IGNORED

My New Clearview Windshield

Tom,

Did you have a clutch basket chirp before you got this windshield?

Reason I ask is because I have one and, I don't know if it's just me but, I think my "chirp" got better. Not necessarily the volume of the chirp was reduced, although I think that may be the case slightly, but, to me, there was a really high pitched component about the chirp which, I believe decreased dramatically. So now, the chirp doesn't quite hit me like an ice pick into the ear like it used to.

Just wanted to know if you or anyone else can confirm that I'm not crazy... Okay, Okay, I AM crazy but just that I'm not crazy about hearing a difference in the sound.

Gibvel,The whine or chirp is really still the same on mine..I am so used to it I have to think about it to hear it though..Also someone asked earlier about RainX and at that time I had not used it but I just got back from a 700 mile ride and got caught in severe storms..The RainX was so WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also that little defrost vents on the inside really did push the water off the inside of the windshield (I RainXed the inside also)..It was so nice to ride in the rain and actually see good! Tom

I just got confirmation that due to heavy production runs, my new windshield should be shipping out in 4-6 weeks.. I did ask them about the safe use of RainX on their windshields as it's a petroleum based product that would damage most plex - lexan - polycarbonate windshield.. Though they thanked me for my order they didn't answer the question about RainX.

It still makes me nervous though.. I know this product works on glass, we used to use it on our acrobatic jets but on plexi it's damaging..

I just got confirmation that due to heavy production runs, my new windshield should be shipping out in 4-6 weeks.. I did ask them about the safe use of RainX on their windshields as it's a petroleum based product that would damage most plex - lexan - polycarbonate windshield.. Though they thanked me for my order they didn't answer the question about RainX.

It still makes me nervous though.. I know this product works on glass, we used to use it on our acrobatic jets but on plexi it's damaging..

From the clearview site.

• Clearview Shields has been Handcrafting Shields in the USA for Over 20 Years

• Top Rated by Riders Around the World in Performance, Quality, Fit and Finish

• Premium High Impact Acrylic Blend Material Exceeds Industry & DOT Standards

• UV Inhibitors Extend Shield Life & Provide Protection for the Dash and Acc.

• 3/16" (.187) Thick Material is More Rigid than the Stock Shield

• Ready to Mount for Fast & Easy Installation

• Lower Black Masking Covers Lower Dash Area for a Clean, Finished Look

• 4 Different Heights Available to Tailor the Shield Height to Your Height

• Added Width for Increased Protection for Your Arms and Shoulders

• Contoured Shape for Improved Air Flow & Shield Strength

• Upper Recurve Pushes the Air Up Higher Creating a Larger, Quieter Pocket

• Shipped with a Clear Protective Film that allows Installation and Testing

Can be Polished, Buffed, and is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula

Many folks here on VentureRiders have used rain-X on their Clearviews with good results.

From the clearview site.

Can be Polished, Buffed, and is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula

Many folks here on VentureRiders have used rain-X on their Clearviews with good results.

Yes, we've all seen that but still curious as to why their windshields can handle RainX while OEM shields can't.. different materials, coatings or a boastful claim? We've all seen well meaning sites with honest and good intentions make claims they couldn't properly back up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hoping that the Clearviews will handle the RainX and not show any after effects a few years down the road..

Dayum.. 4-6 weeks of waiting is a long time.. it's not here yet!! =)

Anyone riding with the XXL tall ones notice any flexing at the top when riding at top speeds?

Cheers

You know what. All I've used on mine is Plexus and I don't think I'm even going to bother with Rain-X. The Plexus, in my estimation, does about as good a job of beading and moving water as ther Rain-X. The only thing is that it may not last as long, however, if you use it to clean the windshield then you're probably going to use it again before it wears off.

Yes, we've all seen that but still curious as to why their windshields can handle RainX while OEM shields can't.. different materials, coatings or a boastful claim? We've all seen well meaning sites with honest and good intentions make claims they couldn't properly back up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hoping that the Clearviews will handle the RainX and not show any after effects a few years down the road..

Dayum.. 4-6 weeks of waiting is a long time.. it's not here yet!! =)

Anyone riding with the XXL tall ones notice any flexing at the top when riding at top speeds?

Cheers

There is no flexing at all..I kept wondering what the 2 little pieces of rubber they send were for and I figured it out..they go at the bottom corners where it is appx 2 inches wider on each side to give it a more finished look. After you install the shield just slide the rubber pieces on.Any questions feel free to call me ,my number is in the profile. Tom

I kept wondering what the 2 little pieces of rubber they send were for and I figured it out..they go at the bottom corners where it is appx 2 inches wider on each side to give it a more finished look. After you install the shield just slide the rubber pieces on.

Yeah, wondered the same thing, but I called anyway. That's what they told me there were for. Should have trusted my instinct. :thumbsup2:

The reason that you can use RainX on the Clearview shield and not on the OEM shield is that the OEM shields and most aftermarket shields use a coating on the Lexan. Clearview does not use a coating. The RainX will cause those coatings to yellow. That being said, I've still never used RainX on my shield but I may try it one of these days.

There is no flexing at all..I kept wondering what the 2 little pieces of rubber they send were for and I figured it out..they go at the bottom corners where it is appx 2 inches wider on each side to give it a more finished look. After you install the shield just slide the rubber pieces on.Any questions feel free to call me ,my number is in the profile. Tom

Many thanks!! Much appreciated!

The reason that you can use RainX on the Clearview shield and not on the OEM shield is that the OEM shields and most aftermarket shields use a coating on the Lexan. Clearview does not use a coating. The RainX will cause those coatings to yellow. That being said, I've still never used RainX on my shield but I may try it one of these days.

Ok I understand now.. Looking forward to looking through this Clearview windshield.. ; )

Many thanks

Cheers M8

I have a question about the height of the Clearview. Right now on my 05 Midnight I look through he factory stock shield. This causes problems when it rains or fogs up (can't see). The old question still remains of do you look over or through the bike windshield. On my previous cruiser that I had I could look over the shield for a clear view of the road ahead. The only drawback was that when it rained the rain would bead at the top of the shield and blow back straight into my face. I was wondering if the 21 inch (Large) which would put the top of the shield just below my eye level, would it shed the rain over my head or right into my face?

Moakster

I have a question about the height of the Clearview. Right now on my 05 Midnight I look through he factory stock shield. This causes problems when it rains or fogs up (can't see). The old question still remains of do you look over or through the bike windshield. On my previous cruiser that I had I could look over the shield for a clear view of the road ahead. The only drawback was that when it rained the rain would bead at the top of the shield and blow back straight into my face. I was wondering if the 21 inch (Large) which would put the top of the shield just below my eye level, would it shed the rain over my head or right into my face?

Moakster

I had the same questions and issues but decided on the taller one (should be here in August) as I figured that if the height was too much of an issue I can always trim it down. However, from what Clearview owners are saying, visibility won't be an issue.. especially if you put RainX on it.. It certainly can't be any worse than what I'm having to deal with now.. ;)

Moakster

I have the XXtall and see thru it.I cannot honestly say if it will hit you in the face,my thinking is that it will not as my airflow is about 8 inches or more over he top of mine. Now the other day I went around 700 mile round trip and 1/2 of it was in the rain..BAD RAIN and I used Rainx on the shield inside and out and water just beaded and blew off. Now the little defrost type vents on the vent inside really helped blow off the rain from the inside of the shield..I Love that feature! I also when raining use a faceshield as I wear glasses and I dont care what you use drops will get on your glasses so I flip the shield down and ride!

I have the XXtall and see thru it.I cannot honestly say if it will hit you in the face,my thinking is that it will not as my airflow is about 8 inches or more over he top of mine. Now the other day I went around 700 mile round trip and 1/2 of it was in the rain..BAD RAIN and I used Rainx on the shield inside and out and water just beaded and blew off. Now the little defrost type vents on the vent inside really helped blow off the rain from the inside of the shield..I Love that feature! I also when raining use a faceshield as I wear glasses and I dont care what you use drops will get on your glasses so I flip the shield down and ride!

using their measurements I think the new one will put the air flow well over the top of my head so that should reduce a lot of head buffeting I'm feeling on the highway.. We'll see when it gets here =)

Put the XXL on our 05, tinted, with a vent about two months ago, since then I went on a 2200 mile trip. With the XXL it really blows the rain off very nicely, I Rain-X it with many coats and it works great, but I have used this stuff on our vehicles for years. The Tint helps during the day, at night I think it takes out some of the glare from the on coming headlights, the tint I didn't even notice it being there at night. Vent works good, at least now you have a air stream coming in instead of stale air from the motor, The only problem (the only flaw in the windshield) in the rain :snow:you have drops coming thru the seal when closed, I got a piece of clear plastic tubing and slit it, so when it rains I put of the seal part and no rain comes thru. The black plastic tubes for under the edge on the windshield, I have lost one all ready, I would put just drop of glue on them so they don't come off easily.

For those of you worried about changing the windshield out, it will take 10min max. You just need a set of alan wrenches, two screws on the inside of the fairing to take off the chrome trim in front at the bottom of the windshield, but be very carefull during removal & reinstallation not to break it. Once the chrome piece is off you can see the screws holding the windshield on, change out and you are done.

I would buy another if this wears out...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The only problem (the only flaw in the windshield) in the rain :snow:you have drops coming thru the seal when closed, I got a piece of clear plastic tubing and slit it, so when it rains I put of the seal part and no rain comes thru.

Good flaw to point out... I had that thought in the back of my brain but it never surfaced, as of yet this year I have not "had" to ride in the rain. I did notice that when I washed the bike and I rode to dry it off that water came through those vents - so in a down pour this would be annoying. What size and type of plastic tubing did you end up using?

I got the notification this morning that the clearview xxl (i dont know the model number, but the biggest they make for a 1st gen) with grey tint and vent will be shipped today or tomorrow!!!

Anyone want a small Slipstream windshield for cheap? If youre going to be down at the west Coast rally in August I will even deliver for free.

Brian