IGNORED

Moving the trunk back

Have any of you looked at moving the trunk back just a bit? On the RSV, there was another set of holes under the trunk and many of us took advantage of it and moved the trunk back. I think it was about an inch difference. Just a quick look didn't reveal such existing holes on the '18. KuryAkyn made a relocator kit for the Harley Road Glide that served that purpose very well and was even adjustable.

My wife isn't very big but with the Utopia backrest installed, moving it back that inch would be better and give her a bit more room. I wish I had slowed down and taken a look at it while I had the trunk off during the trailer hitch install. I may have to pull it off again to see how to modify it.

She may be ok, haven't tried it yet but I know it would be better a little further back.

Edited by Freebird

Have any of you looked at moving the trunk back just a bit? On the RSV, there was another set of holes under the trunk and many of us took advantage of it and moved the trunk back. I think it was about an inch difference. Just a quick look didn't reveal such existing holes on the '18. KuryAkyn made a relocator kit for the Harley Road Glide that served that purpose very well and was even adjustable.

My wife isn't very big but with the Utopia backrest installed, moving it back that inch would be better and give her a bit more room. I wish I had slowed down and taken a look at it while I had the trunk off during the trailer hitch install. I may have to pull it off again to see how to modify it.

She may be ok, haven't tried it yet but I know it would be better a little further back.

Don't got answer boss but damn you sound like a kid with his first bicycle... [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

I wish it were that easy.

I got up this morning and looked into this issue a bit further. Yamaha has made it very difficult to impossible to move the trunk back. I pulled the liner out of the trunk and found that there are 4 bolts that bolt the trunk to the steel frame underneath. I removed those 4 bolts and the trunk was loose but wouldn't move back. Then I noticed that the nuts that hold secure the passenger backrest were preventing it from moving rearward. So I removed the passenger backrest and there lies the issue. There is a steel frame that is welded to the trunk support assembly. The bolts for the passenger backrest go through that steel frame and then through the trunk. So it's really the steel frame that supports the passenger backrest, not the front of the trunk. So, you could make some spacers to go between the backrest support and the trunk and move the trunk back, It moved back with no problem, but that defeats the purpose because the passenger backrest does not move back with the trunk and therefore you still have no more passenger room than you did before. So this issue is pretty much put to bed, in my opinion. The only solution that I can see would be to make some major modifications to the entire truck support/backrest assembly and that would require some cutting and welding. Something that I'm not willing to do.

Then I had to mow the yard and had a few hours to think it through. I decided that maybe I was just approaching it wrong so took another look. I still didn't come up with a good solution though.

I'm attaching a drawing of the bracket that would have to be modified. The only way I see to move the trunk back would be to cut the tubing somewhere around where I have placed the arrows. Insert and weld some sleeves inside the tubing. It would be easy except for the bend on the front tubing. I don't think there is enough straight run there to insert a sleeve. It would probably have to be bent and welded. There just isn't an easy way to do this. I've actually thought about buying an extra bracket to see what I could do with it but they are about $300.00. The good news is that my wife went for a ride with me today for the first time on this bike and says that she is fine with it as is.

bracket.jpeg

I wish it were that easy.

I got up this morning and looked into this issue a bit further. Yamaha has made it very difficult to impossible to move the trunk back. I pulled the liner out of the trunk and found that there are 4 bolts that bolt the trunk to the steel frame underneath. I removed those 4 bolts and the trunk was loose but wouldn't move back. Then I noticed that the nuts that hold secure the passenger backrest were preventing it from moving rearward. So I removed the passenger backrest and there lies the issue. There is a steel frame that is welded to the trunk support assembly. The bolts for the passenger backrest go through that steel frame and then through the trunk. So it's really the steel frame that supports the passenger backrest, not the front of the trunk. So, you could make some spacers to go between the backrest support and the trunk and move the trunk back, It moved back with no problem, but that defeats the purpose because the passenger backrest does not move back with the trunk and therefore you still have no more passenger room than you did before. So this issue is pretty much put to bed, in my opinion. The only solution that I can see would be to make some major modifications to the entire truck support/backrest assembly and that would require some cutting and welding. Something that I'm not willing to do.

Then I had to mow the yard and had a few hours to think it through. I decided that maybe I was just approaching it wrong so took another look. I still didn't come up with a good solution though.

I'm attaching a drawing of the bracket that would have to be modified. The only way I see to move the trunk back would be to cut the tubing somewhere around where I have placed the arrows. Insert and weld some sleeves inside the tubing. It would be easy except for the bend on the front tubing. I don't think there is enough straight run there to insert a sleeve. It would probably have to be bent and welded. There just isn't an easy way to do this. I've actually thought about buying an extra bracket to see what I could do with it but they are about $300.00. The good news is that my wife went for a ride with me today for the first time on this bike and says that she is fine with it as is.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114457

i kinda thought she would be Don. There’s PLENTY of room back there, so I was surprised you were already looking at trying to move it back. Could it be you were going on the assumption of what was needed with your RSV? Just a thought.