IGNORED

My Venture to “The Darkside” & Return

OB-1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all

i now have just over 10,000 miles on my c/t mode. i put 4,438 miles on the c/t going to the '08 int. rally in kitchener. i also pulled my trailer that was loaded to the gunwalls with all my camping stuff. for 2,200 miles i had my 13y.o. sarah with me. i had put 34 psi in the c/t before leaving for the rally and you know i still haven't checked the air pressure in it yet.

i can say at first the c/t was different, for the first couple of hundred miles had to get use to the "new feel " when i leaned it to the turns. the bike seemed like i had to nuge it up and over the 'edge". i do not feel that difference now, it's a smooth left to right swing now, just like on a m/c tire. i've had the c/t on now since april 06,08.

i first ran the "montgomery trace" fm 149 on monday after i installed the c/t. it has some nice twistes in it, no problems swinging thru those twistes. the next set of twistes i ran was the ( three sisters fm337,fm335 and fm336 ) over in the texas hill country. o by the way the sisters are voted as one of the top 10 m/c twistes roads to ride in the state by ride texas magaizne. had a great time running the sisters.

i also removed and installed the c/t my self and i did not balance it. so far i have not had any shake / woble problems as i have read about. all i can say is it's working for me. and i am happy with my decision to go to "the dark side". sorry for the long post but just wanted to throw my 2-cents out there. i'am still thinking about trying that radial

tire for the front as maineac has suggested. when i do ya'll be the first know.

as i have stated before this mod is not for everyone, but it's working for me and i like it.

best reguards

don c.

:225:

As I am reading through the posts I am wondering is there something here that has to do with location. Where your located in the country, South Vs North? Seems like there is a deep split if the CT works or doesn't work.

I'll stay on the bright side and sift through the post for a while yet.

BTW OB-1 I am sending you a e-mail.

I was seduced to the "Darkside" with the promise of increased tire life, better rear wheel traction, reduced costs, and good handling.

Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of "darkness".

Welcome back to the light, my brother!!! Go and sin no more!!

I have an 89, can't mount one, so this is just an observers opinion.

However I am very interested in the subject.

After reading thru this thread for the last couple of weeks, ( Unless I missed it )

I have not seen any detailed info as to Which Brands are avialable in the correct size, ( ie. how many brands make the size ? ) and then we get into the Range of different quality, tires, and Types of caseings, and how many ply's, and how thick does each manufacture build their side walls ????? etc etc etc

( If we had all this info, we could run this thread out for another 6 months )

So what am I asking here?

1. Which Specific, Brands, and models of tires have members tried. ?

2. What specific type of construction were the tires that folks are reporting on ?

3. Were they Rayon cord , Nylon cord , Belted, or Steel Belted Radial????

( how many different types are there ?? who's the tire salesman out there ?? )

The question then must be posed !!! Which of all these Different types of

" CT's " would be best to use on a motorcyle ?? Are some good, and some very bad ??? ----

:stirthepot:

I think all of your questions can be answered by reading the "Darkside" post. There are photos as well.

As far as I know, those of us running car tires are using two or three different makes.

The biggest difference as I see it is in the overall height of the tire. The higher the profile or aspect ratio, the more flexible the sidewall. I'm running a 165-80/15 and I am tickled to death with it.

You simply have to compare the notes and decide which you think will be best for you.

After reading the posts, if you still have questions, I will be glad to tell you my experience and what I know, though I'm no expert by any stretch.

Good luck.

Jeff

I think all of your questions can be answered by reading the "Darkside" post. There are photos as well.

As far as I know, those of us running car tires are using two or three different makes.

The biggest difference as I see it is in the overall height of the tire. The higher the profile or aspect ratio, the more flexible the sidewall. I'm running a 165-80/15 and I am tickled to death with it.

You simply have to compare the notes and decide which you think will be best for you.

After reading the posts, if you still have questions, I will be glad to tell you my experience and what I know, though I'm no expert by any stretch.

Good luck.

Jeff

Ok thanks, for that, then I assume the " Lowest Aspect Ratio" " and the Highest Quality " tire offered by whatever mfg. has that size. Price would be no object.

However I'm still thinking, there would be differences in preformance, between different MFG. tires. Also, I suppose the Tread Design, could have some effect on performance also.

Ok thanks, for that, then I assume the " Lowest Aspect Ratio" " and the Highest Quality " tire offered by whatever mfg. has that size. Price would be no object.

However I'm still thinking, there would be differences in preformance, between different MFG. tires. Also, I suppose the Tread Design, could have some effect on performance also.

I didn't mean to get your dander up.

I think most everyone on here is still running the first ct that they have put on. I know that I am so I don't have any experience with any tire other than the Federal 165/80R15. This tire has a higher profile but it is the closest to the original mc tire, exactly the same as I measured it. It's the only one they make in that size so I guess that means it's also the highest quality one they make.

I paid $55 for the tire at a dealer in Mississippi and $20 to get it mounted here where I live. It is rated as a 40k mile tire on an auto.

The photos on the site flb_78 gave you will show the difference in tread design, and yes, like you, I suppose it could have some effect on performance, but again I haven't tried any other. You can read the post by the different owners and guess as well as any of us.

It's like learning to ride your first bike. You can read all you want, but your'e going to have to get on it to see if you like it.

If you want some more info on which tires are working and those that we highly recommend that you stay away from...go to this site and read up on the subject...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E

(the first page will probably be a promotion, page, just go to bottom and click skip, and it will open the Dark Side Delphi forum)

There are hundreds of examples and first hand experience in there...

I think most everyone on here is still running the first ct that they have put on. I know that I am so I don't have any experience with any tire other than the Federal 165/80R15. This tire has a higher profile but it is the closest to the original mc tire, exactly the same as I measured it. It's the only one they make in that size so I guess that means it's also the highest quality one they make.

I am running a BF Goodrich T/A Radial 155/80 R15....It has a slightly lower overall height.

The width is pretty close to the 150/90 Elite III I took off the bike when I went to the "Dark Side" (that sounds so evil...LOL), the main difference, in reference to the width, is I have gained maybe, 3 or 4 times the foot print, so there is much better traction. The width being measured at the widest spot on the tire which would be the side walls on the CT and the edge of the tread on the MT.

In starting, stopping , curves, and rain, I have found the CT to be much more capable than the MT's I have used in the past...bar none.

I am not entirely new to the use of MT's on a motorcycle...I owned a 54 Harley Hydra Glide back in the early 70's, and ran VW bus tires, because MT's weren't readily available back then.

Todays tires are a far cry from the tires of the 70's...they are engineered and built much better today. Back then we didn't have options, and you learned to hang on tight and muscle the bike through twisties...

Also back then, the Dragons Tail wasn't something we'd plan a vacation around, so tires were looked at more as something we needed to have in order to ride, and not so much for performance.

Currently I have around 5000 miles on this tire. The only thing I have really noticed about it's performance since I found my sweet spot is, there is a very distinct difference in the 'feel' of the tire in cool and hot weather....The cooler the temps, the firmer the tire feels, the hotter it gets (air temp) the softer it feels...But, it doesn't change the handling. I can feel a slight wobble in some but not all curves in 80 degree weather, and I can feel the rain grooves trying to guide the tire on hot days...cooler days gives a more responsive feel and doesn't feel like it is trying to correct itself in the rain grooves.

Those comparisons are chiefly expressway experiences, the majority of my riding is secondary roads which tend to be cooler due to less traffic and seldom have grooves...I have no problem with handling on these type roads regardless of temps...oh and it does gravel and sand roads 1000 times better than the MT's ever thought of doing...

I have had to make a couple panic stops , where one of the vehicularly challenged has pulled out in front of me, the CT , having more surface traction, made those stops with no problem. I have gone into curves a little hot and really had to lean into them to stay on the road and the CT held firm and didn't kick out from under me...in fact I had one incident where the front MT broke loose for a second, scared the crap outta me, but the rear CT held on and brought it back under control...

Is a CT for everyone? I have to say it could be...but you'd have to understand going in that it is gonna feel different and it takes a minute to get used to it...after the second or third time rolling with it, you won't notice it, unless you are purposely looking to fault the tire....