IGNORED

Vacation 2008

Marcarl

Guest BigJohnD

Dude...you related to Emilio Scoto?

If you do not know who I am talking about...check out his book "The Longest Ride".

Rode 500,000 miles over 10 years riding in every country on the planet. Mostly on some roads that looked like that one you were on...on a Gold Wing.

I gotta tell you...you got some stones dude. I would take my BMW 1150GS on it, but not the Venture.

Nice pics...

By the looks of some of the those roads, you may want to get that NEW GPS checked out !

Glad you two had a good time and time away from Work.

Brad

The best picture was not even taken, besides the one where Scamper decided to take a rest all by herself.

We had just come off a hard pack road onto blacktop when Naddie says to turn left at the next intersection. Now the one we came off of was not very pretty at the end, some pavement, some gravel, some holes and a curve with a good downhill slant, and the one Naddie wanted us to take was only 25% that good, a large mudhole, curves and a good sized hill, tracks in the dried mud and some large gravel, soooo, I decided to carry on to the next 'exit'. Well there wasn't one, we ran dead end, but I hate to back track so we did another look see at the suggested route. Well it wasn't as bad the second time around, so we thought to attempt it, with the approval of Marca. Scamper made an honest effort, I got to say that, no problem to get around the mud hole, avoided the tracks rather well, climbed the incline like a nimble deer and headed herself around the corner at the top of the hill,,,,,,, piece of cake this back roads riding,,,,,, all you got to have is some guts and you can find all kinds of interesting things,,,,,, like a total wash out going down the other side of the hill, but no time to get cold feet at this point, there was nowhere for feet to be put down so onwards and downwards we went, got to the bottom and remembered that at this point I had poor Scamper in 3rd gear still,,,,,,,, the reason I remembered is that the very next 50 feet, she was going to need all the horsepower and grip and balance that she could muster, for there in front of us, just ahead, heading almost straight up (or so it seemed) was a 'road' built for a mountain goat,,,,,, not a Venture,,,, let alone one with a trailer and 2 up. I went to drop her into 1st, but all the time I had was to get her into 2nd, gave her all the throttle I dared and hung on. She tried hard, dug in, and gave it a supreme effort,,, but then she started to buck,,,, cough,,, buck some more and then gave her last. Half way up the hill she did make it though,,,, and even left a place for my feet to touch bottom and hold us all up,,,,,,, but now what,,,,,,,, couldn't go back down back up, there was only one way out,,,,, straight ahead.!!! Marca dismounted at this point and could have taken a picture, but was far to interested in the future delvelopments to worry over the camera thing. I fired Scamper back up, popped her into 1st and as a true 1st gen, she nimbley finished her treck up the hill as though this was just exactly what she was made for. Oh she did slip a little to one side and found that to be so interesting that she also desidered to slip to the other side and then back again, but I kept her to the job at hand and she made the top of the hill just fine. There we found a place to turn around and then of course came the expectant trip in reverse, but this should be easier, well it was,,,,somewhat, buts that's another story.

Wish I had some pictures or video from this I tell you.

The next day we get into soaking wet sand, puddles, and more fun hills.

We had a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Naddie is the GPS, I think there is a setting inthere to avoid certain roads.

Hats of to Marca and you for taking up a new sport Dirt bikeing. If I took some of those roads Rhonda may have had a few words that are not allowed on the this site :rotf:

Brad

Nice pics Marcarl. I think I seen Bigfoot in one of your pics!:rotfl::rotfl: Glad to see I'm not the only one who's not afraid of dirt roads.:thumbsup2: We rode on some pretty bad ones ourselves last week too but from your pics I'd say you got us beat! When we were dodging the washouts and holes I told the wife I thought I heard "Deliverance" playing.:rotfl::D

If Naddie is the GPS, I think there is a setting inthere to avoid certain roads.

Hats of to Marca and you for taking up a new sport Dirt bikeing. If I took some of those roads Rhonda may have had a few words that are not allowed on the this site :rotf:

Brad

Naddie is the GPS because she keeps naddering at me to go a different route than what comes to the front of my VENTURE, although sometimes she gets it right for a turn or two, and yes there are settings, and by Carl's intervention all toll roads and super slabs are to be avoided.