IGNORED

Lurker coming out into the open, tech question............

Guest pipsdad

Guest pipsdad

I cannot get any pressure for the rear master cylinder. I rebuilt it, and suspect that the problem lies in the proportioning valve. I can get one new for about 150 online. My question would be, does anyone know what years this part was the same. Our bike is an 84. Or if not, at least an OEM part number, all the sites i find only give a SKU number.

More than likely you still have air in the system you may have a problem with the proportioning valve but it won't cause the problem you are describing. make sure you bleed the whole system if it still won't build pressure its probably in the master cylinder.

It can be a bear to get it all full of fluid again, I have done those many times. Make sure that your bleeding from the bleeder up by the steering head too as the brakes are linked. Persistance is the key to doing it, I also use the Valvoline Synthetic blend for DOT 3 & 4

Don't buy the valve - it is just a real PITA to bleed. On my '84 I used a new trigger-pump oil can to fill the rear master. Bleed at the union (no bleeder) at the steering stem, the high point in the system. Cover everything and be prepared to clean up any spills right away.

Once a little juice flows out of that union, apply pressure to the brake pedal and crack open the rear brake line where the valve attaches to the master cylinder. You'll get air. Keep cracking it until the spitting (air) stops. Then work your way back to the rear caliper until it is flowing out without any air.

Keep pumping in the brake fluid. If it goes dry you have to start over!

Go back to the steering stem and crack that open with pressure on the pedal until the air stops. Then move to the left front caliper, and bleed there. Then bleed the left anti-dive if you have it. You might do it at the steering-head union and all bleeders once more to be sure all the air is out.

This takes forever, you go through a lot of fluid, so be patient and have a helper handy. Maybe beer. Keep filling the reservoir. I surround the unions and line junctions with paper towels to catch the juice, as it will destroy paint. I immediately hose and rub off any spills. I use a couple of feet of clear tubing fitting tightly over the nipples to divert the fluid into a pan. You will get the pedal back, probably better than it was before. This is my least-favorite Venture task, but when you're done, you'll be happy.

Endo

Don't buy the valve - it is just a real PITA to bleed. On my '84 I used a new trigger-pump oil can to fill the rear master. Bleed at the union (no bleeder) at the steering stem, the high point in the system. Cover everything and be prepared to clean up any spills right away.

Once a little juice flows out of that union, apply pressure to the brake pedal and crack open the rear brake line where the valve attaches to the master cylinder. You'll get air. Keep cracking it until the spitting (air) stops. Then work your way back to the rear caliper until it is flowing out without any air.

Keep pumping in the brake fluid. If it goes dry you have to start over!

Go back to the steering stem and crack that open with pressure on the pedal until the air stops. Then move to the left front caliper, and bleed there. Then bleed the left anti-dive if you have it. You might do it at the steering-head union and all bleeders once more to be sure all the air is out.

This takes forever, you go through a lot of fluid, so be patient and have a helper handy. Maybe beer. Keep filling the reservoir. I surround the unions and line junctions with paper towels to catch the juice, as it will destroy paint. I immediately hose and rub off any spills. I use a couple of feet of clear tubing fitting tightly over the nipples to divert the fluid into a pan. You will get the pedal back, probably better than it was before. This is my least-favorite Venture task, but when you're done, you'll be happy.

Endo

The reservoir he's talking about is the brake but feel free to fill the stomach reservoir with beer as well:nanner: