IGNORED

Crazy front brake grinding noise

So, new bike to me for a few months. I have a brake grinding noise on the front, only when I am almost completely stopped. It's fine at higher speeds. I pulled all the pads and they are like new...lots of meat. I checked the rotors (both front) and no grooves etc. I don't have a jack yet so can't lift the front end to see if the rotors are straight... what gives?

Dirty?

Out of true rotors?

Need new pads? these defective?

Thanks guys!

Patrick :canada:

I don't know whether you done this or not, but try to move the bike under power and then play with the front brake to see if you can better pinpoint the sound, it could be coming from elsewhere. You might even try to start at the top of an incline so you can shut the motor off to help locate it. More often than not the rear tends to make more sound issues than the front. And make sure the radio and such are completely turned off, completely turned off and helmet unplugged.

The brake pads should have anti vibration shims or plates installed make sure they are there, if they are try getting some of that red spray on brake quiet stuff and treat the inside of the shim plates and the back of the pads.

Yup, that was going to be my suggestion, wheel bearings! Try to jack the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground and spin the wheel and apply the brakes to try to duplicate the sound. I'm betting you won't be able to duplicate it if the bearings are bad as there needs to be a load on the tire to make them grind...

All good suggestions but don't overthink it just yet. It is not at all uncommon on the RSV to get some a noise with the front brakes. Some brands of pads are worse than others. A lot of people have removed the pads and just slightly chamfered the leading edge of the pads and that successfully eliminated the noise.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I drove it in the rain today and with the liquid conditions there was no noise so I think I can rule out the front bearing. I think I am just getting brake pad chattering. So I'll look for some brake pad stay liquid and see if that helps...

Patrick:canada: