IGNORED

ticking in front end

papa smurf

I don't often ride without a full face helmet and the radio blaring. The other day I grabbed my half helmet and headed out to the gas station. Therefore I have no idea if this is a new noise or not, but if i get rolling pretty good (15mph - + ), pull in the clutch close the throttle, I can hear a tapping, clicking sound in the front end.

I got back home and had my wife help me look for nails... nuttin. calibers are good and tight, bike only has like 3K miles on it.

I need to get it up on a lift and spin the tire, bottom line. I don't have the means to order one of Carbon1's lift adaptors at this time. Is there anything I can do with 2x4's or anything in the meantime until i can get an adaptor ordered from Carbon1?

additional info: the ticking sound seems to be in synch with the tire rotation... speeds up and slows down with the speed of the tire rotation.

Edited by papa smurf
additional info:

Not sure what you ride but my 1st edition had the same clicking noise that was also sychronized with the front tire rotation. After a lot of snooping around I finally discovered that when I applied the front brake, the clicking stopped and reappeared once the front brake was released. If my memory is working, on mine it was the right side pads or the front caliper/pads activated by the handlebar mounted front brake. Even though the front pads were fairly new, I replaced that set again and the issue was resolved. Not sure if this is your problem but thought I'd relay it on. Can't figure out what was going on there, perhaps a faulty pad, who knows.

Good luck.

I appreciate that. and I'll definately check that out. should be pretty easy to rule out, i wish i'd thought of that yesterday when i was actually out on the bike listening to it. by the way it's an 08 rsv.

and thanks again for the suggestion.

Is is a consistent ticking? Or intermittent? Reason I ask is I have had a rattle in the front end of my 99 since I got it 20 months ago. I stopped many times and tried to find it. Drove me crazy, it was associated with speed, but was not there all the time I was moving. Never heard it while using a 3/4 helmet, only my half. Anyway as it turns out when muffinman was over last night he was able to help me discover that it was the radiator fan causing the noise. I was pretty sure that it wasn't anything serious since the bike is still running after me putting 37,000 miles on it. It's nice to know what the noise is though.

No offense meant to mamma......but, I'd park the bike in the driveway, look for a small stone lodged in the tread of the front tire...roll the bike forward two or three feet, then check again......and so on, until the entire circumference of the front tire has been checked for "implants".

In my experience, that's the cheapest, likeliest, easiest to remedy problem you might be having.......especially on a brand new ride.

Good luck......and be SURE to not tell mamma I said to check it yourself!!

Mike

additional info: the ticking sound seems to be in synch with the tire rotation... speeds up and slows down with the speed of the tire rotation.

It was a dragging brake on the right side. The front wheel/tire was very hard to turn when the weight was off the front. Remove the left caliper first and it was still hard to turn.

Removed the right caliper, took out the pads and expanded the pistons with the lever. Only 2 of the 4 moved. Used compressed air (be careful!) to remove pistons, cleaned pistons and cylinders with very fine emery cloth. Reinstalled, rebled system, test ride, noise gone! :thumbsup:

Guest FFMCPres

I was kind of hanging out waiting for a resolution to this since I had the same problem...but here, it was just that I forgot to take the clothespin and baseball card off of the brake line!

:innocent-emoticon:

I don't often ride without a full face helmet and the radio blaring. The other day I grabbed my half helmet and headed out to the gas station. Therefore I have no idea if this is a new noise or not, but if i get rolling pretty good (15mph - + ), pull in the clutch close the throttle, I can hear a tapping, clicking sound in the front end.

I got back home and had my wife help me look for nails... nuttin. calibers are good and tight, bike only has like 3K miles on it.

I need to get it up on a lift and spin the tire, bottom line. I don't have the means to order one of Carbon1's lift adaptors at this time. Is there anything I can do with 2x4's or anything in the meantime until i can get an adaptor ordered from Carbon1?

KELLY!

what did you expect from a new bike?

i mean AFTER ALL, it IS a 2nd gen.

we all know that they are inferior, to a first class, ---er first gen!:fiddle:

lol:crackup::crackup:

just jt

It's nice to know we have a "mature" audience here who knows what the heck you mean by that!!

I was kind of hanging out waiting for a resolution to this since I had the same problem...but here, it was just that I forgot to take the clothespin and baseball card off of the brake line!

:innocent-emoticon: