IGNORED

Ignition Switch????

I do believe I am having the dreaded ignition switch failure and I would love some help with the diagnosis.

Twice the bike has started, but the instrument panel has remained blank. This corrected itself when I turned the switch off, then back on. Often now it will reset my trip odometers to zero and the clock to 1:00 when I turn the switch off. I have reset the clock 3 times in 2 days so this is more than just a one time occurence.

Is this some of the symptons of switch failure and is there an aftermarket switch available for the 2nd Gen?

Many thanks to those that respond and help out. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I am assuming (from the majority of past posts) that you have pass lights on your ride. If so you need to put them on a relay. If not you have a factory defect. Nothing else I have ever heard of trashes the ingnition switch. Unless you are running multiple electrical powers off you switch.

:farmer:

I might be wrong. But seem to remember sombody makeing a posting, that he removed the switch, dissassembled the switch, and was able to repair it.

??? But don't remember who, but as I recall it was about 6 months ago

Its simply one bad contact in the unit.

There is also a posting somplace as to Installing a hidden toggle switch, to bypass the On-Off contacts. Not that hard to do.

I am assuming (from the majority of past posts) that you have pass lights on your ride. If so you need to put them on a relay. If not you have a factory defect. Nothing else I have ever heard of trashes the ingnition switch. Unless you are running multiple electrical powers off you switch.

:farmer:

Thanks for the tip Sylvester.

I put anything that draws any kind of amprage on it's own relay when I install it hoping to avoid the switch problem. (I learned that years ago when working on DC systems with my brother-in-law.) I will pull the switch and repair it if possible, then put the entire system on a 50 amp relay. Hopefully this will prevent any future problems with the switch. :confused24: