IGNORED

Rubber manifolds?

While working on the bike the other day, I noticed that the reubber manifolds from the carbs and showing some signs of cracking. Bike is an 01 and has 55k on her. Is this comon? I don't notice any problems, have some slight backfiring, (have not plugged AIS yet). but the bike getrs consistant mileage, 35+.

Is it expensive/difficult to replace the manifolds? :puzzled:

While working on the bike the other day, I noticed that the reubber manifolds from the carbs and showing some signs of cracking. Bike is an 01 and has 55k on her. Is this comon? I don't notice any problems, have some slight backfiring, (have not plugged AIS yet). but the bike getrs consistant mileage, 35+.

Is it expensive/difficult to replace the manifolds? :puzzled:

It's not uncommon for them to be cracking, my '99s both had cracks in them and I later replaced them on my 2nd one. The carbs have to be pulled off, but other than that it isn't terrible. spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid around the cracks to see if there is a leak. The engine will rev a bit if there is an airleak.

I believe that I spent about $150 for the replacements, might be more now. If there isn't a problem and you can live with looking at the cracks then....dont worry about it till it becomes a problem :2cents:

ok, thanks, I'll try the carb cleaner trick. If they are bad, is the factory the only place to get them or any other discount parts place?

You can go to one of our vendors that offer us a discount. Flatout motorsports is a good place and there are others in the vendors area, more will jump on with other names, Zanotti's is another good place to buy new OEM parts.

http://www.zanottimotor.com/

There's been a lot of discussion of these cracks, and those who have pulled the boots find that the cracks don't extend all the way through (so they are not a source of air). Those boots are pretty thick. Unless your bike starts running poorly, I wouldn't worry about them.

Kelly