IGNORED

83 XVZ 12 ignition problems

Guest Scottimuss

Guest Scottimuss

Ok this is my first post...

I got a 83 XVZ12 for free this summer and it had sat for 5 years....

real nice shape and kept inside, changed the plugs and removed the carbs and cleaned them bled the brakes and clutch drained the gas and fired her up...

it has run all summer with no engine problems other than running really warm

this is my first bike and i love it BUT a few weeks ago i cut the windshield down and it was running fine other than the previous day it seemed like it was running out of gas (which it was really low) or the filter was pluged (was leaking :aftermarket clear filter) so i cleaned the filter and stopped the leak got gas and then took it out for a test run and it sputtered until the rpms got a little higher then she ran ok

about 5 miles into the ride the bike lost power and started running lousy

rode back and checked it all over (with an awesome harly mechanic) and found a cylinder went dead.. gas but no spark

the spark to the LR cylinder is there when it starts but immediatly fades to nothing or comes in at higher rpms when riding

is this the TCI or a coil going? i saw other posts mentioning the TCI

what is that and where is that located? i gathered that controls the coils firing...

i dont have a manual yet so any help would be really appreciated...

the bike had gotten uncovered a couple of times when the wind blew off the cover during a heavy rain... would baking it in the oven help?

any ideas?

Guest Scottimuss

also the tach keeps fluttering and will quit working then start again and the idle has decided its happy at 2,000 rpms when warm.. thought id mention that too :}

Hi,

congrats to a free Bike ... :cool10::cool10::cool10: well, almost free.....

You can download the Manual here in the 1 Gen Tech Section.

On your Question, this sounds quite like the TCI is going south. Maybe the baking Process would help you out of this. It's hard to tell. Give it try. Maybe there are some Connectors involved.

I would bake the TCI first, place it on the Airbox afterwards and see whats happening. If it doesn't help, most likely the TCI should be changed to a known good Unit, even for testing Purpose.

Guest Scottimuss

thanks i really like the bike hope it not an expensive fix

wheres the TCI located? is that the same thing as the ignition module?

im used to harleys and this machine isnt nearly as simple lol

Here's the Link to the Manual, provided by Juggler

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3384

The TCI is the Ignition Mudule, also called CDI. It's located beneath the Battery Box. It's hard to get there, therefore, most Members suggest to place it on top of the Airbox.

A new TCI might be pricey, but they are on Ebay all the Time. If your TCI tests bad, here is a Member here who can repair these. Just use the Seek Button or look down on the bottom of the Pages, there are some other related Threads listed. I'm sure some other will chime in here later the Day.

Does the 83 have to have a specific 1983 TCI and not from other years yes or no?

The '83 TCI is different from all other years. The pressure sensor (vacuum advance) uses the vacuum from the #2 carburator base, all other years use vacuum from the #2 carb manifold. You can use later year's TCI in the '83, but you just have to relocate the vacuum line to the pressure sensor to the manifold port that is used for carb sync. And put a cap on the port below the #2 carb.

The '83 TCI is different from all other years. The pressure sensor (vacuum advance) uses the vacuum from the #2 carburator base, all other years use vacuum from the #2 carb manifold. You can use later year's TCI in the '83, but you just have to relocate the vacuum line to the pressure sensor to the manifold port that is used for carb sync. And put a cap on the port below the #2 carb.

So, i assume, the Pressure Sensor is the same in both Varitions ??

So, i assume, the Pressure Sensor is the same in both Varitions ??

Yep, the pressure sensor is the same for all years. The difference in the '83 TCI is how the pressure sensor signal is used at idle. The '83 needs to sense zero vacuum at idle (the port on the '83 #2 carb is above the throttle plate at idle...zero vacuum until the throttle is opened. If an '83 TCI has vacuum at idle, the ignition will be advanced, and idle speed will speed up and be erratic.) All other years, the TCI reads manifold vacuum at idle.

Actually, the biggest problem comes if you try to mount '84 to '93 carbs to an '83. The problem then is, you have no place to connect the pressure sensor to the #2 carb...the '83 #2 carb is the only one of all years of Venture that has the port at the base.