what we can fit in the bike's bags. :D

As has been mentioned, the tounge weight of the Unigo is heavier than 2 wheel trailers but it has not proven to be a problem. When loaded for a 12 day trip the tounge weight on my trailer was 37 lbs. While that may sound heavy it doesn't impact the handling. When we travel with the trailer the only things in the trunk and side bags are our rain gear and jackets which are light weight. I load the heavier items in the rear of the trailer with light weight items in the toward the front of the trailer. Since the trailer isn't very tall this keeps the weigh low and the the center of gravity much lower than if I had the bags and trunk stuffed. Riding 2 up it doesn't change the ride of the bike and I usually keep about 25 lbs of air in the rear shock.

I think Unigo had some quality problems when they were made in New Zealand. In '06 Schoolhouse began building them in Ohio and they have made some subtle design improvements. I've had no problems with the trailer at all.

I've travelled extensively with guys towing 2 wheel trailers and they work well too. But they all agree that the Unigo is handy at the end of the day when it rolls into the room with us.

Dennis

ediddy wrote:

When I first saw the unigo I thought that would be the best trailer to get. I don't have any experience with it but some of my goldwing friends say there has been a problem with the fiberglass cracking. I can't say first hand, just repeating what my goldwing friends have said.

For Midrsv and robert:

Thanks for the benefit of your experiences. Have either of you experienced cracking issues in the trailer's fiberglass body? Any evidence of strain from weight shift during use? I can imagine there is a potential for fiberglass cracking due to improper loading of the trailer, i.e., heavy objects loosely packed that would be allowed to bounce around in transit.

Midrsv, the pix were a blessing. I can see now what the Uni-Go looks like hitched onto a Venture. Like you, I am most impressed by the portability of the Uni-go trailer and actually using it as a rolling suitcase at the end of a day's journey.

I must admit that the Monogo is better shaped for carrying or holding longer objects, such as fishing rods. Not sure if golf clubs could fit, but that's OK, because I don't play well enough to own a set anyway. It simply does not look as good as the Uni-Go.

Right now, I think Uni-Go offers the best unit for my riding style. My wife is not really a packaholic anyway. However, I can see the Road Dog concept, with a few refinements actually challenging the Unigo. It needs to be a one-piece mold with the appearance of saddlebags and one lid covering the entire trailer. If stability and tracking can remain true, then the extra storage capacity would give Uni-Go some competition. IMVHO.

That one is free for some of you fabricators (I'm talking about the building kind):) out there. When you build it, I will spend.

Jerry

Jerry,

I have first hand experience with 2 Unigo trailers. Mine, which was one of the first 5 or so trailers built in Ohio and one that my riding buddy has which was bought a year later. There have been no problems with the fiberglass on either one. The lid design and hinge mechanism on my friends trailer is improved over mine. Mine is OK but the new one has a little smoother finish around the edges.

I really don't see any load shifting at all. We use soft side bags and once things are in place they stay. The inside of the trailer is lined with a carpet type material so that helps things stay in place and pads the walls. See the photos.

Dennis

Once again, thanks for the pix Midrsv. It looks like the interior of the trailer is more than well-protected. Maybe the fiberglass cracking reported by ediddy's goldwing friends was a problem eliminated by bringing the trailer manufacturing operation to the good ole US of A. One has to learn to pack minimally though, to use this trailer. I still think it is the right choice for me, based upon all the info. I have now.

However, I am wondering why the electrical harness sits so high on the rear of your bike. The video on the Uni-go site seemed to depict the harness mounted in the area near the bike's hitch. Was that an option given to you? If so, why did you choose the location shown in your photos? Why not mounted? Just curious.

BTW, awesome looking machine you have there. I know I have got to come through KY now and get to meet and ride with you on some of those great KY roads you were talking about.

Jerry

However, I am wondering why the electrical harness sits so high on the rear of your bike. The video on the Uni-go site seemed to depict the harness mounted in the area near the bike's hitch. Was that an option given to you? If so, why did you choose the location shown in your photos? Why not mounted? Just curious.

The connector can be mounted most anywhere close to the hitch. I just chose to bring the wiring out under the trunk. When not in use I wire tie the wiring and connector under the trunk, out of sight. My hitch is a vertical receiver hitch and when I remove the insert the hitch is hidden under the fender. The only time you know that I tow a trailer is when it hooked up.

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...