I am also running the Kriss headlight modulator. Have been for seeralo years now, and man has the price gone up sine I put mine in.

They currently have the signle lamp modulator in their close out section for $59.00....... That one will fork for you........

the first gen has a feature if a low beam burn out the hight beam take over, i just though that this might be a problem thats for the response. is there a difference in the Kriss and Kisan?

The modulator comes with a photo light sensor that causes it to stop flashing after dark so your high beam will work normally even if the low beam goes out.

• 5 months later...
the first gen has a feature if a low beam burn out the hight beam take over, i just though that this might be a problem thats for the response. is there a difference in the Kriss and Kisan?

I have recently tried the single bulb version of this setup, on my 83 VR http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/headlight-modulator/dual-modulator.htm & found that the bike thinks high beam is burnt out.

i use the strobe sys. that randya uses , autozone 14.95 . 2 small strobes in the head lite bucket , draws very little power , i also use a small sw. with a blue lite in it , mounted on the key bizal , when it starts to get dark the windshield turns blue never forgot to turn it off . i have stopped using my driving lite and high beams during the day ,don't have to charge bat. as much anymore . the local leo's even like it !

Thanks rocket, I still havnt tried one yet here

Snag one Mike. You'll be amazed how much attention you'll get.

If you hook it up as per instructions, you'll find that low beam works normally and the modulator works on high beam so it's easy to turn off. Mine is adjusted so it quits working just before dusk. The only drawback is it somehow convinces the computer that high beam is out and lights up the warning on the dash when it is working. At first I thought I would try to figger out how to disable the warning, but after a little thinking and seeing how the sensor works (warning goes out at dusk) I think I like knowing when it is working or not.

My 2cents.

DJ

BTW, I got the Kriss on special and love it.

I have the Signal Dynamics modulator. It causes the headlamp safety feature to display an error message on your computer. I found it annoying and disconnected it. I then mounted the modulator to my driving lights and acitivated them with a regular switch. I did not connect my driving lights to any low beam or high beam switch I dont care for that I wanted more control ( I know some states its not technically legal.). I had a switch just for them, used its own relay and ran them that way. They blink during the day like emergency flashers because my lights have a yellowish tint to them and at night they run just like regular driving lights. Now I dont know if the blinking will confuse some drivers if I put my turn signals on (which it may) but I figure they will freeze as if I would go straight. But if you still want to hook it up I saw a neat idea a guy came up with. Instead of cutting your headlamp wires you buy another lamp socket at the auto parts store. You then wire it by putting blades on your modulator wires into the regular lamp socket and run it from there. Thereby not damaging your origianl setup if you want to take it off.

Have you had any problems with the police here? These are illegal in Ontario.

Mike,

These are definitely LEGAL in Ontario and I've got a print out of the law to prove it. I tried to find the link for you but I can't put my finger on it right now.

To answer your question though, yes, I have been pulled over twice in the same small town, (local L.E.O.s)on the same day, ten minutes apart. I showed the copy of the law to the cops each time and they let me go. I've never had a problem with the O.P.P. or any others.

i use the strobe sys. that randya uses , autozone 14.95 . 2 small strobes in the head lite bucket , draws very little power , i also use a small sw. with a blue lite in it , mounted on the key bizal , when it starts to get dark the windshield turns blue never forgot to turn it off . i have stopped using my driving lite and high beams during the day ,don't have to charge bat. as much anymore . the local leo's even like it !

Thom i didnt see anything from Randya on this do you have any more info on theese storbes or a link? also you mentioned a small SW what is this and why would your window turn blue?:confused24: sounds cool i think id like a blue window :thumbsup2:

the strobe i used in the headlite is from autozone - pilot ip-400 14.95 and for the brakes pilot - wi-101w . 24.95

maybe you can see 1 of the strobes in the bottom left side , it is hard to see . the control box is stored behind the headlite . i just drilled 2 holes in the bottom of the headlite bucket and glued the strobes in with clear r t v . for the brake lites i removed 1 bulb form 2 of my running lites and put a strobe in it place , the strobe comes with sticky tape on the back , just peel and stick , the last 2 i stuck under the to tail lite bulbs in the tail lite . by the way these lites are all randya,s fault:rasberry: i do not take the blame i just copyed his :confused24:but for the money saved , i got my new bars and a lot more stuff:cool10: less than 50 bucks for front and brake strobes :cool10: :cool10::cool10:

That strobe setup is cool. If I'm not mistaken, the windshield turns blue because the blue light from the switch transmits into the windshield, and some of that light travels through the plastic (like in a waveguide) to the edges which then glow blue. I had a similar phenomenon in a shield I added to my Virago. It was picking up light from the headlamp on the lower edge and making the whole edge glow, only noticable at night. Very distracting. I installed a headlight visor which isloated the offending edge and it fixed the problem.

Jeremy

We had this discussion some time ago on here. What you're showing is the FEDERAL standard. Ontario had banned them (unless they've changed) as they are reserved for emergency service vehicle only. I'm trying to find the MTO documents but it's not obvious. I'll hunt some more.

I did find this:

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

Exception

(7.1) Clause (7) (a) does not apply if the lamps are of the prescribed type or meet the prescribed standards. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

I've asked the MTO for a response. We'll see what they say. This is probably like the MMP referendum.. no one knew what the hell is the truth.

Is there a lawyer in the house? Maybe Reinyrooster knows, he's a prosecutor.

Guest ReinyRooster

Well I can't say that I 've had to deal with this issue in court, hasn't come up yet but from what I've read on the subject, the headlight modulator is O.K. in Ontario. There are definitely rules against having any other colour lights flashing ( referring mainly to tail and brake lights) but nothing about the headlights.

• 2 weeks later...

Spud,

While they don't specifically use the word modulate, I do believe that Sect 63: 7(b) answers your question.

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (

(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

The modulator works by rapid cycling of a resistor which momentarily drops the intensity of the lamp.