...are not working. I know the one that is located by the rear right passenger peg, where is the other one located at?

When I press the horn button, the horn is barely audible.

Anyone heard of both of the stock horns going out?

More than likely you have to tweak the screw on the back of the horn. It will adjust the tone of the horn. I have heard of some horns stopping work and just needed the screw turned a little. The second horn I believe is located behind the left lower cowling. That's probably the one you are hearing it sounds muffled without the other one.

Just take the horn off and you will see a screw on the back of it. Have someone hit the horn while you turn the screw.

I had the same problem - very weak stock horns. I pulled them off and tested them using #12 test leads straight to the battery of my truck. They worked great off the bike. So I tested the voltage to the horns while they were still off the bike - voltage was good - just a little less than the battery voltage. But when I put them back on the bike and tested voltage again - less than 10 volts. A problem in the wiring - too much voltage drop. So I re-wired some new exceptionaly load horns - using the existing horn circuit to operate a relay. Power to the horns using #12 wire w/fuse off the realy. Mounted the horns just behind the bottom fairing on each side. Now they work !!

Since you are pulling the horns off and messing with them, it might be a good time to install a Stebel horn. Many good sources on the net (bikebandit, JC Whitney, etc.). Get the bracket from Carbon One (I think - check in classified) to make mounting easy.

JJ

You mean ALL the fuse boxes, don't you?

Aren't there THREE on these suckers?

I'd get hold of a wiring diagram and check every connection that has ANYTHING to do with the horns.......which is what I'm about to do for my (intermittent) passing lights. :-)

Good luck

Oh, and by the way, could someone please post the link to the online service manual for my friend and me? (had it but misplaced it.) Thanks!

checked both fuse boxes. All fuses are ok.

Oh, and by the way, could someone please post the link to the online service manual for my friend and me? (had it but misplaced it.) Thanks!

On the left side of ALL the pages there is a link called:

VR Tech

Click it and then on:

Second Gen and Royal Star Technical Library

then on

Guides, Parts Diagrams, Etc.

Then on

Download the Owners and Service Manuals

OR just click HERE

Be sure to thank juggler for making them available to us!!!!!!

I thought there were only 2 fuse boxes. One behind the brake side, lower cowl and one behind the clutch side, side cover by the seat.

Where is the 3rd one?

I was really hoping for a paper copy of the service manual. I don't have a computer in the garage to look at the diagram. Would defeat the purpose to print out the manual from the download. Might as well buy it. Either way, it cost $$$ for ink and paper.

Thanks.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

I gave up on the stock horns 3 years ago (even though they still 'worked') and mounted electric Rivco's (keeping the stock horns in place). Mounted the chrome plastic Rivco's using the lower mounting bolt for the airboxes at the lower fairing (they tuck up just above and forward of your feet), and ran the needed wiring/relays etc. These are loud, protected from rain and road crud, and look great in that location. Couldn't be happier.

Kelly

...are not working. I know the one that is located by the rear right passenger peg, where is the other one located at?

When I press the horn button, the horn is barely audible.

Anyone heard of both of the stock horns going out?

I didn't see an answer posted for this (could have missed it), but the second horn is buried behind the left fairing. It's black plastic.

My horns are pathetic; they sound like the last gasp of a dying calf in a hailstorm. The fairing one won't sound unless the engine is running (14 volts). I'm looking at air horns.