IGNORED

Audio / Comm issues - 2008 RSV

BigBear

I have a pair of J&M headsets (584s I think).

Often times, when I plug in the lower cable, and turn the ignition switch to ON, I get a loud SQUEAL through the IC (no...it's not the wife)! Sometimes I get the squeal if my wife disconnects her lower before I turn the bike off.

When cruising, I have to turn the IC up to > 15 in order to hear my wife (don't say it).

Three questions:

1) Has / is anyone else expperiencing this annoying squeal?

2) What kinds of things should I check? Could it be an issue with the radio?

3) When I turn up the IC loud enough so I can hear my wife, I hear what appears to be alternator noise. Is this "normal"? Most times, the IC volume has to be 18 in order to be able to have a conversation.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've had similar issues.

The squealing is caused by a feedback loop and lack of input impedence, when using only one headset.

I find I have to lower the IC volume when using only one headset. I've gotten into a habit of starting out at level 12 and then once we're moving, increasing the level to 16 - 18. As long as both headsets are plugged in before turning on the ignition, you're fine. But if only one, it can be painful.

Yes, I hear the alternator noise also. I have also found that wearing earplugs really helps. You can still hear the headset and music, but it gets ride of the wind noise, etc.

Cheers,

Leonard

You definitely have something wrong. I ride with headset 100% of the time - lots of two-up, but the majority of miles are still solo. NEVER had a squeal of any kind. And my intercom is on and turned up 100% of the time. Usually not over 12, but in 60,000 miles, I've probably had it in all sorts of settings. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

What Lenoard describes are my exact symptoms.

Sounds like I need to take the bike back to the dealer. Bad thing is...I don't think they will have a clue on "how" to troubleshoot it. :bang head:

For those that haven't experienced the squeal, do you have any of the KTG accessories? Their stuff has ground loop isolators embedded. I don't have their component installed (yet).

I have to ask why someone would run the IC at all without a passenger? To me that would be most annoying hearing the wind/engine/everything else noise through the mic.

As for the squeal, it has happened only once on the passenger HS and that was because the mic was too close to the one of the ear pieces. This happened while the helmet was off and the boom mic had been tucked inside the helmet.

Normally I run it at 14 if I have the wife on, otherwise it's 100% off.

I have to ask why someone would run the IC at all without a passenger? To me that would be most annoying hearing the wind/engine/everything else noise through the mic.

As for the squeal, it has happened only once on the passenger HS and that was because the mic was too close to the one of the ear pieces. This happened while the helmet was off and the boom mic had been tucked inside the helmet.

Normally I run it at 14 if I have the wife on, otherwise it's 100% off.

You mean you don't practice your karaoke while riding? Not that I've ever done that.....:crackup:

I had the same problem. Would only squeal when mine was hooked up as a single. NOT FEEDBACK. Dealer tried to tell me that because he didn't want to find the problem. I finally took off the seats and there is a plug that was ever so slightly pulled apart. Pushed it back together and put some electrical tape on it and no squeal. Went 1800 miles to Sturgis and back and no squeal. Ran the IC at the same level I always had.

I don't know what KTG accessories are, but I ain't got any.

My IC is always on for several reasons. First, my wife rides with me a lot - often just down to the store or something, and I hate having to take the time to mess with the radio/IC buttons to get it turned on. I like to listen for the connection when she plugs in to know everything is working as expected. If there was just one button to push, that might be different, but no, we have to push stuff about 16 times to get it set up!

Second, as an avionics tech in the military long ago, I got very used to the hot-mic intercoms on the aircraft. The audio feedback of my own voice or clicking my tongue is an occasional and absent-minded "test" of the system. If I don't hear those sounds when wearing a headset, my brain jumps in and says something is wrong.

I do not have any problem with wind noise or engine noise in my intercom. I use a bare mic without any foam cover, and it is positioned very close to my lower lip - often just barely resting on it, which cuts of all outside sound. But inside my closed flip-front Nolan helmet there is very little noise anyway. Keeping the microphones positioned like this, very close to the lips, is the main reason why my wife and I rarely need the IC turned above 12 in any situation.

I am running J & M headsets as well and have not experienced any squealing. I also do not hear alternator noise.

I also never change the IC settings when running solo becuase I'm too lazy and I know I will be 2 up again soon.

Have you used your wife's helmet/headset/lower cord just to make sure there is not a problem on that end?

bug