IGNORED

Here are my stupid questions of the day!

Hey all. I am a mechanical idiot. Now that I have gotten that out of the way....I have 2 questions....a gas question and an oil question.

Gas-can anyone tell me the benefit of putting the high test gasoline in? I have had my RSTD since April and the dealer told me to put in the high end gas. Why?

Oil-How often do you folks change the oil? Someone will be proud of me...I actually learned how to do it and took care of my bike.

I appreciate the wisdom and feedback from the site. Thanks!

No need to use high octane unless your getting a ping which you shouldn't be. Only time I used higher octane was in the midwest where I was getting some bad milage on the 85 crap.

I change mine every 5 or 6k. I also use synth oil and a mobile 1 10k oil filter.

There is absolutely no reason to run high end gas in the bike. The manual calls for 87 Octane and that's what I've run in mine since buying it in '99. I've tried mid and high grade from time to time with no improvement of any kind, performance nor fuel economy.

I change my oil every 3,000 miles. I run pure synthetic and could go longer but it's just an old habit that's hard to break.

Hey all. I am a mechanical idiot. Now that I have gotten that out of the way....I have 2 questions....a gas question and an oil question.

Gas-can anyone tell me the benefit of putting the high test gasoline in? I have had my RSTD since April and the dealer told me to put in the high end gas. Why?

Oil-How often do you folks change the oil? Someone will be proud of me...I actually learned how to do it and took care of my bike.

I appreciate the wisdom and feedback from the site. Thanks!

Howdy Principal, there are no true idiots on here, we are just learning new things. Don't see no need for high end gas myself, I burn the regular unleaded fine, no problems at all. 2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe (1 ,500 miles so far) - Roadhouse pipes and K&N filters - 44 average critically checked miles per gallon - bought new this March 2008. You did better than I the first oil change, I let them do it and found out that was a joke at my dealer house (I changed dealers, maybe you should). You should change engine oil and filter at around 800 mile the first time, also do not use the synthetic until around 10,000 miles if you prefer. Also change rear end grease at 800 mile the first time. One quart of yamalube rear end grease will change the rear end about three or four times. I am going to change my engine oil and filter on about 4,000 miles myself. I am going to change rear end grease at about every other engine oil change (8,000 miles). I added new pipes and air filters and plugged off ASI system and then had carbs synced, running perfectly and taking trip tomorrow. Sounds complicated, but it is not really. This webb site and these fine folks have been a great help to me. Just look in the RSTD tech library and you will find all you will need to do the things listed here. Plugging the AIS system is just fine, just don't tell everyone you did it (dealer,warranty issue). It is just a EPA gadget.... Thats just how I feel, not everyone.

James

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
dealer

I changed to synthetic at around 2,000 miles and would do so again next time. Everybody has a different opinion on that though and I'm not saying that mine is any better than yours.

I agree with changing the rear end oil at around 800 miles the first time. I would agree to change it again at around 2000 miles but after that, I change mine once a year. I don't use Yamalube in anything though. I use Mobil One synthetic in the rear.

Went riding with some friends last week 2 Wings 2 Harleys and me. We stopped yo fill up, then the two Harley guys headed across the street to Auto Zone to get octane booster :confused24: said it won't run right without it . The two wings both got premium. I filled up with regular like I always do.

Oil, When I park it for the winter and mid summer. Unless you happen to go over 3,000 miles between changes.

Principal,

I just ran a test on this myself. Spent a week in Laconia for bike week. Ran premium (92 octane)... got 44 mpg. Ran basic 89 octane... got 44 mpg. Ran 87 octane... got 44mpg.

FYI - I tend to not shift into OD until I'm cruising at 50+mph, (you can find previous posts on the forum regarding this). I do this so I'm not constantly down-shifting in the turns to re-gain accelaration/torque. However, the faster I get it into OD, the gas mileage improves to about 46mpg.

Hope this helps.

Bob

No high test gas here. IMO you are wasting your $$ for the high octane if you do not have spark knock.

I run Mobil 1 MC oil and shoot for 4000 mile changes with Wix or Napa Gold filter. If I miss the change and run to 5000 miles, no big concern with the Mobil1.

Cahnged my rear end fluid at 800, 4000, and 10,000 miles. Probably will not change that again until 24,000 or 25,000 miles.

Guest JGorom

Both the Wing and the Venture call for 87 octane. If you use higher octane in either the only difference you will see is less money in your wallet.

I run dino (regular) oil for 3,000 to 3,500 miles...usually switch to synthetic at around 10,000 to 12,000 miles then will go between 4,000 and 5,000 between oil changes. Filter always gets changed with the oil...no exceptions. I have found that the synthetic oil does indeed help with smoothing out the shifting. I use the Shell Rotella which can be purchased by the gallon at WalMart.

Rear end oil used to get changed at every oil change...now I go every other.

Synching your carberators yourself will save you a lot of money and it is not that difficult to do. You can get instructions here on how to do that and purchase a carb tune which will be paid for in one to two carb synchs. I typically synch my carbs 2-3 times per year...takes longer to set it up and take off than to synch the carbs.

Get some Seafoam and use it to keep your carbs clean and avoid potential maintenance issues that can be avoided. It's one once per gallon...some use more...I use 1/2 can per tank full. I typically will run a can through the system in the Spring (that would be 2 tankfuls) after I run out the first tank of gas which has Stabilizer in the fuel from the late Fall when I put my bikes away for the winter. Then I might run another can through the system towards the middle of summer (late June/early July)...and then another on the last tank before I fill up for the last time and stabilize the fuel.

Everytime your rear tire comes off...have the dealer or whoever does this maintenance check the rear brakes and grease the rear end splines. Just a no brainer whenever that rear wheel comes off.

Enjoy your ride...download some of the articles in the maintenance section just to familarize yourself with the bike...and have fun.

• 8 months later...

What is the consensus opinion of changing a 23,000 mile 1998 Tour Classic II from "SF" 10W-40 to Mobile 1? What weight Mobile 1?

I just bought the bike so I've never ridden a V4. I hear carb sync being mentioned. I guess if it sounds and feels like one cylinder (above 65 MPH) is working harder than the rest, I need to Sync the carbs, huh?

Walter