IGNORED

Brake light problem

Hey all. I just joined up a couple weeks ago, found many helpful tips in the forums already! Now I need some help from the collective experience pool. I am in the middle of a mini vacation (run down the Oregon coast) and my tail lights are out. I got pulled over for it lastnight and now I'm stranded in Yachats. By the way, the police in Newport Oregon are a really nice bunch of guys! Anyway, my bike is an 89, I have been getting an intermitent warning light on the dash, sometimes it blinks, sometimes solid. I kept checking my headlight. I've checked the fuses on top of the battery and they are all good.

I know I should spend more time checking old posts before asking but I'm trying to salvage the happy fun time part for my wife kids and granddaughter while dealing with this at the same time. So, any advice is welcome and just ask for what ever details that might help. I will be checking in as often as I can.

thanks in advance, Robert

HA..ANOTHER..1st Gen brake problem...:whistling:

OK,

IF MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT, THERE IS A BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE, UNDER THE PASSENGER FLOOR BOARD, REAR OF THE DRIVERS FLOOR BOARD UNDER THE BIKE.

WHEN YOU APPLY THE BRAKE THE LINKAGE PULLS ON A "INNER PIN" IN THE SWITCH WHICH IS ATTACHED TO A RETURN SPRING THAT IS ALSO CONNECTED TO THE SWITCH.

IF THE PIN DOES NOT MOVE, (COME OUT) THE SPRING WILL STRETCH, BUT YET THE BRAKE LIGHT WILL NOT COME ON.

LOOK UNDER THE BIKE FOR THIS SWITCH ON THE RIGHT SIDE AS EXPLAINED.

HAVE SOMEONE PUSH ON THE REAR BRAKE PEDDLE AND "YOU" WATCH TO SEE IF THE PIN COMES MOVES IN OR OUT OF THE SWITCH..OR IF THE SPRING ITSELF IS JUST "STRETCHING"

IF THE PIN DOES NOT MOVE, LIBBERLY APPLY SOME WD-40 AND THEN, USING YOUR FINGERS / NEEDLE NOSE PLYERS, PULL OUT AND PUSH IN ON THE PIN THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE SWITCH/ SPRING..

THIS PIN MUST MOVE FREELY IN THE SWITCH TO WORK AND THE BRAKE LIGHT WILL COME ON IF THE FUSE IS NOT BLOWN..

THIS PIN IS KNOWN TO LOCK UP BECAUSE IT IS UNDER THE BIKE IN ALL THE DIRT AND MUCK THAT IS ON THE ROAD THAT YOU RIDE IN..

:thumbsup2:

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU..

Well you have two brake light Switchs, So, if Neither Switch actuates the brake lights, then, the Switches should NOT be the Problem.

Voltage comes ---"from "----the " Signal Fuse " so if the Turn Signals work, the fuse should be OK.

OK, follow this--- Voltage From, either Switch, Goes INTO the Instrument Panel, and then From the Instrument Panel back to the TWO Bulbs IN Parrallel.

So, Its Possible that " BOTH " of the Rear , TWO Element Bulbs are Bad.

( I know, not likley, but possible ) !!!!

REPLACE BOTH BULBS, JUST TO BE SURE---

NEXT--- Remove the Passenger Seat, Under the seat, Left side, there Is a LARGE Plug, with About 15 wires going thru it---

----- The " Yellow/Black " wire, and the " Blue/White " wire's go to the TWO Tail light bulbs, One is the Brake lite voltage, the other is the Tail light voltage.

Open this plug, and clean the Pin contacts, ( Get a can of Spray Electrical contact cleaner at most any auto parts dealer ) Carefull check all the wires going thru this plug.

The Ground to the two bulbs is Common for Tail, light, and Brake light, so if the Tail lights work, the ground is good.

--------------------------------------------------------------

NEXT---- Between the Above mentioned Plug, and the Bulbs-----

--------- There is another Pull Apart Plug, With 3 wires thru it. These wires carry the voltage, for Tail, Brake, and the Ground, TOO the two bulbs.

I don't know the exact location of this plug. Somplace between the Large Plug under the passenger position, and the Tail light assembly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another place to Check-- Remove the Headlight Assembly---

NOW--- Hard to see and get to, but there are TWO plugs going into the Instrument Panel. You might have to Pull out Several of the Relays to get access.

Remove these two plugs, and work each of them In and Out several times, as there migh be Corroded connections on the Wires Carrying the Brake light Voltage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, if All Else Fails-- Buy some #16 or #18 wire, Tap into the Ouput of the Brake Light Switch, at the Right handlebar, ( should be the " Y " Yellow Wire ) and Run the wire Back to the Two Bulb assemblies, and Tap into them there.

So you need about 8 feet of wire.

You will need a volt meter to Identify which of the Two wire s to tap into,

The one with voltage, is the Tail, you want the other one.

You will be bypassing the Inst panel, and the Red Light will be On, But the Brake light will work. This is a tempory fix.

---- IF, the problem, is INSIDE of the Instrument Panel!! ( which it might be ) then Running the Bypass would be the only Quick Fix !!!!

Good luck

Got msg fro " Royal Pain " He found the Brake light Problem.

Inside the Trunk, Former owner had a Jumble of Wires, with Twisted together Splice's , useing Black Tape to cover them !!!

He got them sorted out, and fixed a so called splice, and the Brake lights Now Work !!!!

Take Heed, All you folks out there who, strip off a wire, Twist it together, and Cover with Black Tape !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ELECTRICIANS KNOW YOUR OUT THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He made it home, and is catching 40 winks !

• 15 years later...
4 hours ago, Chris gaddy said:

I have my brake light is lit at all times. Had to have the master cylinders rebuilt on the front and rear. Can someone point me to where the problem may be . Thanks. 

If all the wiring is original then you need to look at either of the brake light switches.I would start with the foot pedal switch, it may just need to be adjusted.