IGNORED

Track my travels via GPS spotter...live!

FutureVentures

So, I picked up a REALLY cool new toy, a GPS transmitter, for a few reasons.

One- to enable folks on this forum to follow, in almost real time, my bike travels.

Two- for my wife to have comfort knowing where I am, esp. when out of cell range, on my long trips.

-Mtn. biking alone in the trails, this can send an alert of my location, should I whack a rock or something.

So, I have a GPS transmitter I've been playing with for a week or so.

Click here to see my recent travels:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=07AVc4aiQsNh8cYYCBy7sbYRAizTEtyEW

You will see a map on the right, with a bunch of foot prints with numbers. Those are my "tracks".

Every 10 mins. the GPS "Spot" transmit my location.

On the left is a list of the spots it transmitted from.

Hover the mouse over one of the tracks and the correlating footprint on the map will, for lack of better term, radiate waves.

Go to the satellite or hybrid view and you can see what activity I was doing this past Tuesday. :sign isnt that spec

Anyways, I have a trip starting on Sept. 6th, early am. Wanted to post this here now to make sure it's working as intended prior to leaving.

I will put the spotter in track mode starting at, uggh, 4am on the 6th. Then, if you're really bored, you can visit this site and see where I'm at.

I'll also try to post a couple messages to the board during the trip via Blackberry.

What can I say, I'm a geek at heart.

No Wizard, I'm not yet on house arrest. Though sometimes when my wife is mad, it does feel that way!:Avatars_Gee_George:

If she can see the places you've stop, you may be under more than house arrest. You may end up under that house.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I've spent more than a few days on business in that area at Buckley road and I 94. The company usually sends me up there in the winter, though I did spend a week there in June a few years back. Pretty country in the summer time. Wish I'd had a bike instead of a rental car.

Hey Erich, That's Cool. But I Dont wanna have one so my wife can track me :whistling:. Is it time For Norhern IL to Call Meet & Eat? There is Bunch of good restaurants round Cristal Lake. What About This LD Weekend? Let Me Know.

Yeah, that might work. R U in Crystal Lake?

Sun. is probably my only available day though. Working Monday. :-(

Word to the wise about GPS systems from a Law Enforcement perspective.

Not to be a wet noodle, but in metro Atlanta, GPS system thefts are skyrocketing! Most people leave them visible attached to the windshield of their vehicles. Some of our lesser privledged population have no problem of breaking out a window and stealing your GPS and selling it to a co-hort for 10-20 bucks. Buys a "rock" or two.

Now the trend is that the crooks after stealong your GPS system and knowing your a work, hit "home and get perfect directions to your house while your slaving away..

Now, I know that this is in a metro area, but crime is spreading out to all locals.

Just my two cents, be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word to the wise about GPS systems from a Law Enforcement perspective.

Not to be a wet noodle, but in metro Atlanta, GPS system thefts are skyrocketing! Most people leave them visible attached to the windshield of their vehicles. Some of our lesser privledged population have no problem of breaking out a window and stealing your GPS and selling it to a co-hort for 10-20 bucks. Buys a "rock" or two.

Now the trend is that the crooks after stealong your GPS system and knowing your a work, hit "home and get perfect directions to your house while your slaving away..

Now, I know that this is in a metro area, but crime is spreading out to all locals.

Just my two cents, be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh, but here's the difference. This isn't a GPS receiver, it's a transmitter. There is no display, just a few lights.

Sooooo, if someone does steal it and it's on, I will be able to track their sorry arses down every time it transmits it's location! It's kind of like a portable lojack.

Course, thieves are dumb. I've thought about putting a sticker on it telling would be thieves if they steal it, they will be found. But then I thought, most thieves probably can't read.

How much $$$?

Hey,

If you're asking me, I picked it up for about $125 and the annual fee, with tracking, is $150. That includes a $7 annual rescue/location/finder fee.

Well worth the piece of mind knowing someone might find me if I'm in a ditch, lost in the boonies, or take the wrong back country route snowboarding.

That and it's just a really neat gadget.

Hey,

If you're asking me, I picked it up for about $125 and the annual fee, with tracking, is $150. That includes a $7 annual rescue/location/finder fee.

Well worth the piece of mind knowing someone might find me if I'm in a ditch, lost in the boonies, or take the wrong back country route snowboarding.

That and it's just a really neat gadget.

I know my wife would have slept a lot easier last week while I was enroute to Salt Lake City and back if'n I'd had one of those. Please tell us more, model # would be nice

I know my wife would have slept a lot easier last week while I

was enroute to Salt Lake City and back if'n I'd had one of those. Please tell us more, model # would be nice

Yeah, when we do our annual round-the-lake ride, I always lose cell signal at the top. Much to her dismay and concern. So, this "should" help.

If you go to http://www.findmespot.com you'll get all the goods.

But, do NOT purchase the Spotter from them directly, it's overpriced. Search E-bay, as I did. Saved about $30, even after shipping.

There is only one model, far as I know. It also works in rain and even, under water. It's really meant as a survival tool.

Cheers

• 7 months later...