IGNORED

CA or Bust!! from VA

OutKast

Bubba and Mamma will be pulling out of Roanoke VA on Sep 5th or 6th for a short ride to Los Angeles, CA to visit our daughter, a USC student. I will be piloting my 04 RSV w/ piggybacker XL, my wife is choosing to ride on her own VS700 Intruder. Been going crazy all my spare time for last three weeks. Fresh E3's on the Venture, fresh D404's on her much lighter Intruder, Fresh plugs, oil, carbtunes on both, new fork seals in the intruder. Packed tools and spare parts tonite, including bearings and seals for the piggy.

We will be following mostly I-40 going out, seeing Cross Ministries, Cadillac Ranch, Grand canyon, Rt 66, and the Wigwam Motel.

Coming back thru Vegas, Denver, Badlands, meeting up with an FJR rider in Mission SD on Sep 19 for the ride home.

The only way we can afford this trip is camping. Suggestions on free/cheap camping??? We have picked up a National Parks annual pass.

So, more to come if anybody interested. Guess I need to learn to post pics.

A good trip, but not so much fun on the interstate, as you might have guessed. I do it frequently to AZ and sometimes I hit hotels and other times I camp. Plot out on a map about how far you think you might make it in a day. Survey the area off of I-40 for state parks (or other parks) that allow camping, or Google search koa or campgrounds for your nearest options. Adjust your road trip accordingly. If you have an RV/camping/trailer store near you, you might be able to find a book which lists options and take that with you. Maybe hit Borders or search the net for one as well. Remember, a state park may not have as many services as a koa or similar establishment. Ride safe and enjoy.

Thanks Guys. Still sorting/packing every night this week, trying to get everything we need, but nothing else. Will have laptop along, seems most KOA have Wi-Fi and power. We have a National Park Service Annual pass we will be using at Grand Canyon. Will check back in tomorrow night.

Friday was 450 miles to Nashville. Caught in a gullywasher on the 440 bypass. Finally got a way overpriced super 8.

Saturday. Had waffle for breakfast at hotel. Left out about 8 am Drizzle and overcast till after Cracker Barrel in memphis. Nice weather through arkansas, but lots of trucks. Then like driving into a black hole in Oklahoma. Interstate mostly deserted.

Mamma continues to amaze me. Over 550 miles just today on her 86 VS700 intruder, and ready for more. But fast impending darkness pushed us into the KOA.

Later