IGNORED

Final Oil

jbabin

I am getting ready to change the final oil on my 03 RSV, I just turned over 21,000 miles and this will be the second time I have changed it. I would like to change it over to synthetic and am looking for a recommendation. The service manual calls for SAE 80 API GL-4 hypoid gear oil, I found an SAE 75W-90 API GL-5 that is made/sold by Super Tech. Has anyone used this type of oil in their bike?

Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

I run the GL-5 supertech oil. It works fine. I like to change it more often than most, every other oil change, 8000 miles. The used oil always comes out about the same color as going in, with very little darkening. I don't see much in the way of metal shavings on the magnetic plug. The manual says GL-5 rated oil is fine.

I have heard others here state that they like the synthetic because it entrains less water and keeps the corrosion down. I've run the synthetic in the final drive and didn't notice any difference to speak of. The bike uses so little in the final drive that I change it more often. I've changed it at 4000 miles when I've had to take the saddle bag off to clean. I'll run any oil that meets the specs in the manual.

I use either Mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil or Castrol Syntech 75w-90 gear oil.

I read a test on 14 gear oils,, Amsoil rated #1,, Mobil 1 #2, GM synth axle #3, Castrol Syntec #4 and Red line synth #5.. Royal Purple synth, Mopar synth, and Lucas synth all rated lower than Vavoline, Castrol or Penzoil conventinal gear oil. Castrol Hypoy conventional was the top rated conventional, 8th over all.

Mobil 1 was the lowest priced of the top 5, Castrol second lowest priced, that is why I use them.

I guess I should list all 14

all the synths are 75w-90 the conventionals are 80w-90

1 Amsoil

2 Mobil 1

3 GM synth axle

4 Castrol syntec

5 Redlin synth

6 Pennzoil synth

7 Valvoline synpower

8 Castrol hypoy (conventional)

9 Torco SGO synth

10 Valvoline High performance (conventional)

11 Pennzoil gearplus (conventional)

12 Royal purple max-gear

13 Mopar synth

14 Lucas synth

Edited by hig4s

I'd go for a funky synthetic oil any time, but don't seem to have much choice around here on gearbox oils, so I've had to settle for semi-synthetic. My old oil has come out clean, though, and it's been so long I don't remember what it was, except it was good quality.

Sorry, not very helpful I know.