IGNORED

Professor Stebel saved my bacon

FreezyRider

About 2 weeks ago, I installed a Stebel air horn on my 1500 Goldwing. Wasn't easy....the only place I could find to install it was inside the fairing, right in front of the left side pocket. That location presented some challenges in getting it properly secured so it wouldn't rattle around, and in getting the wiring properly run to it. Took a couple of hours, but finally got it done.

Yesterday on my way home from work, I had my first opportunity to use it in an emergency situation. I had just turned off of the main highway in front of my place of employment onto a county road lined with houses and driveways. I was accelerating when I noticed a black SUV ahead of me which was turning into a driveway on my right hand side. At that point it was probably 100 yards ahead. I was closing fast since I was in acceleration mode. Good thing I was also in "observation mode", because the driver of the SUV was NOT in observation mode. He swung into the driveway, threw the SUV into reverse and gunned it, planning on backing out onto the road in order to turn around. As soon as I saw the vehicle start to move in reverse, I swung to the left lane (no oncoming traffic, PTL) and activated the Stebel horn. What happened next had me laughing for the next mile or so.....the driver of the SUV, convinced that he had mistakenly turned onto a railroad track and that a 100-car locomotive was bearing down on his unobservant arse, stood on the brakes in record-setting time, then threw it into drive and hit the gas. As I passed his rear bumper, I gave him the obligatory "what the heck are you doing?" glare and continued on my way. Watching in my rear view mirror, the chuckles began. He sat there in that driveway for at least 10 seconds before beginning to slowly and carefully back onto the road again. I'm sure that he checked both ways about 10 times before his second attempt....or maybe he was just trying to get his heart rate back to normal before proceeding.

Thank you Professor Stebel for the "always-look-both-ways" lesson that you taught an unobservant driver yesterday! The $50 for the horn and the 2 hour installation was some of the best time/money ever spent on my bike. If I would have just had my wimpy stock horns, my Wing would either be stuck into the passenger door of an SUV right now, or would have hit the side ditch pretty hard. Wouldn't want either option.

If you've never heard a Stebel, believe me it is LOUD! Every rider should consider adding this safety device to his/her bike.

LOUD HORNS SAVE LIVES!!!!

:322:

I honestly believe that if I had not put air horns on my bike about 10 years ago, I would not be sitting here right now. I have had several incidents of drivers obviously commited to take my space that the loud air horns stopped them.

Thanks for the great post freezy and I hope this causes at LEAST one rider to go with air horns.

RandyA

I love a happy ending

:bawling: I had one pull out in front of me while I was headed to work this morning at about 60 mph. I didn't even have time to get on the horn as I was swerving to avoid him. I let him know he was # 1 and he stayed WAY behind me.

I love a happy ending

:bawling: I had one pull out in front of me while I was headed to work this morning at about 60 mph. I didn't even have time to get on the horn as I was swerving to avoid him. I let him know he was # 1 and he stayed WAY behind me.

I find myself riding more and more with my left thumb covering the horn button. Idiots are getting way too numerous!

I have been thinking about getting one. I guess you just made up my mind for me. Glad it worked out well for you.

Great! You won't regret it. Just one tip on installation......after it is all done, roll your bike out of the garage before testing it. Otherwise, you'll be saying "huh??" for the rest of the day when anyone speaks to you!!

Been there, done that!

I found the exact same horn---called Bad Boyz by WOLO at Autozone for about the same price. Exact same, execpt they have plastic chrome round covers on the intakes instead of all black.

Dan

I found the exact same horn---called Bad Boyz by WOLO at Autozone for about the same price. Exact same, execpt they have plastic chrome round covers on the intakes instead of all black.

Dan

Even though the WOLO looks the same, it isn't. The Wolo website says that it puts out 118db (decibels). The Stebel is rated at 139db.

The Wolo is definitely an improvement over stock, but for the same money you can get the LOUDEST horn presently manufactured for motorcycle use (advertising propaganda from Stebel).

Even though the WOLO looks the same, it isn't. The Wolo website says that it puts out 118db (decibels). The Stebel is rated at 139db.

The Wolo is definitely an improvement over stock, but for the same money you can get the LOUDEST horn presently manufactured for motorcycle use (advertising propaganda from Stebel).

I would like to do a side by side comparrison of the two horns with a sound pressure level meter (I have one) to make it as objective as possiable.

Who in my area has a Wolo installed???? I have the Stable horn on my bike.

Teh Wolo is rated at 118db but at what distacne???

The Stebel is 139db at four inches......

Edited by KiteSquid

I would like to do a side by side comparrison of the two horns with a sound pressure level meter (I have one) to make it as objective as possiable.

Who in my area has a Wolo installed???? I have the Stable horn on my bike.

Teh Wolo is rated at 118db but at what distacne???

The Stebel is 139db at four inches......

That would indeed be interesting. And ear piercing at the same time! :rotf:

The 2 ratings may in fact be based on different measuring methods.

My Stebel has saved me also. This past sunday, I was following a buddy with his FJR. We were in town, 4 lane road on the inside lane. I saw as a van on the outside lane attempted to change with no signal and nearly run my friend into oncoming traffic. He hit his stock horn. The van driver did reacted but late and moved back into the right lane. He seemed content to stay there then but I still didn't trust him as I moved to pass him as my buddy did. Again he didn't see me as he started to move over but he sure did hear me. He was startled into laying on his horn. Stebel vs a stock minivan horn: no contest! Last I saw of him he was staying in the right lane.

I found on Stebel's website HERE that the Compact Nautilus horn is rated 115dB at 2 meters and 139 dB at 4 inches. these are A weighted measurements.

I cannot find ANY information on how they measured the horn at Wolo's web site HERE

I have sent them an e mail......

BTW I have a Stebel Compact Nautlis installed on my RSV.

Edited by KiteSquid

That would indeed be interesting. And ear piercing at the same time! :rotf:

The 2 ratings may in fact be based on different measuring methods.

I assume different distances, and possibly different weighting systems...... the horns look quite similar.....

After looking really close at the pix of the Wolo, and listening to their sound clip of it, I'd have to guess that they are identical. The Wolo is probably just a relabeled and repackaged Stebel.

Either one will get the attention of someone within earshot!

I think you guys are getting to---------HORNY around here, obviously we need a "HORN_OFF" to settle this debate! Anybody coming to the Indiana M&E on the 26th got a Stebel on their bike??????? I'll supply the WOLO "BadBoyz". (If I get the water cleaned out of it from that small pond (1-1/2' deep) I went thru on the road to Ohio on the 4th!)

Frogman, you would have been proud!

Dan

Greetings...

YES!

I am definately getting at least one of those for The Tersiphone next payday! Just about EVERY time I go west past Hwy 50 and B 1/2 (a nasty blind merging lane) - someone is chattering away with a cell phone glued to their head and going too fast. The wimpy stock horn gets used a LOT there!

Anyone know the current draw when operating?

I'm thinking possibly 2 of them, 1 ea side mounted inside the fairing so they sound out the fairing intake scoops. Cut a hole in the ducts and mount it so that the horn is pointed into the duct. I'll make a cardboard form and see where there's enough room.

I like the pitch, though a slightly richer and deeper resonanced pitch, I think would be a plus - Make the commuters think that a big heavy truck is in their blind spot!

See how many cell phones I can make them drop! A new Contest? :rotf:

In any case - this would at last - free up the stock wimpy horn mounts for driving lights!

Kandaje, they will mount up to a set of Squidleys driving light brakets, which you should have on your bike anyway so people can definately see you, but running 2 of them I would run through the supplied relay and just use the horn circuit to activate the relay. 1 horn will work OK on the horn circuit direct.

Dan

To answer you question, the Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn draws 18 Amps at 12 Volts (From the tech info tab at Stebel's web site)

IIRC there is someone here with two Nautilus Compact horns on his RSV.

If you are mourning two might I suggest you do something a little different????

Mount a Nautilus Compact Horn that produces fundamental notes at 530 and 680 Hz 115dB at 2 Meters or 139dB at four inches and mount a Nautilus Compact Truck horn that sounds a single fundamental note at 300 Hz at 110dB at 2 meters (I just purchased one on ebay for $35 but you might bid lower... plus 10 for shipping.)

That would give you 300, 530 and 680 Hz notes...... go to their web site to hear the tones.

I am looking at where I can mount the compact truck horn on my bike. I will have to assume it has the same current requirement of the compact as the compressor looks similar. So can the stator handle a short term load at 36 amps???? That comes to 432 watts. OUCH

Or for something different in a larger package you might look at the NEW Nautilus Brio horn........ one horn, three fundamentals. and three different honking patterns......... WOO HOO!!!!! but it is much bigger than the compact, and the red parts need a coat of black paint, IMHO.

Edited by KiteSquid