IGNORED

Synthetic oil / engine ticking ???

Sterling Turner

Thought I would run this by some of you... I just did an oil change and decided to switch to Amsoil 20W-50 and new filter. Started it and Drove it about 3 miles, shut it off and it set for a little while, when I restarted it, the engine started tapping (like valve noise). No engine oil light came on, but noise went away after about 30 seconds... Oil level was at the top of the fill mark (with engine off).

Never did this with Dino oil, just wondered what caused it to start the loud ticking noise.... Sounded like it was coming more from the front of the engine. It did do it again, but not as loud and not as long.... anyone ever experienced this happening to them ? :think:

I tried synthetic once, and I went from an engine that was nice and quiet to an engine that chirped and screamed. The wife even noticed it and asked what in the world I had done to my bike now. I had done nothing but change to this synthetic oil that everyone raves about. The stuff is so expensive that I was going to get my use out of it. I ran it its full course, and it screamed at me the whole time. Went back to regular dino oil at the next oil change, and went back to a nice quiet engine. I will never run synthetic again in anything.

I've always used 20/50 Castrol. N ever had a oil related problem. This New to Me 85 only has 20k on it so it has me thinking the oil thing again.Which way to go? It is still 23 yrs old. Only about 870 miles a yr. It has Yamalube in it now. Which way to go??

Well Folks, I just got back from the Yamaha dealer (had new Avons put on), and when I started it to leave, it had that ticking for about 10 seconds... One of the guys from the service shop was standing beside it, so I asked what could be causing it (telling him that I just changed to this synthetic oil and it hadn't made this noise before that)... He said it was because I went to a thicker oil (20w-50) and that he felt it was my hydraulic lifters taking longer to pump up and adjust .... Maybe so, I don't know... He said not to worry unless it got worse or ticked longer ?????

Well Folks, I just got back from the Yamaha dealer (had new Avons put on), and when I started it to leave, it had that ticking for about 10 seconds... One of the guys from the service shop was standing beside it, so I asked what could be causing it (telling him that I just changed to this synthetic oil and it hadn't made this noise before that)... He said it was because I went to a thicker oil (20w-50) and that he felt it was my hydraulic lifters taking longer to pump up and adjust ...

kinda scarey when the service dept guys think a Venture has hydraulic lifters....

Guest tx2sturgis
kinda scarey when the service dept guys think a Venture has hydraulic lifters....

I read that and I said 'huh'?

Maybe the guy was an old Harley tech...who knows.

Charlie at my dealership told me that you should not run synthetic oil in the Royal Stars because of the wet clutch. Supposedly the synthetic oil is slicker than dino oil and will make the clutch slip. I have been running 10w-40 dino oil with no problems.

Dave, aka the "Chubby Ape":cool10:

I just purchased an 02 royal star 2 weeks ago and changed oil and filter. I've used amsoil 10w40 in my other bikes with great success. I put the venture on the amsoil as well and the motor seemed quieter to me and even shifted smoother as it did on my other bikes. Alot of guys that I talked to over the last 2 years or so have switched from dino to amsoil and have reported the same things. I'm an inspection mechanic so I get to talk to alot of riders throughout the year and I have'nt heard anything negative about sythetics, just my observations. My wife and I just got back from a 7 hr. trip to Niagra falls last week and the bike performed flawlessly.

I asked about puting synthitic in mine when I bought it and they told me not till after the 2nd oil change as the engine needs to break in before I do. That being said has anyone used any of the Lucas oil additive in there bike or is that a no no? I use it in all my cars and they run alot smoother and quieter. :7_2_104[1]:

Been running Amsoil 20/50 since 5000 miles no problems at all...Either one,Amsoil or Mobil1 are great synthetics..took many years to sell me on synthetics but thats all I use now.If you are going to change oil at 3-4000 mile intervals might as well use Dino oil unless you are like me and just like the synthetics.

I'm not familiar with putting lucas in bikes. I have used their oil supplement to quiet noisy lifters in high mileage cars and it works. I believe lucas just came out with a motorcycle oil, so I guess they are trying to get involed in that market as well. I know quite a few harly riders that use amsoil 20w50 in their bikes and have stated basically the same findings that I have found. My wife has a honda shadow aero and at times she had problems getting the shifter to go in to 5th gear with the dino oil in it. I changed it over to amsoil with a new filter and within 5 miles it shifted alot better. I didn't tell her what I did I let her comment on how the bike shifted. I've been using amsoil for over 2 riding seasons with no problems. Along with her honda, I also have a kawasaki 1500 classic and the latest toy the venture. I can only state what has worked for me and my success...

I asked about puting synthitic in mine when I bought it and they told me not till after the 2nd oil change as the engine needs to break in before I do. That being said has anyone used any of the Lucas oil additive in there bike or is that a no no? I use it in all my cars and they run alot smoother and quieter. :7_2_104[1]:

I use Lucas in bikes all the time and love the results, I have had increased compression and better fuel mileage and have not had any clutch isuses. I use it with castrol 20/50 and get 42 mpg hiway running 70mph. I will continue to use lucas treatment but the 7 bucks a qt for non syn "motorcycle" I dont think so.

I would not put any oil additives in a wet clutch system.

I have used Castrol GTX 20/50 in my motorcycles for the last 20 years...I add about 1/3 of a can of STP every time I change oil which is at 2000 mi....I have NEVER had engine or transmission oil related problems...I'm convinced the tranny shifts smoother with the STP in the oil then without....

I tried Amsoil 20W-50 MC oil last year because my Amsoil guy got it by mistake (instead of the 10W-40 I normally use), and I needed to change oil before a long trip and didn't have time to wait. I put it in and ran it for about 7,000 miles and that was several thousand miles ago...no discernable problem (although, it puzzles me how you'd know you had an oil problem unless the engine locked up or something).

Anyway, my '07 RSV has always made the "tick" when it's cold, and it's usually gone in about 30 seconds or so. With the heavier oil, it lasted a little longer, but still went away as the oil got circulating. Contrary to what some have said, I think RSV engines have hydraulic lifters...and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong....but that would account for the "tick" as the pressure in the lifters come up. Wouldn't it?

Contrary to what some have said, I think RSV engines have hydraulic lifters...and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong....but that would account for the "tick" as the pressure in the lifters come up. Wouldn't it?

The Venture V4 since it was introduced in 1983 till present uses a shim over bucket system, so there is no hydraulic lifter, a slight amount of clearance measured and set by installing different shims when the engine is cold. The cam lobe acts directly on the shim/bucket to operate the valves.

Only ever used 20W-50 and never synthetics and also never had any problems.

Just not sold on Synthetics, expecially on a new engine, older engine maybe. True believer of letting them break in by running them hard, as per the piston ring manufacturers advise.

Brad

Yamaha has hydraulic timing chain tensioners like the Ford Crown Vic. When we change the oil in the Crown Vic (POLICE)they make a ticking noise until the oil reaches the tensioners then the noise goes away. The tensioners have a safety lock so if you loose oil pressure or run low on oil the tensioners will not allow the timing chain to fly off, but will allow it some slack and make the ticking sound....

So the ticking sound on the Yamaha maybe the tensioners waiting for oil. So using thicker oil will allow the ticking sound to stay longer untill the tensioners are pumped up.

Also on the Crown Vic if the oil feed hole for the tensioners gets dirty or plugged it will cause the ticking sound, easy fix on the Crown Vic is to remove the valve covers and remove the end cap on the cam and clean out the oil feed hole, reinstall the parts and the noise is gone...

Amsoil oil - Gold Wing 3,856mi 10w40, Venture 79,928mi 20w50 no problems at all, change oil every 8,000mi. Venture had Castrol 20w50 which was OK for 3,000mi changes, went back to Amsoil 20w50, gears shift better now and I can go twice as long on oil change... 8,000mi

Mobil 1 5w30 - Peg's 2003 Monte Carlo 65,254mi no problems. oil change every 10,000mi uses no oil.

Valvoline 10w40 - 1994 Ford F150 4X4 221,389mi every 3,000mi uses no oil.

As long you do your maintenance on your car - truck - motorcycle you will be just fine on any brand of oil or syn. oil

MAINTENANCE.........is the key...........

You will get different reply as for what type of oil to use. But if you do no maintenance on your motorcycle , So No matter what oil you use your going to have trouble down the road sooner or later.......

OK I talked to much I'm going to bed 5:30am is coming soon......

Buddy

Here's my :2cents:, The oil filter has a check valve inside to keep the oil from draining back into the sump when the engine is off. Full filter and oil lines = no valve noise. When the oil drains back to the sump it is going to take a few seconds to fill the system again. I have noticed that this quirk is worse when you stray from the Yamaha filter. I am in the habit of opening all my filters after an oil change and you would be surprised in the difference of the construction of the valve and media. Yamaha uses a plastic foam type media, not paper and a much better looking check valve than some of the others.

Just did an oil change to the new Yamalube 20-50 Does not help this problem but seems helps the clutch wine some.

PS. can't believe Yamalube isn't in the spell check:think:

Guest Dandy1

I run Amsoil 20W50 in my 06 RSV for 15K miles now. I have noticed the same ticking you are talking about after the bike sets for a while (30 minutes or so). The thing is it did it before I switched to synthetic oil. It does shift smoother too.

• 10 months later...

I use it in everything.. Mower j.d, suz. Boulevard, car and truck which is only once a year... Never a problem with any of them and they are all 10 yrs or older. Except suz. And venture. Quiet and smooth.. P.s my keyboard is stuck on cap locks..lol