IGNORED

is everyone close to the fires in California all ok?

friesman

I hope everyone that is close to the fires around Big Sur and area are doing well and are all safe .

I was looking at the Nepenthe Restaurant in Big Sur webcam today and it looks soo smoky. I hope the fire isnt destroying all that gorgeous park area all up and down the coast.

Brian

Guest Vermincelli

Not close to the fires but getting all the smoke here.

It's brutal, sinus headaches from hell for the last week.

Smoke has been thick here. When I left for a GK's wedding in Ida last Thursday I looked forward to getting away from the stuff, but the smoke and haze lasted until I was north of Wells NV. That's 500 miles from here!! I left the house at 0400hrs and headed east. Over Donner Pass it was dense enough to look like fog. The rising sun was just a big orange ball and not blinding at all. Looked kinda cool. MOF it was even hazy in Twin Falls, but it disappeared by Saturday. Our oldest has asthma and she really had problems on Thrusday and Friday. This morning the Sky actually is blue. Hope it lasts for a while..... Big Sur fire is still out of control, and according to the radio we are still fighting 1400 lightening strike fires through out the state.

Smoke has been thick here. When I left for a GK's wedding in Ida last Thursday I looked forward to getting away from the stuff, but the smoke and haze lasted until I was north of Wells NV. That's 500 miles from here!! I left the house at 0400hrs and headed east. Over Donner Pass it was dense enough to look like fog. The rising sun was just a big orange ball and not blinding at all. Looked kinda cool. MOF it was even hazy in Twin Falls, but it disappeared by Saturday. Our oldest has asthma and she really had problems on Thrusday and Friday. This morning the Sky actually is blue. Hope it lasts for a while..... Big Sur fire is still out of control, and according to the radio we are still fighting 1400 lightening strike fires through out the state.
I know where your coming from when you talk about going over Donner Pass Jack, I was up in Bear Valley about the same time, and your right, it looked like heavy fog. I was glad to get back to the Bay Area as it wasn't quite that bad. Somebody forgot to tell God that there's a no smoking law in California, that's all us Californian's are doing is breathing in that awful air. I get to the point where I don't want to go to work so I can stay inside. Hope they get a handle on some of the big ones up north to keep us down in the Bay Area out of the line of fire from the smoke.

I'm heading south from SEA on I-5 tomorrow morning.

Will overnite in Weed Calif. Whats the smoke situation South from Weed, heading for Reno ??

Any route reccomendations, to avoid the smoke as much as possible ??

I'm heading south from SEA on I-5 tomorrow morning.

Will overnite in Weed Calif. Whats the smoke situation South from Weed, heading for Reno ??

Any route reccomendations, to avoid the smoke as much as possible ??

Just depends on the direction of the wind George. There are fires everywhere.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1012305.html

As far as a route you might think about staying on the east side of the Sierras...maybe over night in Susanville???

One thing is for sure, riding a scoot isn't very enjoyable right now.

Thanks for the info, don't sound good.

How is it from Sacremento, south towards LA, ??

According to the map, L.A. and SoCal have escaped any fires for the present. Actually it looks like NorCal may get a little repreve from the smoke with a little ridge that looks like it'll come thru tomorrow. Any rain out of it would be a big plus, but any wind out of the south west would work. Hope your trip is smoke free....

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_ir_enh_west_loop-12.html

Good time for a coast ride right now George except when you get to Big Sur. Went for a ride with my grandson and headed straight for Half Moon Bay and up to San Francisco from there. Was great to breathe some clean air for a change. If you decide to head anywhere in this state, good luck and just hope for a good stiff wind that'll clear the way for you no matter what direction you head. :080402gudl_prv: