Has anyone experienced a knocking sound that seems to be coming from the water pump? I can't imagine what could be causing the knocking noise that seems to be more noticeable at idle and slightly above idle. Doesn't seem to be the clutch cause the knocking doesn't change with the clutch engaged or not. The clutch does make some noise when not engaged. The knocking sounds it definately coming from the water pump. The bike is an 88 VR and does not overheat even on the hotest Texas days. Any advise from anyone would be most welcome.

Thanks

Masterguns

Get a repair kit, new mechanical seal, (Ebay both )and a rear cover gasket first, otherwise the bike will be down 1-2 weeks waiting for these parts. There is not much under the either water pump covers (2). Had mine off 3 times fixing leaks. Bad impellor, bad drive gear, loose gear pin or some foreign object. But I would do it soon. Change the antifreeze at the same time.

I get that noise too... but it doesn't happen all the time... seems to happen most when I've been riding it hard and only is noticeable at idle... I had the same thing on my '85...on it I rebuilt the water pump...made no difference. I've also noticed that when the oil gets below the half-way mark on the sight glass, the noise doesn't happen so... I've deduced that it's not really the water pump (although it sounds like it) but something else (clutch maybe) that is close by and the sound emulates near the water pump and is dependant on how much oil is or isn't in the bike.

So, in my case, I just ignore it...chalk it up to one of those "peculiar" 1st gen sounds.

:think:

ps, I've been riding this scoot now for 3 summers with that noise so IMHO, it ain't nuthin to worry about.\

Have you gutted the exhaust collector yet? I thought for sure the knocking noise I was hearing was coming from the bottom end of the engine. I swapped in another engine and the noise was still there. I gutted the collector and the knock went away. I could have kicked myself:buttkick:.

Have you gutted the exhaust collector yet? I thought for sure the knocking noise I was hearing was coming from the bottom end of the engine. I swapped in another engine and the noise was still there. I gutted the collector and the knock went away. I could have kicked myself:buttkick:.

LOL!! well, in my case, it isn't the collector coz I put a new one on my '85 and on this scoot, I've gutted the collector.

For all of you that may be curious as to what was or may had been causing my waterpump knocking noise. I followed the easiest guidance first and re-syncronized the carbs using my carb tune purchased not long ago from some gent in England. I am really surprised at the results. Number 1 and 2 was way off, reset all four and the knocking is gone. Rode the hell out of it yesterday in over 105 degree N. Texas weather and the noise has not returned. Go figure. Thanks for all the input. Now on to the battery cable and fuse block upgrade.

masterguns