IGNORED

!Caution! Choppercycle Wide Exhaust Clamp

Pilot

Use caution when ordering these extra wide clamps from Choppercycle.

If you look at the pictures (use Link) you will see a raised rib portion on the inside of the clamp. The raised portion of the clamp makes the clamp too small to allow the muffler to fit unless you spread the clamp open. If you spread the clamp open it will fit over the muffler but because of the extra thickness the rib presents it wil not tighten down properly on the exhaust pipe.

If you want to use these clamps you will need to grind this raised portion of the clamp down. This took me about 40 min each and I went through 6 dremal sanding dics. I didn't notice this when I ordered the clamps. They do look good however.

http://www.chopperscycle.com/page/VTS/PROD/42-264/24032

Pilot,

Isn't that rib inside the "stop" for both pipes to stop at when installing the clamp? :confused24:

It appears like that inside rib was designed to be sandwiched between the two ends of the pipes being joined together.

If you grind it off, how do you know how much of the pipe you have inside the clamp before you tighten it?

Eck is right. That looks like the same clamp I got from Iron City Cycle. Granted, you do have to spread the gap slightly but the muffler butts up against the ridge ( or the headpipe butts up against the ridge, I forget). Its not a perfect install but to make it easier I had to clean all debris and rust from the head pipe and end of the muffler. I then coated the the pipes with anti-sieze compound, slid the pieces together and used a rubber mallet to gently nudge it all together. A good solid tap with a dead blow hammer and a block of wood against the R/K muffler bracket brought it sliding into home plate. The anti-sieze compound makes it slide on a bit easier and also helps with removal.

Pilot,

Those are the clamps that I have been installing for years on the RSV conversion to the H/D pipes. The notch is in there to go over the pipe and the sholder is for going over the header pipe on the bike. I have never had any serious issues with installing them and I would say that I have installed at least half a dozen on various RSV's. Now granted when you install H/D mufflers on the RSV everything has to be clean and corrosion free. I usually take emory cloth and clean the header up and the antiseize idea is also a good one.

I used the clamps to installed JC Whitney mufflers and it was very loose with the rib so I got rid of the rib. I think it's because there's only about 1/2" of clamp that actually tightens around the exhaust with the rib. The rib area of the clamp is all the contacts the muffler.

I may not be making myself clear, but it's the best I can do. If you remove the rib you will have contact over the entire length of the clamp, with the rib you only get 1/2".

Pilot, it's possible that the JC Whitney mufflers are slightly smaller than the Harley pipes, which im guessing we were all assuming you were using.:think: The clamp works perfectly with Harley R/K mufflers.

You might have something there. I still have my HD mufflers I will have to measure them the next time I swap them out. When I get tired of the sound one set makes I swap them makes you think your riding a new bike. I like the JC mufflers they make the bike sound like a 6 cyc. The people in the SCRC I ride with like them, they are not for everyone as they are a bit louder then HD's or most other mufflers I have heard on an RSV.

I was so curious about this that I removed a JC Whitney muffler from the bike yesterday and measured the thickness of the metal. The metal of the HD mufflers are thicker then the JC Whitney mufflers, which is why they didn't fit correctly. RuffRider99 hit the nail right on the head with this. One more mystery solved, I feel better now knowing that I was not crazy….LOL