IGNORED

Anyone ever built a teardrop camping trailer?

wyomingkid

Boy, I hope you get a response to this. I tried to buy one this spring. it was on ebay and in Georgia. Homemade aluminum teardrop. Gorgeous. And of course I need a trailer like I need a hole in the head, but it would have looked good behind my 05 RSTD.

I think that my one pair of jeans, one pair of socks and two T shirts will fit in my bags. :D

I'll look at home at my emails and see if I still have his address and if I do, I'll see if he had some sort of plans. I didn't get it by the way.

Steve

I am planning to do one. Not a camping version, but a smaller utility trailer version. Plans and photos are all over the internet for these. I have a home built trailer with a sears cargo box on it at the moment. I hope to build the tear drop body for it someday. I have downloaded many photos for these including one where a guy made the whole thing out of cardboard. Then he used the cardboard as his template to make the real trailer.

My initial thoughts are:

1. use foam board for the walls with wood framing in certain places to reinforce areas for hinges and hardware. Then fiberglass the whole thing.

- or -

2. use 1/4 plywood to build the whole thing and use fiberglass to smooth off the corners, strengthen the joints and water proof the seems.

- or -

3. Black Owl suggested I could carve the whole thing out a Styrofoam block and use that as a mold to make the fiberglass shell.

Cheers,

I have been thinking for a long time about building a teardrop camping trailer to tow behind my 06 RSTD. Was wondering if anynone has and maybe has plans or a few pictures.

The short answer is YES I DID!

The long answer is I have been fooling around with it for about a year off and on.

I got pictures od the steps and I even have a plastic template for the sides.

It is a tear drop and it is skinned in aluminum.

BTW Juggler I am located in North Branch 35 miles North of the cities (St.Paul/ Mpls) for non locals) if you want to take a looky see at it.

Steve

The long answer is I have been fooling around with it for about a year off and on.

BTW Juggler I am located in North Branch 35 miles North of the cities (St.Paul/ Mpls) for non locals) if you want to take a looky see at it.

Steve

HEY I bewlieive the rule around here is pics,, and lots of them. We all wanna have a look.:sign green with env

Steve

I just drove through there last weekend.

Your coming up to the Pork in the Pines Rally?

http://www.porkinthepines.com

If so register now.

I have been thinking for a long time about building a teardrop camping trailer to tow behind my 06 RSTD. Was wondering if anynone has and maybe has plans or a few pictures.

Some more pic of the trailer

When I was a kid , dad and I built one . I believe it weighed around 150 lbs . Tear drop with a tip out for camping . Made it out of 1/8 marine grade veneer with 1/2 oz fiberglass skin . 45" wide and I think it was 50ish" long . With the lid open , extended floor flipped out . Tent canopy filled in the open spots . Frame was 1" square tubing with 12" tires . I wish I had pictures of it , but do not .

BEER30

• 2 years later...
This is the one I built last winter. It weighs about 300# empty, tows great at 65mph on the interstate. Foam futon mattress inside with a cookstove shelf in the back hatch. Works wonderful!

Wouldn't mind seeing a bunch more pictures.

Looks like you did a real nice job!

Bubber

I am seriously thinking that I will do this this fall. I will have 3 grandsons moving in on a permanent basis, they are 14, 12, 9 and have no developed skills other than gameboy Wii, xbox and nintendo ds. they are about to learn aq skill. I was wondering where you got the skin steel and what size you got and how easy to work with it was. :crying:

Have Gun Will Travel

here is some info i been looking at them for a while too!

http://mikenchell.com/

Here is the forum section of the link above. I've been looking into this for quite a while.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

And this link is for different plans for teardrops, including a foldout camping trailer for motorcycles.

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear00.htm

there is a lot of info anf plans out there, Have fun!!!:canada:

• 4 weeks later...
You could have stopped ya know LOL

Thinking very seriously about coming up to the PIP

Great looking trailer this is a build I will be doing this winter

Two questions

What did you use for a hinge

What did you use for a locking mechanism

How did you ensure the seal is water tight

What thickness of plywood did you use

Also what are the dimensions

Ok so more than two questions lol

I am thinking about the same style. Would like to replicate a woody style wagon

Great looking trailer this is a build I will be doing this winter

Two questions

What did you use for a hinge

What did you use for a locking mechanism

How did you ensure the seal is water tight

What thickness of plywood did you use

Also what are the dimensions

Ok so more than two questions lol

I am thinking about the same style. Would like to replicate a woody style wagon

Since I think your were talking to me

Two questions

What did you use for a hinge It is a special hinge call a hurricane hinge ~$40

What did you use for a locking mechanism Made my our but I have a catalog of parts

How did you ensure the seal is water tight Special molding and seals

What thickness of plywood did you use I used 3/8 on the side and 1/8" bendy birch on the curved parts. If I was to do it again I would use 1/8 all over

Also what are the dimensions I would have to do a check of dimension

Steve