IGNORED

Mt. Washinton

RedRider

We are readying for our annual long bike trip and was wondering if anyone has ridden to the top of Mount Washington in NH.

If so, can you please let me know:

1) Is the road paved or gravel?

2) It appears the road is really narrow. Is it two way and, if so, how much difficulty is there with oncoming traffic?

3) Is it as steep as it appears by their vehicle requirements (must have L or 1 on auto transmission, no Lincoln Continentals prior to 1969, etc.).

I'll run it no matter what. However, my 69 year old Dad on his BMW may be a little over cautious. Just curious about what we can expect.

Thanks for your input. When we go, I will get the pic for the Scavanger Hunt.

RR

Last time I rode up Mt Washington was in 1979. Parts of it was paved but overall it was ok. Im sure by now its much improved. I did it on a Honda 750. One thing I noticed was the air is real thin above the timberline and those 4 carbs sure sucked air. We went the first part of June and it was 55 on the ground, but 29 at the top. Yes, it was a 2 way road then, single lane each way and narrow. But that was also 29 years ago. It was great though. Enjoy!

When I was up last it was paved about half way up then it was gravel, it is 2 ways but very narrow, you are only going at 20-25 mph so its not bad going up, coming down just keep it in 1st or 2nd gear. There are some steep dropoffs, with no guardrails if you are afraid of heights it mite be alittle hairy. Also if its 85 at the bottom it will be 30 at the top so make sure you have warm clothes with. It is pretty cool and really worth the trip, Whiteface mtn is another neat ride. take the elevator to the top. Craig

Rode 2up to the top last year on the last day of September. The road is paved about half way up. Where it is gravel it is very well compacted so the surface is generally not a problem. Watch the edges because they can be a bit soft and broken. I rode mostly in 1st gear and did not try to rush it. The biggest challenges were one the cages in front of me stopping on the road, so stay back from them so you can always keep moving and two the vans travel quite quickly both up and down so it can be a bit nerve wracking when they are coming at you. If you keep moving and don't get in a rush you will be fine. I will admit that on the way up my sweetie asked if I was scared 3 different times and twice I had to admit I was. Coming down was not a problem for me and was not scared for that part of the ride. Dress way warmer than you need to be at the bottom because when you get to the top it will be much cooler than at the bottom. There are not many places you will want to stop and drag stuff out of the bags to put on. For our ride it was 75F at the bottom and 37F with the wind chill at the top. If I remember right there is a sign at the bottom that tells you what the wind chill temp is at the top. Have a great ride and take pics. Don't forget to stop at the little store at the bottom and get your "This Motorcycle Has Been To The Top of Mount Washington" bumper sticker. The ride is a blast.

Took that ride 2 years ago in my truck, not something i will do again. Felt like i was loosing sight of the road afew times but took it slow and easy. The trip down isnt bad at all for your on the inside lane most of the time. It was a once in a life time event for me, but all and all well worth it.

Enjoy and have a great time.

My wife and I went up it, oh, about 4 years ago. Good pavement about half way up then compact gravel. We went up early in the Morning not too much traffic at all going up. The parking lot at the top was a bugger to negotiate, due to the over size gravel.

Coming back down around the Noon hour there was lots of traffic heading up. The top section was a bit tricky due to the Two way traffic and narrow road but manageable. Use low gears on the way down and little to no brakes,if you can, my rear brake failed, I guess it overheated, as, after riding on the open road for a while it started to work as normal. The view from the top was well worth it though.

Keith.

Did it 2 years ago,got the shirt and won't be doing it any time soon. First mile or 2 is a breeze as you're in the treeline. View is great but concentrate on your driving. We did most of it in 1st gear (up AND down). Cars and vans were a real PITA. I was informed by my lovely wife that if I EVER want to do it again, I WILL be doing it alone.

Was up two weeks ago. Paved 3/4 and hard packed gravel rest of way. Narrow two way, worst problem is traffic taking more than their share. Had a friend meet a road grader on gravel and hard to stop. Next to impossible to stop sliding backwards with just front brakes. If you go up make sure you use bike gearing and not your brakes. Have been up twiced and that is probably my last. Getting to old I guess.