IGNORED

Brake rotors

VegasVic

Not a valid test. Some stainless is magnetic. Some of the stainless pieces on this bike are magnetic. The front brake caliper covers on my bike are magnetic, and I know for a fact they're stainless. I don't know about the brake rotors though. I would guess not. I'm sure I've seen rust spots on them after a rain, but it's possible it could have been just water spot dirt. The center sections have paint on them. I don't know why Y would have gone to the expense of painting them if they were stainless.

Hi Vic,

The Stock rotors on most all of the Yammies is heat treated cast steel which provides excellent wear under "normal" breaking conditions. A brake/rotor upgrade would put you into oversized piston calipers and SS rotors to the tune of $1500.00. So unless you like to go REALLY fast and stop REALLY quickly, The cintered brake pads would work just fine for you IMHO. It is the Nickel content of the SS that determins weather it is magnitic or not. More nickel, less magnatism. On my first gen. I figure it's easier/cheaper to replace the pads more often then the rotors, what with the lack of availability of the stock rotors for my particular bike. I'm all for a little extra stopping power but the first time you have to shell out to replace a set of front rotors on your RSV because you overheated them you might find yourself doing what I do, laying back a bit and being a bit easy on the brakes. If your 800+ lb. motorcycle is sliding, you are out of control in my book. I'm SURE some of the other riders here on the site with a more aggressive riding style will sound off but frankly if I wanted to power brake my bike onto the front wheel or lock the front brakes and do burn-outs I'd ride an R1! Maybe I'm getting old!

Just my thoughts on this subject.

Ride Safe,

Earl