IGNORED

Carb Synch tool, homemade

Gained

From a former article & thread; someone needs to properly claim the work, as I didn't save any names. Sorry. EDB

I thought I'd share the Carb Synch Tool that I made for about $15.00. It uses 3/16 inch ID Vinyl tubing mounted to a board with coaxial antenna lead fasteners and is held upright by a tamping tool. It is charged with Transmission Fluid so that both lines are level with each other. Works just fine and is CHEAP to build.

Those are two separate pieces of 3/16 inch ID vinyl tubing that I bought at a hardware store. I made the loops at the bottom as gentle as I could to prevent pinching. The ends of one hose connects to Carbs 1 & 2 and the other hose connects to carbs 3 & 4. I synch carb 1 to 2 while reading that hose, then 4 to 3 while reading the other hose, then carb 2 to 3 while reading those hoses. There is minimal pulsation (bounce).

it is about 4 feet tall.

The first time I tried it I used it on my Virago and the Synch was so far off that I had to keep killing the engine before the fluid was sucked into the carbs. I was finally able to get the Synch screw adjusted enough so that I could let the bike keep running while I finished the Synching.

if a pair of carbs are so out of balance to each other, that one of them could initially try to suck the fluid out, so you would have to quickly kill the engine and make an adjustment, and then restart the engine to see if the adjustment helped or worsened the condition. The start-kill-adjust sequence may have to be repeated several times before you can let the engine stay running while you fine-tune the balance.

Boilerman said that the hose he used for one loop was about 20'. After using 8' (4' x 2) for the board, that leaves 12' (6' on each end) to connect to the bike. About 2 1/2' gets it from the top of the board down to the carb level, then another 1 1/2' to the carb on the other side of the bike.

I was happy to see your design for the carb synch tool! I work for a hospital. On my area of the hospital, they throw away oxygen hose all the time. A lot of it is 25 feet long. I took a walking stick I have, taped up the oxygen hose, which to my delight is 3/16 ID and filled about two feet of the hose with motor oil. It took a while to get all the bubbles out, but I had a slow pulling fluid that was easy to work with. I synched 1 and 2, then had a shock to see that 3 and 4 were so out compared to 2. I am slow, so it took me over an hour to get it all synched. Now the bike starts quickly and doesn't sound like a Cushman Scooter! THANK YOU for the picture example so I could copy the method. I will be reverting my walking stick back to it's original use! The money I saved helps me to afford the reason I bought the bike. I figure I have saved myself over 500 dollars with everything I have gleaned from this site in only 2 weeks.

Okay I know I where glasses but these are for seeing distance and I do not wear bifocals.

But where is the last screw for syncing cylinders 2 to 3. I found the others two but not this one.

Do you have to lift the tank to get at it. ?

I tried taking the rubber hoses off the other night to start this job but they are stuck on big time, so I would assume this has not been done in a while or at all. (looking forward to seeing the readings).

Watched Don sync a 2nd Gen last year at Vogel and you don't have to remove anything. Screw is a little hard to locate. The left rear carb is # 1 Left front is #2 Right rear is #3 Right front is#4 as you are sitting on bike. Between 1 and 2 there is only one screw. You adjust these two first and then adjust 3 and 4 to them. So there are only three screws. I think it is kind of up under the edge of the tank. You have to bend over quite a bit to see it.

I assume you found the one on the left side near the choke knob.

The other two ore accessed from the right side. One is easy to get at between the two right side carbs (approximately the same location as the one on the left side). The last one is between the left two carbs, but points to the right. You need a LONG Phillips screwdriver to reach it from the right side. You will probably need to poke the screwdriver through the carb linkages just under the tank edge to get the right angle.

The screw for 1 & 2 you need a long phillips screwdriver and acess from right side. 3 & 4 is also a phillips and is right between the carbs on right side of bike. The screw to sync left carbs to right carbs is just above the choke on left side and is a Slotted screw.

Not an ice pick, but a flat blade screwdriver with a very thin head. Get the screwdriver between the end of the hose and the carb, and PUSH the hose.

Which screw can't you find? Did you find the one that you get to from the left side, up above the choke knob? It has a hex head, with a slot for a flat blade screwdriver. The head is pointed down slightly, so you have to get your head below the level of the choke knob and look up. It's the only slotted hex head screw in that area. It syncs the left side to the right side. Or if you like, it syncs #1 and #2, to #3 and #4.

• 1 month later...

I tried this method.... my were soo far off that it kept sucking the fuild out of the tubes...and it takes forever to get the fuild back into the tubes. So cuz

I am cheap I kept looking for a good way to do it without spending the $$$.

I found this site and instructions.

http://faq.ninja250.org/index.php/Is_there_a_carb_sync_tool%3F

It works great, took me some time to get them synced but I did. Had to do 1 and 2..then 3 and 4 and then the last two.

The total rig only cost me about $15 and I got a couple of ice teas to drink for the bottles.

Thought someone might find this useful.

:cool10:

• 10 months later...
I tried this method.... my were soo far off that it kept sucking the fuild out of the tubes...and it takes forever to get the fuild back into the tubes. So cuz

I am cheap I kept looking for a good way to do it without spending the $$$.

I found this site and instructions.

http://faq.ninja250.org/index.php/Is_there_a_carb_sync_tool%3F

It works great, took me some time to get them synced but I did. Had to do 1 and 2..then 3 and 4 and then the last two.

The total rig only cost me about $15 and I got a couple of ice teas to drink for the bottles.

Thought someone might find this useful.

:cool10:

I made one of these too, but didn't buy anything! clear medical tubing, got clean unused from the trash at work, Used two long neck michelob light bottles, just had to remove the liquid first. :beer: I didn't bother with rubber stoppers, I just used an old tube of clear silicon RTV rhat was in my garage to fill the bottle openings and seal around the tubes. After the RTV had set, I siphoned in about 10 oz of water mixed with three drops of blue food coloring.The homade toolworked so well that that old worn out bike will lift the front tire in 2nd gear