IGNORED

Update on failed tire

midnightventure

A while back I posted about a failing Metzeler tire. Wizard said that I was running to low an air pressure. Although I never could access the page he referred to the customer service rep at Metzeler said 49 lbs. the second time I asked. I have recieved a new tire after a battle with them. I am willing to try again at the higher pressure. They need to improve their website. I would have been running at the higher pressure all along if I had known. The local dealer said the tire was defective and then after talking to Parts Unlimited who is the distributer fo the US he changed his tune and was trying to make me buy a new tire and send the old one off for inspection. I already had a Avon on the way so I put it on and and gave the old one to the dealer. We waited for a Parts Unlimited rep to come by and look at it. When he finally did he said it was road hazard and wasn't covered. I took back the evidence and called Metzeler. They said that with road hazard there would be evidence inside the tire. The tire is perfect on the inside and I knew I hadn't hit anything. After I told the Metzeler rep that he finally agreed to order me a new tire. I have come to the conclusion that I personally don't trust Parts Unlimited although it evidently is hard to deal with motorcycle stuff and not deal with them even if your not aware of it. It will probably be next summer before I need to mount the new Metzeler. I will watch it close and I am hoping that eventually I can post that it wore out normally.

i ran my metzelers at the required higher pressure and after only a few thousand kilometers on them while out on the highway the rear tire rubber separated from the carcass. this was supposed to have been a top of the line set of tires that my local dealer sold me. i spent a couple of months calling, emailing, getting attitude and the royal runaround from metzeler, and i have finally given up. yes i lose, but they will also lose as i ride a lot and will need to buy tires again.

I sell tires all day long and that my friend was no road hazard. I make calls all day as to adjustability of tires and though everyone feels its a tire defect that is not the case. I have seen that before quite a few times and that is what they call delamination. The bond that holds the outside rubber to the inside casing. You remember the big Firestone recall on the Fords. Exactly that. Usually agrivated by a heat condition. If it was a low pressure failure it would be be in the sidewall and not just a chunk in th tread. Anyone tire company telling you is playing you for a fool and hoping you wont find out better and just accept it.

Guest KitCarson
i ran my metzelers at the required higher pressure and after only a few thousand kilometers on them while out on the highway the rear tire rubber separated from the carcass. this was supposed to have been a top of the line set of tires that my local dealer sold me. i spent a couple of months calling, emailing, getting attitude and the royal runaround from metzeler, and i have finally given up. yes i lose, but they will also lose as i ride a lot and will need to buy tires again.
I watch my tires......we are getting ready for an afternoon ride......I even fully inspect the rear tire, I take the time to do this.....I have heard a lot about this brand of tire.....as far as I am concerned, there will never be on on my bike.......ever..........good tires and good tread let me relax and concentrate on watching for other things.....I have dunlops on the factory bike........will go with Michlen Commanders when needed..........or Avon Venoms....both excellent tires......have used them on a lot of bikes.....I know it is excessive.........but I do not let the tread get down either.....I use a bike a lot.......so I put new tires on one every year.....need it or not.......no do not play with tires.......I like good.....ens.......Kit

I put Metzlers on my Voyager a year or so before I got the Venture, put quite a few miles on them, even rode up to Canada 2 up and fully loaded, even 500 miles in a monsoon and loved them.

After reading the reports here, when the time came to replace them on my RSV, I decided that I would not take a chance and got the Avons, I absolutely love them and don't worry about inherent problems with the tires. This is not to say I won't consider them in the future, AFTER they work out their issues.

From what I've gathered from different forums, is that all the Metzs that have failed were produced in their plant in Brazil and the ones that come from the German factory don't have the problem.. Not sure if this is true, but I would demand my replacement tire said "Made in Germany"

Of the ones that have failed for people here, if you know, where was your tire made?

I went to several dealers here and looked at the tires and noticed that the ones made in Germany say "Made in Germany" in fairly larger bold letters. The ones made in Brazil say "Made in Brazil" in quite small and hard to read letters. Hmmmmm?

At this point, with all my negatives in dealing with those morons at Metzler, I couldnt care less where the tire was made. They still blame rider fault and refuse to acknowledge a problem with delamination. If you are going to put your name on a product, better make sure its a good product. Arrogance is a word that comes to mind......

I put metzelers on my bike at 18,000 miles and at 24,000 the rear is cupped so bad it feels like you are riding on knobby tires. I run 40 lbs rear and 38 front. The service manager at the dealership said to run 42 rear and 40 front. The tires have good tread but I think I am going to have to replace them because my wife is feeling vibration when she rides. The tires handle good and are quiet when going straight. If I lean left or right they make a whinning noise. I don't think I will use metzs again.

I put Metzler 880's on about 2K miles ago and have had no problems. Handling is far better than with Dunlops and the bike is not at all squirrely on grooved pavemant, etc., as it was previously. Will keep an eye on them, as anyone should regardless of brand.

I just put Metzler's on because there was no other tires at the shop.

Tires here in Vegas are very expensive and I was shocked.

I want a set of AVONS and it seems there are no shops in the Twin cities or Vegas that carry them and only in special orders.

I needed a set of tires and that's what was there.

Oh well I will wear these out before Christmas anyway.

I will let you all know how these wear.

I will order a set of Avon's next month.

Anyone know a good place to order from???

Thanks in advance..............................Ron