IGNORED

Is your bowl 1/2 full or empty

MidlifeVenture

Looking at the weather I topped off the tank added winterizer went for a ride pulled in shut the fuel off then let her run until she died. Now the question is should this be done I just did what I do to the snow thrower but thinking a little now I wonder if it is good to let the carbs dry out? :think::snow2:

I hate this time of year store the bike, boat and camper and try and get all the things off the honey-do list before spring.:cold:

I don't have much winter here so I am not a good sample. That being said, when I lived in Nebraska the head mchanic for the construction company I worked for would not let us run the gas engines until they died for lack of fuel. He said that it was worse for the carbs than leaving them wet, and we didn't have fuel additives then.

:farmer:

I run my carbs dry on my two strokes because of the oil/gas mix, but not my 4 strokes. I tend to take them out a couple of times over winter just to make sure they still run good!

My 2 stroke IT400 has sat there for a year and a half, turned on the fuel, gave it a few kicks and she fired right up! I believe it was because of the Benol oil mix I used in there.

The Venture gets a dose of Seafoam and a battery tender, thats about it......

I don't have much winter here so I am not a good sample. That being said, when I lived in Nebraska the head mchanic for the construction company I worked for would not let us run the gas engines until they died for lack of fuel. He said that it was worse for the carbs than leaving them wet, and we didn't have fuel additives then.

:farmer:

Ive been told that you should just stabilize (or Seafoam) the fuel and make sure the tank is full to prevent rusting then store it. Mine has sat from mid August one year until April next year full of fuel and it started and ran just fine. Ive been told that running dry is hard on the rubber seals etc.

I am running a battery tender from time to time on mine throughout this winter. I screwed up a couple of years ago and stored the bike with no charge in the battery and it wouldnt take a charge in the spring, so I had to replace a battery that was less than a year old. (expensive lesson.)

brian

After I did it I had the why did I do that go through my head guess I will have to go for another ride before I tuck here in the corner and get the tender on her. Never did this before I don't know what made me do it I put the Marine stabil in went topped of with some plus gas pulled in the drive and turned off the gas let it run till it died

Thanks for the input:thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

OK ,I've sat here and read don't drain, do drain, don't use green use orange, don't use synthetics, do use synthetics don't start, do start, don't turn off, do turn off. Huuuuummm. Trouble with it all is that we all have this information in the back of most manuals under storage. Follow that and your mostly get to go when you pull the automatic smiler out to ride next year. Oh yeah, even though this site can have some of the most conflicting opinions on the web it will still be the place to come for advice. And laughs!:rotfl::rotfl: And winter hasn't even started. Hang in there fellow Ventureriders its going to be a lllllllloooooonnnnnngggggggg one.:D