IGNORED

help with final drive question

my 86 VR had some extra play in the driveline the last couple thousand miles.

Took it to the shop, and tech says the bearing on the pinion gear shaft is bad. Says it caused some unusual wear on the teeth, and recommended a new final drive at $900 for parts only.

Is this a lot for this part? Also, could the wear from the bad bearing be so bad that if we just replaced the bearing and seals and set the clearance again, that the gear noise would be bad, or it would fail again soon?

My thought is that unless the wear was real deep, that the wear pattern would work into the new alignment eventually (another thousand or so miles) and be just fine.

I will try to inspet in person next week, and have time to order the new part or just the bearing. Tried to get a used unit on E-bay and was out-bid.

Am I being too penny pinching with this repair? The cost is about 1/3 the value of the bike, and will come close to the total value with the other repairs also being made. I love the bike, and wanted to keep it going for a couple more years, it only has 30,000 miles and everything works and looks good.

Thoughts?