IGNORED

Front brake problem with 86 Venture

Today I found that the left side caliper is getting absolutely no hydraulic pressure when the brake lever is pulled. First I thought it was a corroded bleeder so I took it out. Still no fluid. I then undid the banjo bolt from the brake house and still no pressure. Far as I went today. Looks like I either have a collapsed brake line or a T fitting that is blocked.

In any event, are aftermarket steel braided lines available for a 86 Venture? Also,,,, anyone ever have this happen? No inherent weirdness that plaques these front braking systems are there?

Judd,

Lee is correct it is a linked brake system, the front lever is only for the right front caliper. The rear brake petal controls the left front and the rear calipers. Buckeye performance makes SS brake lines for the 1st gens, and it is an excellent upgrade. he's one of our vendors here in the vedors section.

There are lots of threads on cleaning and maintenance of the brake systems on the 1st gen. The rear reservior and master cylinder can become choked full of old fluid that starts to gel inside it and really makes a mess of the brakes. if you havenm't changed and cleaned the brake fluid out...it would be time for that.

If you run into trouble just ask questions, PM me if you like or give a call, my # is in my profile....we'll get you rolling again.

Judd,

Lee is correct it is a linked brake system, the front lever is only for the right front caliper. The rear brake petal controls the left front and the rear calipers. Buckeye performance makes SS brake lines for the 1st gens, and it is an excellent upgrade. he's one of our vendors here in the vedors section.

He had recently posted, that all the SS Braided line kits are on sale too.........:thumbsup2::mo money:

Thanks do appreciate the info. Didn't even know the brakes were linked!!!! That explains everything I do think. :8:

Side note though,,,, has anyone ever segregated the front and rear then combined the two fronts?

Side note though,,,, has anyone ever segregated the front and rear then combined the two fronts?

It has been done, Go to the search bar at the top of the page and type it in. I believe that you will have to change the front master cylinder to get good pressure as you would then be running 2 calipers.

It has been done, Go to the search bar at the top of the page and type it in. I believe that you will have to change the front master cylinder to get good pressure as you would then be running 2 calipers.

V-Max master prolly work.

In any event, sounds like too much fiddling and while I love "fiddling" with stuff I have too many things to "fiddle" with at the time so I'll leave it stock. Am gonna go out there and swap the EBCs back out for the pads that were on it so I'll have those EBCs for the right front the next time they need replacing.:doh::o

Thanks do appreciate the info. Didn't even know the brakes were linked!!!! That explains everything I do think. :8:

Yes, I did, not that hard. I left the rear proportioning valve on plugged the front outlet on the porportioning valve with a bolt. Removed the brake line and metering valve to the front. I also used Yamaha R6 front brake calipers and I used a GSXR 600 Suzuki master cylinder to power the brakes ran a double banjo bolt off the master. In hindsight I think I should have used a tee fitting instead of the double banjo bolt off the main, This is because of the limited space between the dash and the handlebars I have on my bike which are Kawasaki Voyager Handelbars. I also had to measure up for new brake lines which I used plastic coated SS Lines. I also used EBC HH pads on the R6 calipers. Stops better then it did stock with linking. I am going to try switching the position of the rear brake on the proportioning valve to see if I can get more stopping power out of the rear w/o locking up the rear brake. I love fiddling myself. :stirthepot:

Edited by CrazyHorse

I delinked the Brakes of my '93 and mounted R6/R1 Calipers. The stock 14 mm Mastercylinder feeds both front Calipers just fine. I used SS Brake Lines with a T from a Vmax. I also mounted a R1 Caliper on the rear, and this big M/C on the rear leaves Room for Improvement, just like Jimbob mentioned. I dismounted the the Proportioning Valve without any major Upgrade. Changing the Port involved will not make any Difference. I will mount a Vmax M/C the next Winter.

Bob, i mounted a 4-Piston R1 front Caliper on the rear of my Venture. The stock R1 rear Caliper is a 1-Piston floating Caliper and good for the small 240mm Rotor but not for our heavy Bikes.

The rear Brake with the 4-Piston Caliper is ok for me, but there is Room for Improvement left. I'm not sure if i need to bleed the Line a second Time or if the Master has too much of Displacement but there will be more to investigate.

See, i don't take much use of the rear Brake and frankly, as long as there's any Kind of Deceleration, it's fine for me.