Well, I guess I've got it bad.

I've bought a second '84 Venture. I now own 2, the blue one and a red one. I pick up the new red bike next Saturday.

It has some issues but seems mostly in good order. Body work, rear brakes, the usual kind of old Venture stuff, but only 21,000 Kilometers! Lots of tinkering postential. A bike to ride and a bike to tinker with, what could be better?

Old blue ran well all the way over and back, about 110 km's total. I was afraid she'd sulk but nope, she seemed good with it. The sun came out on the way home which hopefully is a good omen too.

I'll keep you posted.

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

Is the red a standard also? Be interested to see if it's got the pinstriping on it. I've seen some like mine that have the same style but not exact copies of my stripes. Be interested in the origin of these. Factory or dealer option?

Speaking of Mrs's, the guy I bought RED from said his wife wasn't happy with him selling the bike 'cause she found it the most comfortable to ride as passenger on. (He had had Goldwings and things before and now has some other big Honda model, but I didn't catch which one.)

He said that his wife could actually fall asleep on the back while riding, it was so comfy. Now I don't doubt that its a comfy ride but a passenger falling asleep sounds dangerous to me. I guess I don't really know how he feels about the wife but I think I would tend to discourage my passengers from doing that regardless.

Thoughts ?

Brian H.

Speaking of Mrs's, the guy I bought RED from said his wife wasn't happy with him selling the bike 'cause she found it the most comfortable to ride as passenger on. (He had had Goldwings and things before and now has some other big Honda model, but I didn't catch which one.)

He said that his wife could actually fall asleep on the back while riding, it was so comfy. Now I don't doubt that its a comfy ride but a passenger falling asleep sounds dangerous to me. I guess I don't really know how he feels about the wife but I think I would tend to discourage my passengers from doing that regardless.

Thoughts ?

Brian H.

Hey Brian

I found a little Silly Puddy and G Force keeps my wife on when she takes a nap. Just have to make sure she has hands in her pockets. First time she felt like she flew in from Australia her shoulders we're so sore flapping around back there like that, lol. But seriously, I've had tons of ppl fall asleep back there, never had one fall off yet or heard of it from any of my Bros and I'm sure I would've heard of it by now. Only thing I've heard of or experienced is passanger gets a dang sore sore neck from the helmet weight. But it's a big big world and stuff happens. :yikes:

Knees In The Breeze

Is the red a standard also? Be interested to see if it's got the pinstriping on it. I've seen some like mine that have the same style but not exact copies of my stripes. Be interested in the origin of these. Factory or dealer option?

Here are a couple of pics. Click on them for a BIG version. Hope you get your answers.

http://www12.asphost4free.com/easthope/bike4/DCP_0701.JPG

Do those side panels look repainted to you?

http://www12.asphost4free.com/easthope/bike4/DCP_0703.JPG

None of the other bikes in the pix are mine BTW.

Cheers,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

You've got the standard factory pinstriping, mine has that plus the hand-painted custom pinstriping. Your bike has either been repainted or never seen the sun in its 24 years!!! That thing looks good! I do think you need the chrome rear bumper though. Mine looked unfinished till I got one. Now it looks fantastic!!! I like the chrome trim on the front fender, gonna get one one of these days.

You've got the standard factory pinstriping, mine has that plus the hand-painted custom pinstriping. Your bike has either been repainted or never seen the sun in its 24 years!!! That thing looks good! I do think you need the chrome rear bumper though. Mine looked unfinished till I got one. Now it looks fantastic!!! I like the chrome trim on the front fender, gonna get one one of these days.

Danob11, what kind of pipes are on that bike?

Your bike has either been repainted or never seen the sun in its 24 years!!!

Ya, I have concluded that she has been repainted. The pin striping has been painted over on the front fender and the lower rear lobes on the side panels are not matt black as was the case, I believe, when they left the factory.

According to the paperwork that came with her, she has had quite a number of owners over the years so I really don't know whether the 21,000 kms on the clock is really 121,000 or 221,000 but I think she looks good and the price was right whatever the mileage. She started right up and came off the truck under her own power today.

http://www12.asphost4free.com/easthope/bike4/P0002652-800.jpg

Its the first bike I have ever test ridden before committing to buy and the first one that came into the garage under her own steam so hope fully I have a winner.

Thanks for the pointers and advice.

Cheers,

Brian H.

Danob11, what kind of pipes are on that bike?

Those are shorty RK (Road King) pipes that were on there when I got the bike. I now have stock factory mufflers on there with the chrome rear bumper. I still have tose pipes if somebody wants them. Mount up to factory hangers.

The side covers look like the black tape has been removed from them by the passenger foot pegs.

The pin stripes are not original.

I have 3 Mk 1s and the stripes all look like Dans

Jeff

Jeff, are your stripes hand-painted? Were they factory? Curious.

Dan

Those are shorty RK (Road King) pipes that were on there when I got the bike. I now have stock factory mufflers on there with the chrome rear bumper. I still have tose pipes if somebody wants them. Mount up to factory hangers.

Jeff, are your stripes hand-painted? Were they factory? Curious.

Dan

Sent ya a PM, lets talk, I am interested in the pipes.

Thoughts ?

My wife doesn't doze easily but has ALMOST done it on the back of my 87. My 3 kids have all dozed on the back. It's a little freaky but they all seem to stay upright and just bob their head back and forth. I rode one mountain road with my daughter doing that and for some reason I felt compelled to keep on hand on her calf most of the way but she never budged. If I can't see their head in the mirrors they are either upright behind me or gone totally. :eek:

Well, there was the one time that my son fell off. I live on a dirt road and was bringing him home from church one evening. The last few minutes he was dozing, which I detected by the head-bobbing. I had to cross a wash which, though not running, was stirred-up by the monsoon season and the sand was softer than I thought it should be. Bertha started to push the front end and just plumb went over on the crash bars, followed by my son tumbling off the bike and onto the sand. He kinda rolled onto his feet with a dazed look on his face. :rolleyes:

Jeremy