IGNORED

Best time to check air pressure

Guest tesnevo

Guest tesnevo

I have noticed that when I check my tire pressure on the RSV, Brickstones, that it is different by two-five pounds by time of day.

My bike sits under my covered carport, on concrete, and if I check it when it is cool outside (morning) it is dead on ( 36 front-41 rear)

If I check it in the mid day or afternoon when the temp is higher then it will rise by anywhere from two to five pounds depending on how hot it is outside.

So my question is this, is it ok to regulate the pressure by the "expanded" (afternoon) tire pressure/temp or try to always take the pressure in the am when the tires are cold?

On a side note the Brickstones are going bye bye. my new AVON's are getting put on tomorrow. Thanks to a $400.00 screw I will have a new set of tires at 5000 miles.

I always thought you were supposed to check the tires cold.

:sign yeah that: Tire pressures expand as they heat up from the friction of riding, so before you start riding or driving is the time to get the most accurate pressure.

I have noticed that when I check my tire pressure on the RSV, Brickstones, that it is different by two-five pounds by time of day.

My bike sits under my covered carport, on concrete, and if I check it when it is cool outside (morning) it is dead on ( 36 front-41 rear)

If I check it in the mid day or afternoon when the temp is higher then it will rise by anywhere from two to five pounds depending on how hot it is outside.

So my question is this, is it ok to regulate the pressure by the "expanded" (afternoon) tire pressure/temp or try to always take the pressure in the am when the tires are cold?

On a side note the Brickstones are going bye bye. my new AVON's are getting put on tomorrow. Thanks to a $400.00 screw I will have a new set of tires at 5000 miles.

Expensive screw, I had a bolt like that too.. I hung it on my wall..

Your question is an interesting one as the pressures will increase with heat, be it from riding friction or day time heating, as in your case, quite dramatic.. 5lbs difference? How much of a variance from morning to afternoon temps? It would make it hard to adjust especially if you're out riding.. Heck even tire gauges vary in precision when taking readings.

I find it interesting on the pressures you're running.. I run 38 - 42 on my Elite IIIs.

On my VStar I run ME880's which are awesome tires for that kind of bike and I enjoy exceptionally long life out of those tires by putting the right pressures in them for MY riding style and weight.

I burnt through a set of tires in record time when it was pointed out to me that though I had the 'manufacturer's recommended pressures, it was obviously way too low for my bike. Yamaha states a 'regular rider is 180 lbs.. Face it.. look around the parking lot, only the kids or short older people weigh that these days.. So if you're vertically and horizontally challenged (Yes, ROUND is a shape), you need to adjust your pressures.. and how do you know what's best for your needs to extend the life out of your tires?

On a typical sunny mid-day, take a 30 minute run up the highway at 60 mph.. then pull over to the side and feel the temps between the tire and pavement. If the pavement and tire feel to be about the same temps, you're most likely running an appropriate pressure.. if the tire is scalding hot, you're under pressure as the tire flexes more causing more friction which causes more heat. Not sure how well this would work in 120'F weather mind you but around here, it works like a charm. I got well over 38,000 kms on my rear and replaced my front at 49,000 kms.. It's all about pressures..

So in your case.. yeah what to do! It would be like riding your bike from Denver to the low lands and back.. do you stop in between and put air in and then let some out?

Personally, I would be adjusting the pressure to the time period you're riding most.. Right now I'd be going to work in 60'F weather and by the time I get home it's in the 80's, huge temp diff.. So My tires are checked in the late mornings / late afternoons as this is when I do most of my riding..

Sounds right, set the pressure to the time of day you are riding. The new Avons will probably run cooler because of the higher pressure you will (should) be running. I took the wheels to Costco and they were happy to inflate them with nitrogen. It seems to cut down the pressure rise by a couple of pounds.

I check mine cold before it leaves the garage or first thing in the morning if I am on the road. BTW for the Avons I use the max cold pressure posted on the sidewall all the time and like the way it feels under all conditions.

Guest tesnevo

I appreciate all the replies. I finally got the bike back after two days of waiting to get tires put on. :whistling:

Anywhooo, I was very surprised to find what was mentioned above, 42 front and 50 rear. WOW! Now that is some tire psi.

I will say that even though I only traveled approx. 18 miles I could tell the difference like day and night. The OEM Brickstones are better suited for the tire heap. These tires ride smoother and quieter. I am anxious to get them on the back roads and see how they do.

As to the tire pressure, generally I do check it in the morning and do before every ride. I was just wanted to get general consensus on this thought.

This was mentioned some time ago in a related post by another member... thought I'd reiterate it. Don't rely totally on your tire gauge... try 1 or 2 others .... you may well find that the one you been using is off a little or a lot.

Tire experts will always recommend you set tire pressures when cold, best to check early in the day (see below).

Tire pressures will change approximately 1 psi for every 10 degrees of temperature change. So if you have a 60 degree morning and set the tire to say 36 pounds, by afternoon in the summer if it is 90 degrees, that same tire could be 39 pounds.

That is also why you don't set tires to the MAX pressure on the sidewall, because you can seriously over-inflate on hot days. use the recommended pressures for the load and conditions,set by the bike manufacturer for the size of tire recommended for your bike.

If you want to go up 2-4 PSI over that, that is usually just fine, but much more and you risk damaging a tire. It CAN happen.

Don't let air out of a hot tire, because when you get back on the next morning, you can be seriously underinflated, and cause real problems till the tires heat back up. Thus check in the morning, and if you MUST check or add air when the day/bike/tires are hot, then do a little h ead math, and add a few extra pounds if checking when hot.

Guest tesnevo
ummmmmmmm.... I'm biting my tongue here... REAL HARD ....

:sign20: :sign20:

Actually $456.65 to be exact! :Avatars_Gee_George:

Guest tesnevo

Should have been a discount on that. But they seem to want to make a profit on their business. What kind of bologna is that? A business trying to make a profit? Pffft....:hurts:

Now I just need to figure out what tire pressure I want/need to keep them at. General conses states about 45 rear and 40 front. I got the bike home and checked the pressure the next morning and it was at 36 front and 41 rear. The bike felt great riding home so maybe I might split the difference. The riding is mostly two up and when its just me she is getting a lot of twisty back roads with my buddies.