User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: CB radio pinout

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Barre
    Posts
    309
    United States
    MA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I disagree that CB sucks in the USA. It comes down to what you use it for. If your main goal is communication with other riders, it's the best way to go. You simply find a channel that is not being heavily used and it's great for that purpose. More bikes have CB than they do Ham so your odds of somebody else in the group having a way to communicate with you is much higher. If you are looking for long distance communications, then Ham is far and beyond the better choice. That is not what I'm looking for on a bike though.
    Yea, go ahead and find a channel that is clear. When the truckers "who own the band" find you they will turn on their 1KW linear amps and purposely step on your communications; been there and seen that many times. FRS for $30 is the way to go. Radio is my life, I know it well, so I'm not speaking out my booty on this believe me!!

    You want to experience professional CB at it's finest, go to Alaska. They know radio and how it should work.
    Will Rogers - The modern day one

    All states ridden on my 89VR, Blue, the fastest color!!

    Hidden Content

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Moody
    Posts
    514
    United States
    AL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    Quote Originally Posted by uhfradarwill View Post
    Yea, go ahead and find a channel that is clear. When the truckers "who own the band" find you they will turn on their 1KW linear amps and purposely step on your communications; been there and seen that many times. FRS for $30 is the way to go. Radio is my life, I know it well, so I'm not speaking out my booty on this believe me!!

    You want to experience professional CB at it's finest, go to Alaska. They know radio and how it should work.
    I haven't had any issues with truckers and I use my CB quite a bit. Always use it for communicating with my road guards when I am leading a charity ride (which is average of twice a month). And use it often when traveling. Most of the time I am on a channel like 3 or 4, and sometimes 33 or so. Truckers are on 19. I will get bleed over every once in a while, maybe once a year.

    I have communicated with truckers before as the old fat guy on a purple motorcycle, and get along with them fairly well.

    If my RSV had FRS, I would use it for sure. But it is equipped with a CB and I am okay with that.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oberlin, OH
    Posts
    16,063
    United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    I'm not doubting anybody's expertise with radios. I'm certainly not saying that CB is as good as HAM or FRS. I'm simply saying that CB is still the best choice for those who want to communicate with other motorcycles due simply to the fact that more bikers are using CB than anything else. In every group ride I've ever been on, the vast majority of riders that have any kind of bike to bike communication had CB. It does no good to have HAM or FRS if the people you are riding with do not. Most touring bikes that come with bike to bike communication, come with CB. That's just a fact. For better or worse, it's still the standard for bike to bike communication. As for finding a clear channel, we have not had a problem on the rides where we have used it and I've participated on group rides all over the country.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    4,530
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I'm not doubting anybody's expertise with radios. I'm certainly not saying that CB is as good as HAM or FRS. I'm simply saying that CB is still the best choice for those who want to communicate with other motorcycles due simply to the fact that more bikers are using CB than anything else. In every group ride I've ever been on, the vast majority of riders that have any kind of bike to bike communication had CB. It does no good to have HAM or FRS if the people you are riding with do not. Most touring bikes that come with bike to bike communication, come with CB. That's just a fact. For better or worse, it's still the standard for bike to bike communication. As for finding a clear channel, we have not had a problem on the rides where we have used it and I've participated on group rides all over the country.

    I have been using CB since the the early seventy's and am in the trucking industry. I agree with Don. Although you do get walked on occasionally I find it rarely happens. Linears are not as common as they once were and cell phones with headsets are more common so CB traffic among truckers has actually gone down over the years. Most Bikers using CB tend to stay on 29 and since many truckers themselves are bikers they tend to respect that just as they hope everyone else respects 19, as the truckers channel.
    Last edited by saddlebum; 10-10-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    I AM A DRINKER OF THE WIND Hidden Content

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brantford
    Posts
    9,017
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I'm not doubting anybody's expertise with radios. I'm certainly not saying that CB is as good as HAM or FRS. I'm simply saying that CB is still the best choice for those who want to communicate with other motorcycles due simply to the fact that more bikers are using CB than anything else. In every group ride I've ever been on, the vast majority of riders that have any kind of bike to bike communication had CB. It does no good to have HAM or FRS if the people you are riding with do not. Most touring bikes that come with bike to bike communication, come with CB. That's just a fact. For better or worse, it's still the standard for bike to bike communication. As for finding a clear channel, we have not had a problem on the rides where we have used it and I've participated on group rides all over the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
    I have been using CB since the the early seventy's and am in the trucking industry. I agree with Don. Although you do get walked on occasionally I find it rarely happens. Linears are not as common as they once were and cell phones with headsets are more common so CB traffic among truckers has actually gone down over the years. Most Bikers using CB tend to stay on 29 and since many truckers themselves are bikers they tend to respect that just as they hope everyone else respects 19, as the truckers channel.
    I happen to like these posts, not that there is anything wrong with the others, it's just that these 2 said what I might of said if I had thought of it first.
    It's nice to be the same
    But
    It's great to be different!

  6. Likes videoarizona liked this post
  7. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Posts
    94
    United States
    CO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    I have actually had a CB in just about every vehicle since high school. I tend to run on 22 (my local offloading club channel). I have ordered parts parts for the ipod dock and then will start probing the CB and come up with a pin out and working circuit diagram.
    Last edited by mantree91; 10-11-2018 at 10:45 PM.

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Barre
    Posts
    309
    United States
    MA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
    I have been using CB since the the early seventy's and am in the trucking industry. I agree with Don. Although you do get walked on occasionally I find it rarely happens. Linears are not as common as they once were and cell phones with headsets are more common so CB traffic among truckers has actually gone down over the years. Most Bikers using CB tend to stay on 29 and since many truckers themselves are bikers they tend to respect that just as they hope everyone else respects 19, as the truckers channel.
    I can tell that sadlebum knows CB just buy his term "walked on"!!
    Will Rogers - The modern day one

    All states ridden on my 89VR, Blue, the fastest color!!

    Hidden Content

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Barre
    Posts
    309
    United States
    MA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    Quote Originally Posted by uhfradarwill View Post
    I can tell that sadlebum knows CB just buy his term "walked on"!!
    BTW
    How does that song go??
    It was the dark of the moon on the 5th on June, with a Kenworth hauling logs. A cab-over Pete with a refer on hauling....
    or somethin like that....

    Will Rogers - The modern day one

    All states ridden on my 89VR, Blue, the fastest color!!

    Hidden Content

  10. Likes videoarizona liked this post
  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Stephenville
    Posts
    273
    United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CB radio pinout

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I disagree that CB sucks in the USA. It comes down to what you use it for. If your main goal is communication with other riders, it's the best way to go. You simply find a channel that is not being heavily used and it's great for that purpose. More bikes have CB than they do Ham so your odds of somebody else in the group having a way to communicate with you is much higher. If you are looking for long distance communications, then Ham is far and beyond the better choice. That is not what I'm looking for on a bike though.

    I agree, there are four of us that ride together and the cb works great for that. My son doesn’t have a cb, so we use gmrs they work even better.
    Hidden Content

    Bill Donohue

    2001 RSV 44689 miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. My radio antenna coax cable came out of the radio
    By Eck in forum Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 02:24 PM
  2. Do we have a pinout for the handlebar audio?
    By Keemez in forum Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 11:30 PM
  3. Radio's out - again!
    By Jinksy4 in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM
  4. Pinout of the "information display" on the dash
    By timgray in forum Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
  5. J&M headset pinout diagram
    By KingPin006 in forum GPS, Audio, Electronics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •