IGNORED

Driving Light Relay?

When I pulled my ignition switch out I had some heat related issues on the red wire. It would seem to me that that problem stems from the addition of the driving lights as they are the only non-standard item that would add draw.

I am not sure how to do it but it would appear that the best way to eliminate the load on the switch would be to put in a relay on the driving light circuit. I am sure others have done this. Would anyone care to share how difficult they found this to do and what challenges I need to be prepared for? I sure would appreciate it.

I am assuming you are talking about the passing lights and if so I am surprised that they are not on a relay already. It's not difficult and most run a fused link directly off the battery or add a terminal/fuse block under the seat and run the main power wire from there.

It all depends on how elaborate you want to get. Here is a wiring diagram of the passing light installation. Now understand that this is how it's supposed to be wired, but in doing this you will lose ALL LIGHTS if the headlight fuse blows and that's not fun at night believe me. What I did was ran the wire that it shows going to the headlight and through the switch to the back of the AUX connector in the front fairing. That way as soon as the key is turned to the AUX position the relay is energized and the lights come on. Make sure you go through a switch so you can turn the lamps off if you just want to listen to the radio. Or you can search for and hopefully find a wire that is only hot with the key on.

I prefer the Aux connector since I KNOW what is attached to it and have no concerns about loading down the circuit. If you go for an ignition switched wire it is possible to cause damage to that circuit if the relay were to short out. Just my opinion.

I hope this helps out.

Edited by SaltyDawg

You guys are great! The only problem is that I am awaiting the brown truck with my new switch on it before I am going anywhere. I figure I'll split the fairing on Monday and see what it holds for me. I went by Autozone and they had a relay that would work so I can get everything that I need - all I have to do is make sure that I need it.

Thanks again to all you guys that help guys like me!