IGNORED

Can someone please explain the differences?

pilothawk

I've spent sever hours reading the forums now and there are so many references to the bike that I do not understand. I'm having a very difficult time figuring out which articles actually apply to my bike.

I just bought a 1989 Venture Royale with ~30k miles. Now for the hard part.....

Is this a gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 or what?

What is an MK I and an MK II?

As far as tires go this bike needs a set, or at least the rear. The front is slightly cupped, but has good tread. What are the recommendations for a new tire(s). There's a ton of information on the site, but man its hard to decipher it unless you have figured out who on here has which bike!

Thanks for any responses,

Chris

You have purchased a 1st Generation Venture, 2d generation wasn't manufactured until 99. I also don't know what the 3d generation would be. Heck, I don't even know what the MK I and MK II stuff is either and I've been on VRs since 86. As far as tires go, seems the greater majority of VR riders prefer Avon. That's the brand I put on about 5 months back and they are perhaps the best riding and seem to be the brand with the least derogatory issues. Great tires. I just wish Avon made them with RWLs.

I would think that 190 for a set of Michellins is a good price. Michellin also makes a good tire and I personnally wouldn't have a problem with them. I am sure that you will eventually have numerous opinions from other on this site. Tires are mainly a matter of personnal preference for many, while others may state it is a matter of known history associated with any specific tire manufacturer. I think that most tires these days are acceptable if maintained exactly recommended by the manufacturer. In my opinion tires are the main safety item on your bike, brakes being next. Having said that, to me anyway, price shouldn't be factor between the asphalt and my skin.

• 1st Gen = '83 to '93 and '94 in Europe (possibly remaining '93's)
  • 2nd Gen = '99 to Present
  • 3rd Gen = 2010(?)+ If it becomes that due to rumored change, it might even just become a MK II.

• MK I = 1st Gen '83 to '85
  • MK II = 1st Gen '86 to '93/'94

With regards to tires, there are some reviews by V7Goose that you might find interesting. Also, it is really a preference. Some like Avons, Dunlops, Pirelli's, Metz and Bridgestone (also referred to as Brickstones).

From what I have read in the forums, not by personal experience, the least preferred tires are the Metz and Brickstones. Do a search for all above listed brands and you will get the picture.

I've spent sever hours reading the forums now and there are so many references to the bike that I do not understand. I'm having a very difficult time figuring out which articles actually apply to my bike.

I just bought a 1989 Venture Royale with ~30k miles. Now for the hard part.....

Is this a gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 or what?

What is an MK I and an MK II?

As far as tires go this bike needs a set, or at least the rear. The front is slightly cupped, but has good tread. What are the recommendations for a new tire(s). There's a ton of information on the site, but man its hard to decipher it unless you have figured out who on here has which bike!

Thanks for any responses,

Chris

83-85 1stGen MKI

86-93 1stGen MKII

99-pres 2ndGen

I still don't know where the detuned 96-98 Royal Stars fall into the whole scheme of things as they still had the V4 motor.

Here's a link to the board history page.

http://www.venturerider.org/modules/history/index.php

From what I can tell, these are not Michelin tires, but Maxxis brand tires. The Michelin logo is a bit misleading, but I think they are also advertising closeouts on selected Michelin tires.

I don't know anthing about Maxxis tires, never heard of them. That the dealer is not supporting them anymore says something, but they are probably a good buy, and shipping is free.

Thank you for the reply. With registrations fees, insurance, new helmets, and complete bike servicing I think the Avon's are a lot out of my price range.

Any thoughts on these tires?

fleabay special

Thanks,

Chris

The difference between Avons from Southwestmoto.com and the unknown Maxxi's will be about 35-40 bucks, and for that difference I suggest biting the bullet and getting the known Avons. The one thing you don't want to do is skimp on tires. They are the only thing between you and very hard pavement....

Thanks guys, now I know what people are talking about a little more clearly!

I picked the bike up this afternoon, but lousy weather and midnight shift work prevent me from posting any pictures. I'll get a few up as soon as I can.

Chris

Thank you for the reply. With registrations fees, insurance, new helmets, and complete bike servicing I think the Avon's are a lot out of my price range.

Any thoughts on these tires?

fleabay special

Thanks,

Chris

I have used these guys a few times and they are great for maxxis tires from them is 120 and free shipping I have 3000 miles on a pair and really like them, no wobble or squerm.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/basket.asp?Gift=false&0=assets%2Fhtml%2Fd%5Fstreet%2Easp%2CnavId%3Dd%5Fstreet%2A0%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CStreet&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D456%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CStreet+Tires%2C+Wheels&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D163%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CMaxxis+Street+Tires&3=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D609%26Tree%3D2%2CMaxxis+M6011+Classic+Tire&BskChg=True&mscssid=CDB43A0F3CEC48B39D2C1040D7A1D04D

Just a thought on ebay tires....careful....they could be old.

I like deals as well...but tires....be careful.

If you think tires are expensive....get a set up here from the dealers. Close to double the cost and thats no fib!

Rick's right, Tires are very expensive up here.

I have E3's on the rear and E2's on the front...

You don't want to know my cost!

Love them.

Had about 40,000 klms on the back E3's and still had at least 10,000 klms left but changed before our trip this summer. I like good rubber.

A lot of guys up here are going for the avons, and like them.

If you are going to be putting on a lot of milage, I would recomend a good tire.

The age thing is a problem also.

From what I understand, after so many years the rubber starts to get hard, and you loose road grip.

I'm not sure how many years before this happens, maybe someone knows.

Condor is also right, you don't scrimp on tires.

Too important!

You have a great bike, enjoy!