IGNORED

Forks topping out with a clunk. Help?

Guest RogerRoger

Guest RogerRoger

I've spent the evening searching the forum and find a bunch of talk about the forks bottoming out but nothing on them topping out.

I have a 91 VR with stock fork springs and fresh seals. I added oil per the instructions (5.5" from collapsed top. I can't remember the weight of the oil.

When we ride, with the air set to medium, the fork will top out at times and makes a "clunk" sound.

It doesn't seem to cause a problem, just a worrisome sound.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Roger

I think this is just a matter of semantics.

I've had a thread about "bottoming out" which was cured by replacing the sagging springs with new Progressives.

When you refer to "topping out" are you meaning that the forks are extending to their limits (like abruptly falling into a hole) or simply making a clunking noise as they "work" with no particular attention to whether they are extending or compressing?

If you are able to grab the bars and bounce the bike to hear a clunk sound - I believe we are talking the same thing: Your springs are weak and need replacement.

In my case the level of fluid or even air preload made little difference. They were simply too short from sagging.

Murph'