IGNORED

Headlight Bulb Orientation

I replaced my headlight with the H4. Last night I went out for a ride to check it. I got better visibility when it was in low beam than when it was in high beam. I checked and both elements are lighting up on high beam so I know the bulb is okay. I adjusted the headlight both up and down and still get the same results. Is it possible to put the H4 bulb in so that it would be 180 degrees out (or upside down so to speak)? When I look at the bulb on high beam it seems that the high beam filament is below the low beam element.

I replaced my headlight with the H4. Last night I went out for a ride to check it. I got better visibility when it was in low beam than when it was in high beam. I checked and both elements are lighting up on high beam so I know the bulb is okay. I adjusted the headlight both up and down and still get the same results. Is it possible to put the H4 bulb in so that it would be 180 degrees out (or upside down so to speak)? When I look at the bulb on high beam it seems that the high beam filament is below the low beam element.

It sounds like you have it in properly as the reason for the high beam being below the low beam is that they get more angle on the light prism. Think of a 2x4 laying on a ball, now push one end of the 2x4 to the ground and the other end points up (bright lights) and vice versa. My question is do you have the headlight visor? If so mine is the same way as the light reflects back down when it hits the visor. Hope this helps.:080402gudl_prv:

Big Mike

Guest tx2sturgis

Thats weird. Actually, the filaments are inline with each other, more or less, and the only way that they could be reversed that I know of, would be if the internal wiring in the bulb was reversed. Check it and make sure that the bulb is all the way into the socket. If it was partially out of place, it would cause a focusing problem.

You said you checked the up down adjustment...make sure you havent inadvertently pointed the beam too high. That can also cause a headlight to throw more light on the pavement on low beam than on high.

I'm pretty sure that the H4 bulbs are keyed in such a way that they can only go in one way and if you were able to get the retaining clip back on then the bulb is in properly. It's my guess that the HL is still aimed too high and needs to come down. I personally run my brights 95% of the time and have it aimed so that at about 50 yards the top of the beam of light is about 20ft off the ground. If the light bothers people at night then I will drop to low until they are passed. I have learned from experience that it's better to see farther and wider at night. Deer are constantly on the sides of the roads and the sooner I see them the better.