In the garage
    ME
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any OEM headset alternatives?

Hello, I would like to use Eluder GT's CB radio, as well as the Intercom features and hear the radio through a headset. Now I'm looking at Yamaha's OEM accessory headset which is actually the J&M and I just can't see forking out 700 bucks to get myself and wife hooked up. Thats two headsets, passenger connection kit, headset connection cord, passenger ext. cord. So is there a more affordable option out there like the bluetooth headsets & do I lose some of the built-in features of the infotainment system going the cordless route?

United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any OEM headset alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder18 View Post
    Hello, I would like to use Eluder GT's CB radio, as well as the Intercom features and hear the radio through a headset. Now I'm looking at Yamaha's OEM accessory headset which is actually the J&M and I just can't see forking out 700 bucks to get myself and wife hooked up. Thats two headsets, passenger connection kit, headset connection cord, passenger ext. cord. So is there a more affordable option out there like the bluetooth headsets & do I lose some of the built-in features of the infotainment system going the cordless route?
    Sierra Electronics sells the headsets and lower cords at a lower cost https://www.sierra-mc.com/

I purchased the below ( 2 sets) they work fine, the extension can only be purchased from Yamaha. Hope this helps.

JM-HC-ZYH J&M Z-Series Lower 8-pin Headset Cord for 1998-2019 Harley 7-pin Audio Systems - J&M Elite 801 ONLY
    $58.50
    JM-HS-EHI801-UNV-XHO J&M Elite 801 Series Helmet Headset Universal-Style for most Open/Flip-up/Full-Face Style Helmets
    $154.99

In the garage
    ME
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Sena makes a system called the Freewire. They advertise it for the Honda Goldwing and Harley models. I wonder if it would work on the SVTC/Eluder seeing how it has a similar audio/com output connection as the Harley. If it does that would give access to all the bikes audio/com features with the use of a Sena headset. I guess if I had to shell out big bucks for a com/audio unit I'd rather not have cords dangling in the breeze. Anyone here have experience with the Freewire on either the Venture or Eluder that can confirm its compatibility?

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder18 View Post
    I see Sena makes a system called the Freewire. They advertise it for the Honda Goldwing and Harley models. I wonder if it would work on the SVTC/Eluder seeing how it has a similar audio/com output connection as the Harley. If it does that would give access to all the bikes audio/com features with the use of a Sena headset. I guess if I had to shell out big bucks for a com/audio unit I'd rather not have cords dangling in the breeze. Anyone here have experience with the Freewire on either the Venture or Eluder that can confirm its compatibility?
    Didn't read through all of this but, Here Ya Go!

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/s...e-2018-Venture

And this:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/s...-Sena-Freewire
    TANSTAAFL

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at what Sierra Electronics have to offer: https://www.sierra-mc.com/

These guys know their stuff, with prices that are better than anywhere else I have seen... I've been using them exclusively for over 15 years for my Goldwing and Yamaha headset needs. Give them a call and they can tell you what besides J&M will work on the bike. I usually stick with J&M as I've rarely had a problem with their equipment.

IMC offers 5, 6, and 7 pin headsets to install in helmets - Sierra has them for about $80/set. Sierra will also install in the your helmet for you (i've done this in the past - their turnaround is usually real quick) - or buy a new helmet with the headset already installed (done this too and greatly satisfied).